1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you tried resetting the navi system? And can you access the diagnostic menu on navi while the error is showing? I think it's all buttons together except for the "ac/info" button.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that...

Have you tried resetting the navi system? And can you access the diagnostic menu on navi while the error is showing? I think it's all buttons together except for the "ac/info" button.
The "three button" press seems to have no effect on things in my 2003. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting idea, but more folks probably would have figured that out...

Just an idea:

If the DVD-ROM player only is shot, maybe you can tie in an external one. I bought this to load programs into my old laptop that had a FUBAR drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHFCDII/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You would probably need a USB to ATAPI adaptor harness, if that's what the factory spec. connector is.
It is not just the "drive" but the associated "system".

The "failure upon aging" of the DVD-ROM drive is pretty well known. Once upon-a-time Alpine would repair the units (that include the specialized circuitry / firmware for the whole Navigation system) for under $200. They've upped their prices considerably and it frankly seems nuts as alternatives to GPS are now so plentiful. Every smart phone has many good mapping apps, standalone GPS systems are very inexpensive.

The issue is really that the "failure mode" screen also robs one of access of the ability to control the AC mode, HVAC air outlet choices, and fan speed. Frustrating as heck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Perhaps you can find a nav unit from a parted out mdx on Craigslist and swap it out. There are some 5 in my area many with nav.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, trying to avoid that...

Perhaps you can find a nav unit from a parted out mdx on Craigslist and swap it out. There are some 5 in my area many with nav.
The going price for "pulled from wreck" Navi units is about the same as the "repaired by third party". The repaired units at least are "known good", who knows if the ones from wrecks were in worse shape than mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Question about "Navi"

Reading this thread raises a question from me - what exactly is "NAVI"? Sounds like it must have GPS,but we carry a Garmin for that. i own a 2001 "Touring Edition" MDX that has a CD player integrated into the display panel and very little useful info showing on panel. I have never even been in another MDX so I am curious. I think the user ergonomics of the Touring Edition panel are terrible. Never owned a car where the user controls on this panel are so non-obvious - especially the heat /ac controls. Love the MDX otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts