Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this kinda near me, is this a good price? any issues with the hybrid?
i would be upgrading from my 2012 mdx, which has 123k miles.

also does the advanced package for the hybrid come with the adaptive suspension? (worried about changing out later as miles go up)
would you guys wait for a 2021 or is this a pretty solid deal? or am i stupid and should just run my gen2 to the ground? haha

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The +2017 tech/Adv hybrids all have electronic dampers. A different set-up compared to the 2nd Gen 07-09 Sport and 10-13 Adv MDX with ADS magnetic struts/shocks. So far, I've haven't heard about the any electronic dampers failing randomly like the magnetic ones. My 19 MDX Adv hybrid handles better with the electronic dampers and thinner tires compared to my 11 MDX Adv with magnetic suspension and wider 20" aftermarket tires.

Acura made an update to all +18 MDXs hybrids with:
  • Carplay
  • updated touch screen function and resolution
  • updated chrome trim around front seat controls
  • more real wood trim around center console gear/cup/ash tray area
Just make sure all services have been done and really double-check to make sure the Acura tech knows the differences between the hybrid and 3.5L MDX (not that many hybrids on the road). The tech put in 6.5 qt of engine oil in my hybrid when it only takes 4.5 qt. The 7DCT and rear diff/electric motors uses the same fluid (not the same in the 9AT and 3.5L sh-awd rear diff). The hybrid has two cooling systems that take the same type of coolant and the hybrid has larger front brake rotors.

I really like hybrid power and I don't think I will ever go back to non hybrid vehicle again. I ended up getting the RLX sport hybrid because I like the MDX hybrid so much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
drive it and you may be hooked. The 7 speed DCT transmission is fantastic and Acura figured out how to make the best of a DCT, either put an electric motor or torque converter in front of it, and let it behave like it should. We have a 2019 with 17K miles on it and love it. And in town mileage is good. we can get anywhere from 22 to 36mpg on an in town trip. The engine runs till it get to operating temps so short trips in cold weather take a mileage hit, but summer time and trips > about 10 miles can often get us in the 30+mpg range and we average close to the claimed mileage. We so far average about 25 in town and 28 on the highway all hand calculated. As on most cars the in car display is optimistic.

And the dual rear motors seem to do a better job of torque vectoring in cornering than the regular MDX. Car acts more like a RWD car than a FWD car.

Biggest downside it you can't tow with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, all Sport Hybrids come with the adaptive suspension. When I did my comparison shopping in 2017 the Hybrid road and drove like a much more refined vehicle than the MDX. After 3 years it has been one of the best cars I've owned, great handling, performance, luxury and if you stay out of Sport+ mode, good economy. All of us that bought a Sport Hybrid in 2017 had to pay near sticker as the dealers would not trade with each other. The Hybrid production remains at only 5% of all MDXs so it is very limited. If it hasn't been in an accident, get it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have owned 5 MDXs since September 2000 and my 2018 Advanced Hybrid is by far the very best yet. I agree with the other comments here. Every time I drive it I enjoy it. About twice a month I try out the Sport + mode and it takes off like my old Corvettes including the speed, sound, and engine/transmission shifting points. A great Car!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
MDX is due for re-design for 2021 model. At this time, we are not sure if it will happen or push back to 2022. As Acura announced new 2021 TLX earlier this week, I suspect it will still happen, but the sale date might be delay.

I love my 2019 Hybrid, but I also keep my 1st Gen (2002) MDX as spare car (2002 still run great, just has more road noise and drinking gas faster, 17mpg, compares with Hybrid, 27mpg). If you are looking for upgrade and like the current design, do a test drive and negotiate the price. According to KBB, the fair market value is between 32K to 36K in your area.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
As stated here. Check the oil level. I had to take mine back to have the oil change redone. They just don’t pay attention. Especially if it was done at a VW dealer. Actually,they probably looked it up. The Acura dealer didn’t.
28,000 miles. We love it. It’s especially nice during the pandemic. Can creep in drive through lines with the engine off. Maybe the engine turns on twice while in a 15 min line. That was the first car to have the body color lower moldings.
Nav system sucks and no CarPlay.
Don't know about CA prices. Use KBB or one of the other ones to see if the price is right. Maybe,they could throw in another hundred for new maps.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
MDX is due for re-design for 2021 model. At this time, we are not sure if it will happen or push back to 2022. As Acura announced new 2021 TLX earlier this week, I suspect it will still happen, but the sale date might be delay.

I love my 2019 Hybrid, but I also keep my 1st Gen (2002) MDX as spare car (2002 still run great, just has more road noise and drinking gas faster, 17mpg, compares with Hybrid, 27mpg). If you are looking for upgrade and like the current design, do a test drive and negotiate the price. According to KBB, the fair market value is between 32K to 36K in your area.
You’re also talking a big price increase. However,used prices will go down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool thanks, i don't plan to tow so that's not an issue. and yea i also just looked up kbb and nada and it appears ~36k is the high fair market value for this. they probably added another 2k on for rarity haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts