Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer said they would add the side steps on my '03 when it arrives at their cost. My wife really likes the look of the X with them on and would like to get them. I however am undecided. I am 6'1" and they almost seam to be more of a nuisance to step over when getting in and out. I do admit that they greatly impove access to the 3rd row seat, and would be beneficial for shorter passengers.

I am now tending toward getting them. Are there any drawbacks to having them?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Did they give you a dollar amount? It would be interesting to get their actual cost. They will probably quote you a cost plus expenses price that will be off list but will have considerable profit for the dealer. (The list price probably has a 100% mark on for the dealer)

From reading other threads (I don't have side steps) the sidesteps are useful for older people, children, and women in tight skirts. They also help when washing the top or putting things on/in a ski/roof rack.

I personally like the way they look on the MDX, especially the Maniks SS.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi..

If its free.. get it.. and if you don't like it when u get it.. take it off and sell it on e-bay..

For me.. the sidestep looks good but less on funtion.

The running board don't look as good, but works better.. (so you dont' have to look where to step..)

:1:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
TYP said:
Hi..

If its free.. get it.. and if you don't like it when u get it.. take it off and sell it on e-bay..

For me.. the sidestep looks good but less on funtion.

The running board don't look as good, but works better.. (so you dont' have to look where to step..)

:1:
Actually, the Acura side steps are wider than the Maniks...and closer to the body no guess work. And if you get them powder coated with a metal finish, even look better than any after-market steps.
But once you have any side steps there is no guess work. I would say running boards are the 'safest' for small children and the elderly, but the least attractive.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
jurincie,

I don't use the side steps to enter or exit the MDX either. For me, their real usefulness is providing a boost when washing the roof. They also have a sporty look, much better in appearance than the running boards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed manik side-step on our MDX. It looks good and the wife likes them. But I always take them off before we go the desert. They are getting in the way when you have to drive over rocks and stuff. The same goes to the mud flaps.

-TL

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EXCALIBUR said:
jurincie,

I don't use the side steps to enter or exit the MDX either. For me, their real usefulness are providing a boost when washing the roof. They also have a sporty look, much better in appearance than the running boards.
Good point about washing the roof, I never thought about that.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
tigerfu said:
I...But I always take them off before we go the desert. They are getting in the way when you have to drive over rocks and stuff. The same goes to the mud flaps.
-TL
tigerfu,

Please elaborate. How do mud flaps "get in the way"?

:confused:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
jurincie said:
The dealer said they would add the side steps on my '03 when it arrives at their cost. My wife really likes the look of the X with them on and would like to get them. I however am undecided. I am 6'1" and they almost seam to be more of a nuisance to step over when getting in and out. I do admit that they greatly impove access to the 3rd row seat, and would be beneficial for shorter passengers.

I am now tending toward getting them. Are there any drawbacks to having them?
You asked for drawbacks; I can only think of one. You will need to swing your legs out farther to exit the vehicle. My calves tends to touch the steps on occaision, which can dirty pants/long skirts in foul weather.

My wife is short and asked for them after we owned the car for about a year - she said that they were a benefit when she wore short skirts. Since I like her to wear short skirts I got the steps:1:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ah.. good point msu79gt82..

How about some pix?

Heh j/k :2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Rail said:
I noticed a slight increase in road noise after adding my side steps ('cause they're hollow).

Rail
Wow! There's some finely tuned ears! I did stuff them (as well as my hitch-step) with some packing foam. To snub any unexpected resonance. I really did not expect to hear anything, but got kind of anal about the whole thing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Acura side steps amplify the sound of underspray, the water that impinges the under side of your truck when driving over puddles at speed. The sound is very similiar to water being sprayed into a pail. And since it doesn't rain that much in CA I don't have chance to get used to it :).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Ditto

wen said:
The Acura side steps amplify the sound of underspray, the water that impinges the under side of your truck when driving over puddles at speed. The sound is very similiar to water being sprayed into a pail.
It does rain a lot in Houston, and the rain underspray is noticable, but not annoying. I have not noticed any non-water noise like Rail did.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi All:

___I guess now I have to ask how hard is it to remove the side caps and fill the tubes with packing material?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
xcel said:
Hi All:

___I guess now I have to ask how hard is it to remove the side caps and fill the tubes with packing material?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]
Very little persuasion, maybe a knife edge or even a flat blade driver, give a twist as you push the plastic ends out.
I used the more solid foamy stuff, NOT the the crumbly white styrofoam they usually use for electronics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts