21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
ghm2112 said:
ghost:
in the spirit of your last post, I offer an image from our honeymoon...:D

Happy Trails
Hmm... am I the only one who noticed he's ALONE! Must have been a *rosy* honeymoon.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
MGTD said:
We have a sundance spa and have had it about 6 years. It was very pricey (~$4.5k) when we bought it. I does use 220v which you will have to allow.

For us we use it almost every night in the winter (does not get much below 32F here). It is a great warming tool and also a good place to chat about the days events with the spouse etc.

You do have to keep up with it a bit. Tablets every 5 days and shock about once a week to 10 days with dailey use. 3 to 4 time per year for water change. Heating seems only to be about 15 to $20 per month which includes running jets etc.

We hate and do not use the bubbler feature. We also have the ozone thing which is a waste and does not pay for itself I think, although we still use it. Hard to say.

In the summer it does not get used as much if the nightime temps are not about 65F. Another consideration is hardness of your water. Deposits can build up on the surface it you have a lot of calcium.

Chris
Thanks for the note Chris, tubs are still pricey, but the definition of pricey has gone up quite a bit since you've bought yours!

Using it nightly is pretty heavy use, sounds like you're getting your money's worth out of it! I figure we'll use it about 3 times a week, but our winter temps rarely get above 32, so our heating costs would probably be similar to yours.

By bubbler, do you mean the big jet near your feet, or are you referring to other jets? The dealers really tout the ozone thing, and intuitivly I like the idea, but I suppose it's hard to tell if it actually works. The model I'm looking at has a circulation loop that continually ozonates the water.

Happy tubbin'!

·
Registered
479 Posts
My Man Atlanta:
Neither Rosie nor any of her kin were present on the 'moon. Just for you, though, I've attached an image of the 'other half' of this illusory equation
:D

ghost: i get that all the time. :rolleyes: so you, too, are familiar with the difficulties of being a hunk. Maybe we can start an off topic support group:D btw, how are Esmerelda's dictation skills?:eek:

Happy Trails

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wish I could add music to posts .. if it was possible I would add Eddie Murphy's - James Brown version of " Gettin in the hot tub " song here.

HAaaaaa .. Shobee doo wahh .. uhhhh jump back.

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ghm2112 said:

btw, how are Esmerelda's dictation skills?:eek:

Happy Trails
Not so hot, but she makes up for it in other ways... ;)

What, she's good at word processing, what were you thinking? :D:D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well...that was a tough post to follow...but someone's gotta do it!:)

We have an old Jacuzzi in deck spa. If I was going to do it again...I would consider one of those portable...one piece jobs that you can actually take with you. Not that I'd get it for portability...but I like the idea of having all plumbing readily accessible and you could set it a little low and build a nice deck w/steps up to it. Some of these cabinets are really nice...redwood, etc.. I don't remember the prices...expensive tho. $5-7K?

I designed our in ground spa many moons ago and the sides break free to expose some PVC pipes...jet joints, etc. These are important things to consider since you want to leave enough crawl space for a plumber.

The best Spa Chemicals out there are BAQUA SPA products. http://www.baquaspa.com/ Clorine and Bromine Free. Great stuff. We used to use those tablets...hated 'em...this is a huge improvement.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
DMor said:
Well...that was a tough post to follow...but someone's gotta do it!:)

We have an old Jacuzzi in deck spa. If I was going to do it again...I would consider one of those portable...one piece jobs that you can actually take with you. Not that I'd get it for portability...but I like the idea of having all plumbing readily accessible and you could set it a little low and build a nice deck w/steps up to it. Some of these cabinets are really nice...redwood, etc.. I don't remember the prices...expensive tho. $5-7K?

I designed our in ground spa many moons ago and the sides break free to expose some PVC pipes...jet joints, etc. These are important things to consider since you want to leave enough crawl space for a plumber.

The best Spa Chemicals out there are BAQUA SPA products. http://www.baquaspa.com/ Clorine and Bromine Free. Great stuff. We used to use those tablets...hated 'em...this is a huge improvement.
Thanks DMor, I should have expected that you designed the spa, plumbed it in, and probably built your own fusion system to synthesize water out of hydrogen & oxygen... :)

Most of the new systems are self-contained with redwood or cedar shells, very nice, very pricey - $5-7 K is right. I'm planning on building a deck around it that is level with it on side A, steps down to ground level on sides B & C, and has a ground-level walkway on side D - this will allow access to the pumps, plumbing etc. Creating a stable surface will be a key thing - they usually want you to lay a 4 inch slab. I've done enough cement work for the rest of my life, so I built a treated 2 x 4 frame with 1 ft centers. This seems overengineered enough that I can't imaging it going anywhere...

So hey, your pictures are welcome too! ghm and I were brave enough... :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey...sounds GREAT! All you need to remember is to leave enough room for guests to sit up on the edge. Many of these spas don't incorporated much "rear-end room" on the lip. We incorporated the spa area with our existing trellis and framed the sides with some posts with hooks for towels, robes, etc.

Which spa did you get? Or are you still looking? We looked at the Jacuzzi Quantum...Pinnacle and a few others. Jacuzzi Jets seemed superior...IMO. Our current spa is simple and 20 years old...still running strong. Jets are REALLY powerful. We had a light installed last year. We couldn't justify a complete replacement since we'd have to crane this baby OUT and we'd probably demo the deck...So...we'll WAIT for it to die...then do a redesign. This will probably be next year's project.

Our current deck is build LEVEL with the top of the spa lip. This is personal preference...but gives it a more BUILT IN feeling and I think it looks better...IMO. Otherwise, you see the Jacuzzi Lip up over the deck. Also lets you sit on the outside without negotiating a 4" fiberglass hump. Entering is also a little easier...no tripping over the hump and most importantly...doesn't 'catch' the bottom of the wine glass! ;) Looks a little cleaner IMO. Most of the brochures show them with the lip exposed tho.

·
Registered
925 Posts
DMor said:
...I would consider one of those portable...one piece jobs that you can actually take with you.
Ok,

This sounds like an animated Gif in the making. Anyone care to try to put DMor in a protable Hot Tub trailing behind her MDX? DMor ago ago. Of course she'd be on her way to HD. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think the 2003 MDX should have the HotTub option with rear sunroof. They can heat the water with the 300 horse V6 that will be in it. Of course they will be targeting the MTV cribs crowd with this vehicle. :D :cool: :p

TECK!

·
Registered
452 Posts
ghost said:

Thanks for the note Chris, tubs are still pricey, but the definition of pricey has gone up quite a bit since you've bought yours!

Using it nightly is pretty heavy use, sounds like you're getting your money's worth out of it! I figure we'll use it about 3 times a week, but our winter temps rarely get above 32, so our heating costs would probably be similar to yours.

By bubbler, do you mean the big jet near your feet, or are you referring to other jets? The dealers really tout the ozone thing, and intuitivly I like the idea, but I suppose it's hard to tell if it actually works. The model I'm looking at has a circulation loop that continually ozonates the water.

Happy tubbin'!
Ghost: Our winter temps RARELY get BELOW 32 F so I don't think they will be the same.:D

Anyway the bubbler is the air pump that sounds like a vacuum. They also call it the Aroma Therapy device etc. It is so noisy and the bubbles so strong we find it less than relaxing.:mad:

As far as the ozone. Yes it runs all the time but only when the pump is on I would think unless yours would be different. On mine the recommended pump duration is about 2 hrs per day but with the ozone it is suggested that it should be more like 6 hrs per day. Since it's only purpose is to use less bromine I would say the bromine is cheaper than running the pump. However we probably do keep less bromine concentration in the pool and maybe the ozone helps here. My wife hates the chlorine/bromine smell.

One thing we do like is the air induction of the water jets. It makes it much stronger for focus areas. We also don't use the whirlpool jet very much either. My young daughter use to like it to swim against.

Chris

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
RE: Chlorine/Bromine smell? The Baqua Spa System system completely eliminates that. Try it...you'll love it. Really. I hated the bromine tablet and dispenser running around along with the chemical smell. www.baquaspa.com

RE: Cement pad vs. other? Any engineers out there? What's the general consensus??

Personally, I wouldn't consider setting a new spa on ANYTHING other than cement. Ours is on a cement pad. No worries

Must consider...water, heat, ground expansion, body/spa weight with 500 gallons of water...Plus the lower grade, spa overflow and general moisture that accumulates around the spa. Plus drainage, etc.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
DMor said:
Hey...sounds GREAT! All you need to remember is to leave enough room for guests to sit up on the edge. Many of these spas don't incorporated much "rear-end room" on the lip. We incorporated the spa area with our existing trellis and framed the sides with some posts with hooks for towels, robes, etc.

Which spa did you get? Or are you still looking? We looked at the Jacuzzi Quantum...Pinnacle and a few others. Jacuzzi Jets seemed superior...IMO. Our current spa is simple and 20 years old...still running strong. Jets are REALLY powerful. We had a light installed last year. We couldn't justify a complete replacement since we'd have to crane this baby OUT and we'd probably demo the deck...So...we'll WAIT for it to die...then do a redesign. This will probably be next year's project.
We did a bunch of research on spas last year, and really like one by Dimension One, (a California company, whadya know) called the Aurora II. One neat thing is that it has a single person recliner seat built in, with a set of sequencer jets. Nice concept! Also, they seem well built, and have a pretty sophisticated control panel for turning on different sets of jets. No sound system though... You can check em out at www.d1spas.com.

Haven't purchased yet, we're planning to do a 'wet test' later this week :)

Our current deck is build LEVEL with the top of the spa lip. This is personal preference...but gives it a more BUILT IN feeling and I think it looks better...IMO. Otherwise, you see the Jacuzzi Lip up over the deck. Also lets you sit on the outside without negotiating a 4" fiberglass hump. Entering is also a little easier...no tripping over the hump and most importantly...doesn't 'catch' the bottom of the wine glass! ;) Looks a little cleaner IMO. Most of the brochures show them with the lip exposed tho.
I like the built-in idea, but how do you put a cover on if the deck is flush up against the tub? Most have a cover that fits over the tub like a jar cap, and is about 4 inches deep. I'm thinking an easy way around this is to build some little 4" high moveable seats that could snug up against the tub when it's in use.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
DMor said:
RE: Chlorine/Bromine smell? The Baqua Spa System system completely eliminates that. Try it...you'll love it. Really. I hated the bromine tablet and dispenser running around along with the chemical smell. www.baquaspa.com

RE: Cement pad vs. other? Any engineers out there? What's the general consensus??

Personally, I wouldn't consider setting a new spa on ANYTHING other than cement. Ours is on a cement pad. No worries

Must consider...water, heat, ground expansion, body/spa weight with 500 gallons of water...Plus the lower grade, spa overflow and general moisture that accumulates around the spa. Plus drainage, etc.
I've been hanging out on a hot tub site this week and posted some questions on using a wood frame. It really sends them into a tizzy to suggest anything other than a concrete pad, although a tub on a wooden frame is a heck of a lot like a tub on a deck... I did get a good debate going tho.

Still, since I have my hole dug, maybe it's just a small extra step to haul home 40 80lb bags of cement (will I need the coolers for this?), whip them up in a rented mixer, and pour it in. I swore I'd never do this again... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cement is your best and most permanent bet...me thinks. I believe the warranty also required CEMENT.

I suppose you've built a drain? You can also get a pump and avoid the slow drain issue. Ours is 500 gallons...yours will be 300 so...will take about...hmmmm...30 to pump out and maybe 35-40 to fill? We let it drain...plus use the pump...we have no patience. ;) I bought a SHOP VAC QPV 12 gallon wet/dry that actually PUMPS the water through. Very neat. Much cleaner and quieter than our gas pump.

If you deck up to the spa level...you leave the top portion of the lip exposed. Does your spa come with a cover? Site said something about 4" cover, but no pic. Most of those showroom covers have skirts. Hmmm. If NOT...you can have a custom cover cut to the exact shape of your spa surface w/o skirt. Sonoma Spa Covers, 8652 N. Magnolia, Suite 38, Santee, CA 92071 (619) 596-7772 , makes many of the covers for these spa manufacturers. Our custom cut, 2.5" FOAM cover was $265 in '99 and we selected from standard vinyl fabric colors. I actually made a paper template and sent it to her. Maybe you can skip over the middle man and order direct and save $$$. We requested a flat cover without flaps/skirts. Foam thickness varies. With ours, you just flip it over, line it up and its done ...no tucking, etc. Your weather may require a thicker foam or a skirt. But not sure the skirt makes that much difference.

You can also get fiberglass shells that are sturdy enough for people & heavy pets to walk over. We've got a 13lb dog...no problems with our foam cover tho. Sounds like yours will be on a corner and unlikely to warrant traffic issues...so fiberglass is probably unnecessary.

The only thing that MIGHT be a problem is SNOW on the existing deck area? I don't know if a couple of inches of snow on the deck would make for a 'second set' of cold cheeks or not? But it would probably drop through the seams anyway and would tend to melt around the spa due to the heat.

Are you using real wood or TREX? Did you check out the Ever New railing system? Heh...don't get me $tarted. :)

Dimension One on Business Park Drive in Vista is a 20 minute ride. I can't remember if we checked out those guys or not. I will have to dig for my notes. I made a point of terrorizing most of them in my travels! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
DMor, Thanks for mentioning the shop vac. I always let it drain overnight and clean and fill the next day, but it's such a pain sopping up the remaining water that's lower than the drain hole. I have a shop vac, I just never thought of it for that application!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
elf89 said:
DMor, Thanks for mentioning the shop vac. I always let it drain overnight and clean and fill the next day, but it's such a pain sopping up the remaining water that's lower than the drain hole. I have a shop vac, I just never thought of it for that application!
FYI...this is a special PUMP STYLE ShopVac <a href="http://www.shopvac.com/web/products/index.shtml">ShopVac Link</a>

Only problem I've had with this one is the INTAKE uses the regular hoses, but the OUTFLOW/PUMP hooks to a garden hose. I've had to reduce the INTAKE device with pipe-wrap tape so the Tank itself doesn't fill up and instead, pumps straight through. Their engineering flaw...but easily overcome and they may have fixed this on the newer units...don't know.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like to make bubbles in it when its off <G> :eek:

TECK!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
BellTeck said:
I like to make bubbles in it when its off <G> :eek:

TECK!