Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not willing to test the CMDS just to see how it works (joking) but would be interested to hear any real work experiences of the MDX actually breaking (not just flashing the warning).

In theory and in practise, what should we expect from the car? Slowing down the car before impact? Or a full stop?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The car's reaction depends on the situation. I have tested it a couple of times to see how it responds. If I am using the cruise control the car will keep the designated space between me and the car ahead. If that car stops for a red light my car will slow to a crawl then actually come to a complete stop safely behind the lead car. If I am using the cruise control and another car suddenly pulls in between me and the car I am following my car will FLASH the orange BRAKE message across the windshield and brake pretty aggressively. I don't know what would happen if I did nothing because my reaction to this is to BRAKE manually at that point.

I have had the vehicle display the BRAKE message and apply the breaks even if I am not using cruise control if someone in front of me suddenly brakes say while making a turn. Whether or not the vehicle will completely stop in all situations I suspect depends on the speed you are traveling and distance between you and the offending object.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've had the CMBS stop me when a car turned right (without signaling) then stopped suddenly because that car almost hit a pedestrian, so the CMBS detected the corner of the rear bumper, gave me the warnings, and grinded me to a halt. I've also had the CMBS stop me when a pedestrian walked in front of the car while texting in a shopping plaza lot and it also stopped the MDX there. I get plenty of warnings when I'm following someone on the highway and they don't cruise at a set speed (yanno how some people like fluctuate 5 mph around a speed), but I have my distance set on far. That gets a bit annoying but then I tend to change lanes to avoid folks like that. I've also had CMBS try to stop me while approaching a curb when I was about to turn left, so it was a bit overzealous there.

It has also gotten a few false positives, but it's actually not that intrusive, especially if you set the distance to normal. I would say that you can probably depend on it to stop you for traveling under 25 mph with large objects like cars, but unknown for pedestrians. Over 25 mph, I'm not really sure, since most systems are only tested up to 25 mph anyway here. It's a good assist, but always be an active driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
joebucko & neoshi: your comments were exactly what I was interested in; and I find the various scenarios interesting.

(And NO, i'm not looking to pull a "Tesla Stop Paying Attention" . . . assisted driving is just that, an assistant, but the person behind the wheel is the "designated driver of responsibility.")

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've experienced the BRAKING on a car turning right ahead of me. I know the turning car was going to complete the turn before I got there, or i was going to slightly steer left to avoid hitting the turning vehicle. My 2017MDX advance came to a complete stop, and I tried to accelerate, and the car still -froze- in the stop, even though the car was completing the turn, and no chance of me hitting him. I do like the --self-- drive aspect of the 2017, but i think the car only gives you 45 seconds before a warning message displays to hold starring wheel.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a '14 so finally Acura listened to their customer feedback and apparently made their much touted "improvements to future products based on customer feedback". Back in '14, the CMBS only mitigated the damage during an accident. It would NOT stop the car before you were about to crash into something! The '14 would let you crash. It would apply the brakes while the crash had occurred. Big help! Many '14 owner complained about how worthless this feature was. Nice that they finally improved it for you guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts