Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
856 Posts
Any other users out there with this system. If so, please provide your opinions. I intend to get the Audiovox VBP2000 VCP with 5" screen. The system comes with two headphone jacks and apparently will accept one audio/video source. They are currently going for $299 at Circuit City. Not an advanced solution but hey, I only take a few long trips each year. I may purchase the protection plan (usually I don't like these plans) b/c of the portability of the system. I will report back in a month or so and let people know how it worked.

· Registered
856 Posts
Vip9,

Thanks for the input. I did check out the Audiovox website and saw the other models as well. I personally viewed the vbp1000 at Circuit City (currently on sale for $229). It was hooked up to a DVD that also was being shown on a headrest LCD and a Flip-down pod LCD. Actually the 4" screen was not that bad which makes me think that the 5" (newer) will be even better. Picture quality was not quite as good as the Audiovox flip down but was reasonable. The unit itself looked like it was fairly well made and it about the size of those old rental VCRs at your local video store. I think it will sit up at about eye level if you place the unit on the top/rear of the center console. Not sure if this will impede vision from the rearview mirror but I am sure it can be adjusted.

I also located the vbp2000 at Target and pulled it out of the box (obviously it wasn't on). Basically, the same size and the screen looked pretty solid. I am not a Costco member and Circuit City said they would give me the vbp2000 for $284 (on sale this week I guess). They also offer a 3 year protection package for $45 (by then it will probably be obsolete anyway) for some peace of mind. If I want DVD, I can always run to the video input. I figure this will hold me over for a few years. Then I can do a more advanced setup. Let me know what you think.

· Registered
856 Posts
I did briefly consider the portable DVD but all of our kid videos are on tape, the vbp was a bit cheaper (although definitely larger) and I wasn't sure if the DVD might skip on some roads.

I purchased the vbp2000 last night. I has not been installed yet but I did pop in a video and try it out. Overall, I am pretty happy with it right now. The unit is much lighter (lighter than my notebook computer) and smaller than I expected. They give you a carry bag with a shouler strap. The screen quality is pretty good, almost as good as the 5 or 6" headrest models I have seen. I am posting some screen shots below from the Matrix (I think a different movie might have showed more colors) from last night - the lighting was not good so the shots could be better. When I get the bag adjusted and "installed" in the MDX I will take a few more pics.

Attachments

· Registered
856 Posts
Marfong,

The silver unit goes inside a bag that has several straps (I think one from each corner). The two top straps go around the headrest anchors. I have not looked closely at the bottow straps. The unit gets mounted vertically with the "face" approximately pointing to the second-row dome light. Given its size, I think it will sit nicely right on top of the rear part of the console, just above the heat vents (but I have not tried it yet).

If you did not purchase the DVD already, I know Audiovox makes an identical unit except DVD instead of VCR for just a bit more. I think you will need to alternate between DVD and cube plug-ins b/c only one video input is available. Note: it's a player only, not a recorder.

· Registered
856 Posts
I agree with vip9,

If I was buying a portable unit just for DVDs, I would get the Audiovox or Panasonic (although I am not sure if those units will accept input from a GameCube - you would have to check). I think you can find one of those units for around $450-500 and they are much smaller. I wanted an even cheaper alternative and wanted to use my existing VCR videos primarily so I went with the vbp2000 ($285). I have not used it in the MDX but have played it several times in the house and am pretty happy with it.
Here is a link to the VBP2000 at Target so you can get product info and dimensions.

If you still want the "DVD in a bag" concept you can find a similar model at Target for $399 (I don't think it's Audiovox though).
Here is the link to the DVD in a bag

· Registered
856 Posts
VBP2000

Just returned back from my trip out East. I took along the VBP2000 for its first long trip. I am quite happy with the system, especially since it cost <$300. Never had a problem, the system is relatively easy to remove and reinstall once you have done it a few times and the sound from the built in speakers was better than I expected. I am posting 3 pics to show installation. Obviously the system is not as "sleek" as a permanent install and is bigger than a portable DVD but the player and bag never got in may way.

Attachments

· Registered
856 Posts
In the pic above, note that the player rests on the console but only on the rear and still allows access to CDs and cell phone. The pic below shows a backseat shot. My install this time was a bit sloppy (I did not tuck in the strap). Normally the cord and the strap are out of the way. The directions call for the cord to face the other way but I installed the bag this way because I think it provided a more secure feel.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.