Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
ghost,
I am assuming that you prepared an environmental impact statement along with acquired all necessary county and municipal permits to embark upon this noble project. Are judiciously adherring to all building codes and of course running the 220 line in underground conduit to prevent par boiling of guests and family.;)

Also suggest you use mahagony for the decking since it will last longer and you just can't beat the color compared with the one weathered cedar turns.:D :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
remery said:
ghost,
I am assuming that you prepared an environmental impact statement along with acquired all necessary county and municipal permits to embark upon this noble project. Are judiciously adherring to all building codes and of course running the 220 line in underground conduit to prevent par boiling of guests and family.;)

Also suggest you use mahagony for the decking since it will last longer and you just can't beat the color compared with the one weathered cedar turns.:D :D
Codes? We don't need no stinkin' codes! :D

The 220 is underground, but the codes say to run conduit down 18 inches under the ground, then those bare naked wires can run happily underground until they enter the next 18" conduit to reemerge into the tub.

Unfortunately, I can't ecologically justify using mahogany for the deck, but did find a great product made from recycled plastics that has a great redwood finish and doesn't need stain. And it's only a little bit more expensive than veneer-quality mahogany would be... :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
BellTeck said:
Oh great ,
ghost is showing us all his deck .. next thing you know he'll be flashing his X :eek:

Is there going to be a fence around that tub or you gunna share with the neighbors? :p

TECK!
Dude, got no neighbors! Advantage of living in a place most people have the common sense not to live in...

I was going to comment on the typar and ask if you use the typar in the X as a sunshade too? :rolleyes:

TECK! [/B]
Brilliant! I will now! :D:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
ghost writes:

" Dude, got no neighbors! Advantage of living in a place most people have the common sense not to live in... "

PERK! Just put a roof on it, remember those satellite photos LOL! :rolleyes: :p :eek: :eek: :cool:

TECK!

·
Registered
557 Posts
And watch those sunflowers... they bring a lot of bee's :eek:

TECK!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmmmm .. dont think so LOL!!

:p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Where are Norm and Steve?

C'mon ghost, when are we going to see this on This Old House with you, in your best Boston accent, discussing the finer points of artic construction with Steve and Norm!:D :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sorry, my fingers been too wrinkled to type! :D

The spa came Friday, but I had to spend the day bribing my electrician friend by laying 400 yards of sod in his yard (making the tub kind of a necessity). Did the wiring on Saturday, went well, only one small incident that took out the dryer and baseboard heating for a short time. Took till midnight to hit 104, but it doesn't seem to take much energy to keep it there.

It's a great spa, the jets on high pretty much lift the kids out of the water :D The lounge chair is great, and the built in Internet access is a real plus! (kidding about that;)). I just got out after watching the harvest moon come up over the trees, deciding this was a good thing afterall.... :)

Sorry about the dark picture, but otherwise it looks like a tub sitting in the middle of a construction site, loses a lot of it's mystique... The snow will take care of that little problem. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Very Nice .. Very Nice ..

Is that you in the tub ghost ? that spot floating on the top? :p
Harvest moon huh? no need to post the fertalizing moon pics LOL!

You know you'll have to park your X close to that tub to keep it warm through the winter. :cool:

How much was the whole setup? 4-5K ?

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
DMor said:
Wow LOOKS GREAT! I also noticed the addition of a little yard light in the lower left corner. Look'n pretty civilized! :)
Thanks, I'm liking it! Those lights are little solar powered LED deals from Target, they work great - I'm hoping they keep the deer from drinking out of the thing... :)

Teck, it ended up a bit north of 5 K, and that's after they took a lot off an inflated starting price - it's a lot like buying a car!

I did get the option where you loop the spa water through the MDX's radiator to keep it warm. :D:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
I dont think the deer will like the chemicals in it. You could put a salt lick on the other side of the house or back in the woods.

Looks great ghost, I would love to put one in but my biggest problem is the 220V to the patio. :confused:

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
As long as you got room for a 50 Amp breaker in your box, you can do it; just run some 6 Amp (might as well do it right) line out of your house and into a GFCI box on your outside wall, and then bury or conduit some outside line to the tub. Took us about 3 hours and $200 in electrical supplies (6 amp is about a buck a foot). Make sure you run a T1 line out there while you're at it! :D

P.S. Congrats on your 300th post!

·
Registered
557 Posts
The T1 would be easy .. but running the 6amp would be the hard part the way my house is set up and into the screened in patio. I do have 110 to the patio so if its a direct route from the breaker box I could run it through there.

LOL on the 300th .. im a X rookie compared to you guy's.

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
BellTeck said:
The T1 would be easy .. but running the 6amp would be the hard part the way my house is set up and into the screened in patio. I do have 110 to the patio so if its a direct route from the breaker box I could run it through there.
Actually, I think there's some spas that run off 110, they just don't let you heat and run the jets simultaneously. Since you live in a Warm Place, that probably doesn't matter.

LOL on the 300th .. im a X rookie compared to you guy's.
TECK!
All in good time, young Jedi! But you have to go for quality over quantity! (ahem, not that I'm implying we have copious posters... :))

·
Registered
557 Posts
Looks like I'll just stick with my kiddie pool and a bowl of chili for now LOL!! :eek:

Ghost writes: "All in good time, young Jedi! But you have to go for quality over quantity!"

Disclaimer - All my posts come with a complete money back guarentee and if you act quickly we will even add some of these silly little faces to each one that you can keep even if your not completely satisfied.:p :rolleyes::p :rolleyes: :D :eek: :confused:

TECK! :cool:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
BellTeck,
If the 220 is a problem, why don't you consider getting one that is heated with natural gas? Right now gas is a whole lot cheaper than electricity. I am assuming that the circulation pump(s) can run on 110. Plus your gas utility will love you since it will do wonders for their load factor.:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wish I could remery but Natural Gas in South Florida is not very popular ( Besides the stuff made from cuban food :eek: ) My neighborhood does not allow tanks either .. I live in a gated community that is pretty strict & all utilities are undergound. I could have a contractor pipe electric in but im sure they would have to bust a wall in the garage to pipe it throught the attic and at least 100 feet back to the patio. Next problem would be the screened in porch . I would have to remove a screen to get the thing on the patio. After that it would be nice:)

Ghost, you'll have to give us an update on the elec bill to see if there is a major rise or if its not too bad. :rolleyes:

TECK!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
So much for gated communities. You ought to move back here to Chicago where there is plenty of natural gas.;) One more thought, does your subdivision convenants prohibit underground propane tanks? If not how bad do you want a hot tub in Florida?:confused:

61 - 80 of 106 Posts