Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet a lot of you that have MDXs also have hot tubs, probably on really nice decks. I'm hoping to be one of those people soon, and am interested in hearing from you tubbers out there.

Specifically, what kind do you have, do you like it, what would you do different? For that matter post a pic of you and your tub! (at your own discretion of course, you know what happens to pics that get on this site ;))

I'm looking at Dimension One's Aurora II model, although HotSpring and Sundance also have dealerships up here. As an incentive to getting it, I spent the weekend digging a 8' x 8' by 8" hole to fill with sand - now I'm committed (or outta be...)

·
Registered
925 Posts
DMOR,

This has your name written all over it! :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
No hot tub--

Would like one though. Got a 28 foot above ground pool though with a huge deck around it. Maybe some day when I get my sunroom I'll get my hot tub. :)

Lmeans

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ghost:
Are you looking for a fiberglass, jets, and nat gas heated one? I have a good friend whose redwood w/ wood stove-heated tub (i.e., a true hot tub versus a Jacuzzi spa type) is really great and may be what you're looking for if the more 'organic' approach is to your liking.:D :eek:

Happy Trails.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're going to go with the fiberglass, jets and insulated spa rather than a true hot tub - too darn cold here for the real thing.

Besides, we already have a sauna (pronounced sow-na here) for that natural, sweat-it-out and roll-in-the-snow experience. :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
ghost said:
... sauna (pronounced sow-na here) ...
Ya! You betcha! You don't say!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Okay, I've never had a hot tub, have never been in a hot tub. What is the primary attraction to them? Relaxation? Soreness relief? Socializing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never thought I'd be a hot tub person, but the house we bought last year had one installed already, so now I am.

The whole family really enjoys it. I keep the temp just under 100, which is a little lower than I like it, but keeps it comfortable for the kids. It is a perfect pool for a 3-year old, because they can touch almost everywhere. Adult supervision required at all times, of course.

Ours is outdoors, and I've heard of a lot of moisture problems with indoor tubs. I'm surprised at how great it is even when it's cold here in Wisconsin. It's kind of fun to soak with snow coming down. The run into the house is a bit chilly, but you feel very invigorated once you're inside.

The maintenance was a pain at first when I was being very careful about it. Now, I refill the bromine and throw some shock and control in only about every 2 weeks. I change the water and give it a good scrub 3-4 times a year.

Ours is pretty basic, but the one feature I wish it had was a decent thermostat. Ours has a dial that is not consistent. When it gets warm outside, you have to turn it down.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the note Elf, our boys, 5 and 9 are already bugging us about when it's going to get here, I have to point out that we haven't actually bought one yet.

Ours will be outdoors too, the only way to go, and we're looking at one with an ozone system is supposed to reduce the amount of chemicals you need to use.

I think relaxation/stress relief is my biggest attraction to getting one - and it's a much better family thing to do than watching the tube :) Also a nice way to be outdoors on a winter's evening...

Gosh, kind of wish I had it already :)

Here's an aside: its our 5 year old's first day of kindergarten today - we put him on the bus, showed up at school and watched him get off. Looks like it's going OK so far :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
ghost,
We have been looking at hot tubs for a number of years but just have trouble justifying the cost. We have an indoor whirlpool tub that fits one person which is also another deterent. Couple of thought. First natural gas versus electric. Electric is usually more expensive but you guys in Minnesota have some of the cheapest rates in the country. Second, how much will you actually use it. A friend of ours uses his as a soaking pool in the summer but for you that would only be 2 weeks out of the year!!! Third, before you buy one, ask to try it out in the store with your bathing suit to determine comfort and jet configuration. Finally, have the store deliver and set it up. If it's electric you will need a 220V outlet or have it hard wired. If it's natural gas you will need a pipe stub on the outside of the house with a shutoff valve for it inside.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Rem, you'll need to bill an outdoor tub as a different kind of experience, and one you need after a long day on the John Deere! :)

No natural gas up here - we do have something called off-peak electricity here though, use it to run the baseboard heat and the heating cables under my basement slab, as well as a couple other sundry electrical things. It's something like 4 cents per kwh, but they have the option of turning it off during peak demand; usually for a couple hours (means you need a backup heat system though). So I could run it on off-peak (and risk some unintended cooldowns), or bite the bullet and put it on the mainline, about twice as much per kwh). And yes, I'll need to punch a 220V outside, with whatever kind of conduit it takes.

We're planning to do the store thing next week, suits in hand (well, I guess we'll put them on :eek: )

·
Registered
479 Posts
The main attraction for us has always been relaxation, although it is also a great way to soothe the aching bod after strenuous activities. In my more randy days it was also a pretty great place to wind up with your date(s) after...:D

I concur with rem re: checking out the jet configuration. also check out the depth-to-seat. I've seen some that are great for all body sizes and some where the vertically challenged can sit in only 1 or two spots and still have their head above water.

i've never been a fan of indoor pools and spas partly because of the moisture issue but also because of air quality issues. it probably isn't too bad for you but i get enough chlorine in my drinking water. besides it's easier to stargaze when you're outside...

Happy Trails.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
ghost said:
... It's something like 4 cents per kwh, but they have the option of turning it off during peak demand; usually for a couple hours (means you need a backup heat system though). So I could run it on off-peak (and risk some unintended cooldowns), or bite the bullet and put it on the mainline, about twice as much per kwh)...
Go with the off-peak and make sure you have an insulated cover to put over the top. If you don't have gas then I am guessing most folks heat with electricity up in the tundra. The hot tub will act as a heat sink so having the juice off for short periods should effect much if the shell is well insulated which I believe most electric tubs (spas) are.

Hmmm, this is the second series of posts that I am giving you advise on how to keep you butt or your family's warm up in the tundra. Maybe there's a consulting opportunity in the making?:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ghm2112 said:
The main attraction for us has always been relaxation, although it is also a great way to soothe the aching bod after strenuous activities. In my more randy days it was also a pretty great place to wind up with your date(s) after...:D

Like I said, ghm, pictures are welcome! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ghost,

Your boys will love the hot tub. You'll just have to watch out for hot tub parties when they get into high school!

Hope your little guy had a great day at school.

·
Registered
479 Posts
ghost said:

Like I said, ghm, pictures are welcome! :D
ghost:

The Fifth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America states:

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

Although not criminal (at least in California), the activities in question probably fall within the general category of 'infamous' and are definitely within the realm of 'navel' (as opposed 'naval') forces. Now, if you were to offer 'just compensation'...:eek: :eek: :D

Happy Trails.:cool:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My family wants a full ...

... pool before a hot tub. But the price:eek:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ghm2112 said:

ghost:

The Fifth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America states:

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

Although not criminal (at least in California), the activities in question probably fall within the general category of 'infamous' and are definitely within the realm of 'navel' (as opposed 'naval') forces. Now, if you were to offer 'just compensation'...:eek: :eek: :D

Happy Trails.:cool:
Good point, but with all due respect, if I were going to pony up compensation - I'd be pretty careful to screen which members of the site I'd offer it to! :)

But a hot tub thread does need some images - here's one of me and my secretary Esmerelda checking out one of the models:

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
We have a sundance spa and have had it about 6 years. It was very pricey (~$4.5k) when we bought it. I does use 220v which you will have to allow.

For us we use it almost every night in the winter (does not get much below 32F here). It is a great warming tool and also a good place to chat about the days events with the spouse etc.

You do have to keep up with it a bit. Tablets every 5 days and shock about once a week to 10 days with dailey use. 3 to 4 time per year for water change. Heating seems only to be about 15 to $20 per month which includes running jets etc.

We hate and do not use the bubbler feature. We also have the ozone thing which is a waste and does not pay for itself I think, although we still use it. Hard to say.

In the summer it does not get used as much if the nightime temps are not about 65F. Another consideration is hardness of your water. Deposits can build up on the surface it you have a lot of calcium.

Chris

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
About this Discussion
105 Replies
13 Participants
remery
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing