Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I finally made up my mind about a "mobile theater" solution for my MDX, a friend threw a monkey wrench in my plans by suggesting Audiovox "Video-in-a-bag" system.

Costco and a few other retailers now carry new 5" vbp2000 system and even newer vbp3000 2 x 5" screens system with tv tuner and a possibility to watch 2 different sources on those 2 screens. (video, tv, or video game/dvd through A/V inputs)

Quite attractively priced as well. ($270/$500 I believe)

I never owned/dealt with Audiovox before. So, any insights and suggestions will be appreciated.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XMom, thanks a lot!!!
Do you have a 4" or a 5" (VBP1000 or VBP2000)?

According to Audiovox, you can connect a Video Game Console or other similar external sources - have you tried?

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not buy this product yet, although it is # 1 on my list of things to get. The reason for it - I want to SEE it with my own eyes, not just on the picture.

So far, Costco has the lowest price on vbp2000 - I think $269.

BTW, check www.audiovox.com, they have a few other models as well. The one I am actually considering is vbp-3000 it has two 5" screens, has a tv tuner and each screen can show a separate A/V source. It goes for $499 in Costco. Screens can be unit-mounted, head-rest mounted or hand-held. They also came out with vbp-4000 - 5.6" cd-player. (not sure about price) Unfortunately, my local Costco does not have any. No other store in the area has them either.

I WANT TO SEE THE DAMN THING! Vbp-1000 is so "scary-looking" that I would not buy it. But newer models are supposed to be more aesthetically pleasant.

A2MDXer, please keep us posted.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marfong, based on my experience with Audiovox, new products hit the shelf usually 2-3 months after they appear on audiovox.com (as was with vbp-2000 and 3000) Audiovox website will usually put a pdf User Manual on a product detail page.

I believe I found 1 reference to vbp-4000 using Google.com search engine (try vbp4000 or vbp-4000 - do not remember which was successful) I think the price for 4000 was between 2000 and 3000, which is probably $400.

IMO, go for a portable DVD player - for $100 or $200 more you can have top of the line 7"-8" "take-me-anywhere" unit as opposed to a bulky strap-on. :)

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A2MDXer said:

(although I am not sure if those units will accept input from a GameCube - you would have to check). ...
Most portable dvd-players will accept A/V input. Obviously, verify this for a specific model you may consider.

There were discussions about this in other threads. Search for "Mobile Theater" or similar phrases.

Not sure about GameCube but both PS2 and Xbox are pretty much DVD-players already. So, I am sticking with my original plan of getting a video player. Going to Costco this weekend. Hopefully they will have it. There was a $100 diff between Costco and Circuit City for vbp-3000 last time I checked.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Took a plunge - ordered vbp-3000. S/b in in a couple of days.

Will post pics/reviews for anyone interested.

Also, got an Xbox (will be a part of MDX video/dvd/game - entertainment system) It rocks! Got Rallisport game - too bad they do not have MDX there. :D

P.S. MDXtrous - wonderful job on your 'X!!!

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
MDXtrous, thanx for your advice - I got it in the other thread as well.
Let us master the Ralli first! :D He loved it. Too bad controller is huge for his hands. Controller-S should arrive any day (hopefully today) I told him that once he succeeds in the game, I'd let him drive the real car. He has a real incentive now :D

I read reviews that say Fuzion is heavy on communist ideas :D

Did not realize XBox was as big and bulky as it is until I unpacked it. Now I need to find a good place for it in the 'X. Those 2 screens on Audiovox should also come handy. :D Looking forward to the upgrade and a "quiet" ride to the summer vacation home :):):) Should take care of both wife and the kid. :D

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It has arrived!

Will post a few pics later.

A nice surprise - those 5 " screens actually look quite 'large'

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Great, A2MDXer!

I am planning to test mine this weekend.

Already unpacked and test-ran it at home. Both TV, video replay and XBOX game worked "as advertised"

Only 1 sour grape - one of those 2 five-inch screens (which actually are quite "large" and clear!) has a dead pixel. 1 red dot almost in the middle. So, I called Audiovox, but they said that since it is fresh out of the box, they "STRONGLY RECOMMEND" (read: get lost) that I exchange the unit in the store. Highly unusual - most manufecturers prefer fixing/replacing themselves, rather than returning it back.

If the general purpose of this unit did not require a viewer to be so close to the screen, that dead pixel might never have been noticed. As it is, I placed a new order with Costco.com, who have been EXTREMELY helpful and accomodating, unlike Audiovox customer service line. A new one should be here within a week. Meanwhile, I'll use this one.

Will post comments/impressions/pics later

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
rwx said:
vip9:

The vbp3000 you ordered has a 2nd LCD screen, I wonder if it will fit nicely if straped to the headrest.

Thanks.
Hi.

Each screen comes with a pouch which has straps. The screen is wider than the headrest, so it is actually a little clumsy to attach it to the headrest , but possible. I will try to do this over the upcoming weekend and will post pics. I tried to attach it to the "metal rods" that hold the headrests. Then, by lowering headrest, it held it firmly.

Unit itself fits perfectly between seats resting just behind the lid of the center console. Thus, one can easily have access to the storage compartment.

Actually, for everyone interested, although it comes with 2 screens, vbp3000 can accomodate up to 3 screens - 1 attached to the unit and 2 detached. So, if you have kids of different age and/or interests, this is perfect!

Also, a screen can be powered by itself without the unit, making it a great add-on to Xbox or PS2

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
aktars said:
Vip9:

Can you send pic's (if possible) of the vbp3000, and the setup you are using in the MDX. Also, how many power cords are you having to use (i.e. x-box, vbp3000)? Sounds like a great system...
So far, I used it on 1 2-hour trip only. Worked great and the trip went relatively "quiet". I used only the screen attached to the unit. No Xbox usage yet, although it is planned.

I'll take pics over the upcoming weekend.

I bought a power inverter, which I will plug into the rear 12 V outlet. Will plug Xbox into it - just have to figure out the best way to secure it - the sucker is too big to fit any of my laptop bags - need to get something new :(

If you want to see the pics and specs of the unit itself, visit audiovox site:

http://www.audiovox.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/SearchEngineResultProduct.d2w/report

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Here are some pics...

At home - video and XBox inputs (also, can show TV, has a cable-ready TV tuner)

Attachments

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
A stand-alone (powered-alone) screen as an add-on to XBox

Attachments

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Played 1 race just to check it out - not bad!!! Of course, my 36" Wega XBR is SOMEWHAT better :D

Attachments

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Behind driver's seat - a screen is a bit wider that the headrest, plus the belt would interfere with my head resting :)

So, I attached it just below the headrest, and by lowering it I secured the screen.

Attachments

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
2nd AND 3rd row can enjoy...

Attachments

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
BTW, don't let the quality of images fool you - I considered the quality of picture very adequate - it was bright sunshine outside and I had a pocket digital camera :( - forgot my OTHER one home....

Anyway, the last pic just to show that the bag does not obstruct the middle console from being open.

Attachments

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
1 more screen can be purchased separately, or, the screen shown attached to the unit can be detached and used in the same manner as the other screen shown.

8' cable provided is more than enough to put a screen anywhere in the MDX, or at home, for that matter.

All in all I am quite satisfied with both the product and the result of its use :D

If you buy this or a similar unit, make sure a store has a liberal return/exchange policy as I had to replace the unit due to a "dead pixel" (Costco even refunded shipping costs!!!)

And NO, I am NOT affiliated. nor even a stockholder of Audiovox. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.