Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
remery,

I dont think you can have underground gas tanks in florida .. I dont HAVE to have a hot tub in my back yard.

In my neighborhood we have a clubhouse that has 2 jacuzi's and 3 pools ( 1 ) kiddie (2 ) relaxing with palm tree island in the middle ( 3 ) olympic size, 4 tennis courts, 2 raquetball courts, full gym, man made beach on a lake, vollyball,b-ball court, picnic area's, and 2 fishing peers. Heck I dont even cut my grass, its all done by the maintenance guy's. :rolleyes:

TECK!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
BellTeck said:
...In my neighborhood we have a clubhouse that has 2 jacuzi's and 3 pools ( 1 ) kiddie (2 ) relaxing with palm tree island in the middle ( 3 ) olympic size, 4 tennis courts, 2 raquetball courts, full gym, man made beach on a lake, vollyball,b-ball court, picnic area's, and 2 fishing peers. Heck I dont even cut my grass, its all done by the maintenance guy's. :rolleyes:
TECK!
Very nice, but it's Florida so why no shuffle board courts? Sound But maybe instead of a hot tub what you really need is a heated bird bath for all those Flamingos. :D:D:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
remery writes: "Very nice, but it's Florida so why no shuffle board courts? Sound But maybe instead of a hot tub what you really need is a heated bird bath for all those Flamingos"

Per Florida law, all shuffle board courts are only installed in retirement communities and on cruise ships. ( These courts are dangerous for younger people )

We have a bird bath ... heated by the sun and the flamingo's and parrots and the other 100 species of birds down here get fed very well in my backyard .. the wife calls it " Cat TV " as they sit in the window and cry because they want to eat them. every once in a while I open the patio door and let them run out into the screen .. its pretty funny :p

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
BellTeck said:
I wish I could remery but Natural Gas in South Florida is not very popular ( Besides the stuff made from cuban food :eek: ) My neighborhood does not allow tanks either .. I live in a gated community that is pretty strict & all utilities are undergound. I could have a contractor pipe electric in but im sure they would have to bust a wall in the garage to pipe it throught the attic and at least 100 feet back to the patio. Next problem would be the screened in porch . I would have to remove a screen to get the thing on the patio. After that it would be nice:)

TECK!
I hear you about all these strict rules - our county just passed an ordinance that gets you in trouble if you have more than 5 non-working cars in your yard. :eek:

Also, we like to burn part of the yard with a small running ground fire every few years, keeps down the willows, and just makes things looks nice. Now we have to go out and get a permit to do this - and they expect you to pay if the fire gets away a bit! What the heck is this country coming to!! :mad:

·
Registered
557 Posts
ghost said:

I hear you about all these strict rules - our county just passed an ordinance that gets you in trouble if you have more than 5 non-working cars in your yard. :eek:

Also, we like to burn part of the yard with a small running ground fire every few years, keeps down the willows, and just makes things looks nice. Now we have to go out and get a permit to do this - and they expect you to pay if the fire gets away a bit! What the heck is this country coming to!! :mad:

Well my mind is made up now .. ( Honey, were not moving to Duluth Minnesota. ) I would hate to live in an area that limits you to the amount of abandon automobiles you can have on your lot. And the fact that you can not let a fire burn unattended is just ludicrous .. people in Florida like to burn the heck out of things as you may have noticed on the television, we feel wildfire smoke keeps unwanted tourist away and the sweet smell of a burning malaluca tree followed by a month of sinus problems is just a blessing. :rolleyes:

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My fires have always been well attended! Nothing like bringing a few close friends together with a case of pale ale, some shovels and a blowtorch or two. Just like a bonfire, only wider. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
ghost said:
My fires have always been well attended! Nothing like bringing a few close friends together with a case of pale ale, some shovels and a blowtorch or two. Just like a bonfire, only wider. :D

LOL!! ... Ok ghost, I have the perfect game for you .. please follow the link :D

http://www.boneland.com/toys/aaa/index.html

Let us know how ya did !!

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Cute - I didn't do so well though, he was history after the first couple shots. The deer around here are pretty safe... :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ghost,

Nice shootin Tex, as you can tell we have a lot of people at work with way too much time on thier hands .. especially managers LOL!!

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Funny you should ask...

Here is the start of the next construction phase. See, to do the deck thing, I need to drill a bunch of 8" diameter holes down to 5 feet to sink the posts. To do that, I need to rent and haul a gas powered post hole digger home. But, alas, I currently have no towing capacity. (Can you see where this is going?)

Hence this box which arrived in my garage today - a shiny new MDX hitch and cooling package! (Thanks Tim!) :D

This will evolve into a new thread on how to, or not to, install the hitch, inspired by Obeejr's early post on doing this and encouragement from Tim (come to think of it, what's he got to lose :)). My Acura shop wanted no part of installing a hitch I bought elsewhere (for $100+ less!), and really, how hard can it be? :rolleyes: (Plan B will be to take the whole kit-n' kaboodle down to U-Haul...)

The operation seems to have 3 independent phases - electrical, hitch install, and coolers. Getting the first two things done will get my digger here, :eek: hopefully before snow flies...

So keep a'watching, this could get interesting!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Actually I think having a large boat to tow would be a better excuse, but hey, this'll work. The hitch gives me an excuse to go out and buy a torque wrench today :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Re: Funny you should ask...

ghost said:
Here is the start of the next construction phase. See, to do the deck thing, I need to drill a bunch of 8" diameter holes down to 5 feet to sink the posts. To do that, I need to rent and haul a gas powered post hole digger home. But, alas, I currently have no towing capacity. (Can you see where this is going?)...
C'mon ghost,
What's this about needing a gas powered auger. How about a simple ole post hole digger like we Midwesterners are so use to. Used one several times to dig 4'-5' foot holes. I would expect some fern bar type to opt for the power tool route but you are a hardy Minnesotan.

Seriously, if you do not have to dig more than 5 or 6 holes, a manual post hole digger will do fine. Also get some post hole cement which you pour in the hole and add water. Then put the post in and it will set in 10 minutes. It will take you about 15 minutes tops to dig each hole. A manual digger is also safer to use than a power auger.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Power!!

Back in the summer of 99 after we moved into our new house my builder offered to design the layout of the landscaping and purchase all the shrubs at his cost. All I had to do was put them in. Well after digging 68 holes in good ole Ohio clay with a post-hole digger and a spud bar I felt like a cat. I lost a few lives! Go power but be careful we don’t want to see if Ghosts can really fly. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your local Gas/Elec/Water utility company will come out for free and gladly spray paint the ground in ORANGE/YELLOW/GREEN. Almost perfect for Halloween. I still have some on our sidewalk from last summer's landscape project. Since marking their lines is a FREE service, I would highly encourage it for piece of mind/body and soul. Death is so messy. ;)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thanks DMor, my power company marked the line out to my meter, but refused to mark it from the meter to my house, which is precisely where I need it! So now I'll either simply pass my hands over the earth and sense the electricity by gestalt, or badger my electrician friend to give me a hand again.

Remery, this isn't that Illinois sand here, it's real dirt, full of real rock. I do own a post hole digger that I've cursed many a time - besides I'd miss the fun of working with big power machines (what I really want is a Bobcat :D)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What happens when rock meets power auger?

ghost,

We have clay not sand in my environs with some rocks but nothing that challenging. However, I too would love to have a Bobcat but John Deere's model is too large to park next to my tractor. Honda makes a nice little backhoe attachement for their garden tractor however!!:D:D

As for marking the underground electric service, your electric utility is obligated to mark it and if they give you chin music lodge a complaint with the MPSC. Within 24 hours of making the complaint you will here from the power company. If the latter is NSP, our client, you didn't here this from me!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
MDX as a construction rig

Tons of people have been asking about how this deck thing is going (well, OK, 2...), so here's an update.

The hole digging with the power auger went well - except that I had to install a hitch on my X so I could tow it home. That's a whole 'nother thread I have to get around to. Suffice to say I can now tow stuff :cool: (Now I need me a big fat old Airstream! :D:D)

So here's the X hauling a power auger - what a cool thing! I dug 7 4 foot deep, 12" diameter holes over a day. By hand this would have taken, well forever, cuz I wouldn't have dug them by hand :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
MDX as a construction rig

Tons of people have been asking about how this deck thing is going (well, OK, 2...), so here's an update.

The hole digging with the power auger went well - except that I had to install a hitch on my X so I could tow it home. That's a whole 'nother thread I have to get around to. Suffice to say I can now tow stuff :cool: (Now I need me a big fat old Airstream! :D:D)

So here's the X hauling a power auger - what a cool thing! I dug 7 4 foot deep, 12" diameter holes over a day. By hand this would have taken, well, forever, cuz I wouldn't have dug them by hand :)

Attachments

81 - 100 of 106 Posts