Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
Before, I found out about the MDX, I was looking at a Sequoia. They hadn't come out yet(2000), but on paper, it was larger than the Tahoe, and smaller than the Suburban. I was thinking it would be a steal considering the fact that it was larger than a Landcruiser, shares the same engine/drivetrain and its cheaper. Knowing Toyota reliablility and durability, I figured it would last "forever". Then I found out it was based on the Tundra, I thought it can't be that expensive(A Tundra V-8 4wd access cab starts at $26,500). With my hopes high, I went to the Toyota dealer. They didn't have one available yet(this was october of 2000), but they were taking deposits, and were still bebating how much over sticker they were going to ask for the beast. they were quoting me prices in the $43-$47k range depending on whether you got the SR5 or the Limited. I told the salesman "what are you guys smoking?" and told him thanks, but no thanks. I already had a deposit on the MDX and picked it up 2 wks after its launch(paid MSRP). I went by the Toyota dealership a couple of months later to check the sequoia. I liked it(if you need a full size SUV, with large towing capacity). However, it has the same cheap interior as the Tundra, height is 11 inches off the road, 3rd row seats don't disappear, is pricey and its a gas guzzler(14/17 mpg). I calculated that it would be cheaper to refill the MDX with Premium gas(17/23 mpg) than to fill the Toyota with Regular gas(14/17 mpg).

If you are thinking of buying a Tahoe or Expedition or a Suburban, then I would definetly look at the Sequoia. However, it would be hard for me to pay $45k for a loaded sequoia when you can find a loaded Tahoe or Expedition for $34k. I am just glad I picked the MDX.:)

· Registered
554 Posts
Sure, today you can get a sequoia for less than sticker, but in oct 2000 that wasn't they case.

· Registered
554 Posts
I have to agree with you vicpai. I couldn't believe that the matrix has an option for navi. Then, i was looking at a european car mag, they mentioned that a COROLLA can be optioned with a navi. I was astounded. I just don't understand the logic here!:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.