Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Business end of the auger - you stand on the platform, turn the ship steering wheel, and down she goes! What fun, really rattles your teeth. No fun when it encounters an obstruction.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Last one for now

Substructure develops - an extended Indian summer brings 60 degree temperatures to late November, forcing me to work. Unfortunately no pix of cementing in the posts, working under the gun to get them in before the sun went down at 5:00 - why didn't I do this during the summer?

2 x 10 construction, could park the X on this thing!

Tuesdays high winds and heavy snow making further work a real pain, the good times are over - but laying the decking is a breeze

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You're buidling a deck not the pyramids

Man ghost talk about equipment overkill. :rolleyes: You could drill for oil with that rig. 12" diameter holes would be great for planting trees but 4"x4" posts? Will the 4' depth be enough to get below the permafrost. Need 3.5' in Chicago to get below the frost line and we don't have to dodge glaciers down here like you. Inspite of your overexcavation the deck looks pretty cool.:cool: Is that redwood or cedar for the joists?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Wow! Looks great! Assume you're screwing down the decking? We nailed ours on the "first run". On the second 're-do' the guys screwed it down. Makes all the difference if you have to replace a board, chase out a family of 'critters' or, otherwise, get under there for something.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
LOL - yea it is a tad overengineered, figured I'd rather err on the safe side... I didn't mention that I put 8" cardboard forms in the 12" holes - that's just about right for 4x4s.

With typical early-season snowpacks the ground usually won't freeze below a couple feet, plus I'm counting on global warming to help out a bit...

The joists are a brown-treated western pine (you know I'm too much of a granola to use redwood, besides, I couldn't afford it :) )

DMor, yup, I've learned not to do stuff I can't undo. Cool thing about the decking is that there's no surface screws; it's attached to the joists with T-clips between each pair of boards. Also, since it's synthetic - it doesn't get more expensive for longer pieces. I bought them all in 20 ft lengths, so every board runs the full length - no joints! :cool: (Or they will, assuming I get them all attached someday :))

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I actually have to replace the planking on my deck(s) this Spring so I am curious to what type of synthetic material you are using. The T-Clip fastening sounds even more intriquing since the current boards are nailed not screwed thus, I have nail pops all over the place. Show a picture or 2 of the planking and clips - inquiring minds want to know!!:cool:

101 - 106 of 106 Posts