Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im glad I got my serpentine belt replaced and brakes fixed after 3 visits, just this last Friday, because as of this morning my car battery is dead. I need a decent replacement battery, any suggestions what brand or what type would be decent?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1st gen MDX is a 24F group battery.

I like Interstate batteries. You can get them at lots of retailers -- including Interstate-branded stores.

If you have a Costco membership then you can get one there. Costco calls it a "Fitment Code 23" and it's $85.99 at my local warehouse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info, thanks P07! I do have a batteries plus next door to my work, so i was thinking of being lazy and going there to get a Duracell SLI24F battery, but i have no idea if Duracell car batteries are any good or not, never even knew they existed to be honest. Its $110 or so and has 650 CCA. I dont have a Costco membership although that sounds like a great deal for that battery.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I usually avoid Batteries Plus because they tend to be outrageously expensive and they've never given me good service. Although if they're conveniently located for you it may be worth it. I believe Duracell batteries are only 24 month warranty, however. You may want to confirm that with the store before buying. That short of a warranty would be an issue, for me.

The Costco Interstate is 700 CCA and has a 42-month free-replacement warranty. If you have a friend or family member with a membership then it's worth using it, imo.

If you don't want to go the Costco route, you can see if there is another Interstate retailer, in your area: https://www.interstatebatteries.com Prices vary, of course.

Some people will probably recommend East Penn batteries, as well. They're supposed to be good batteries, although I've found them hard to find -- at least in my area.

In a pinch, you could get a battery from Walmart. They're made by Exide. Reviews are decent.

I would avoid the chain-auto-part-store brands that you find at Autozone/PepBoys/Advance/etc.

·
Registered
761 Posts
See if you have a neighbor / friend / family with a Costco membership.

I just installed the Costco Interstate 23F a few months ago. - it has a 42
Month warranty and the cost value is fantastic. I can’t speak to how it will perform over time but at $90 I am not too worried.

An alternative battery I have had good success with are Sears Diehard (top line batteries) but who knows your battery may last longer than sears at this point.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I've gone Interstate batteries on all three of my vehicles after the OEM batteries started to fail or just died after 3-4 years. I get full life of +5 years and haven't had a chance to use the pro-rated Interstate warranty yet (almost 400,000 miles between all three vehicles). I live in the southwest and +100 degree days in summer along with below freezing winters in teens-20s degrees are very hard on batteries.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I ran over to Walmart and picked up one of their ever start batteries with 3 year replacement battery. It was $100 which is fine. They dont have an auto center in this particular store, so i swapped the battery out in the parking lot (had to go back in to buy a 10mm socket). Turns out the new battery is dead, so i had to swap it out again to the old battery. I would return it right away but Im actually at work so had to run back to the office. Also, as i was taking the battery out, one of the pieces of the battery clamp that holds it in place, fell down and i cant get to it. So i need to get that again as well pluys a battery charger. My luck is amazing! Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If the "new" battery is dead, then I'd return it.... And I wouldn't buy another battery from that store. Batteries should be rotated out by the vendor, and if they have old stock then they shouldn't be trusted.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Batteries should have a sticker with the date of production on it. They normally would last 6-10 years on the shelf but I only buy batteries that have been manufactured within the last month And never have a problem. Very odd that you have a DOA battery but honestly I don’t know how many folks are buying this size battery from Walmart.

I have bought several everstart batteries for my wife’s scooter (it needs one about every two years) and it works ok. I wish I’d get more than 2 years out of it but it’s a small battery and it doesn’t get a lot of use throughout the year and I keep it on a trickle charge. My next change I am going to try a different battery.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have bought several everstart batteries for my wife’s scooter (it needs one about every two years) and it works ok. I wish I’d get more than 2 years out of it but it’s a small battery and it doesn’t get a lot of use throughout the year and I keep it on a trickle charge. My next change I am going to try a different battery.
What size battery does the scooter use? If it's available, try an AGM Interstate battery.

I have two motorcycles. My Kawasaki I ride all the time. My Honda spends most of the time in the garage -- I only take it out a handful of times, each year. I've had an AGM interstate battery in the bike for the last 5 years, connected to a Battery Tender Jr. and it cranks hard, every time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has a sticker 10/17 which im sure is oct of last year. Not ideal, but i can return for up to 6 months plus it has a 3 year warranty etc. I think i may charge it up and see how it works, instead of returning right away. We'll see

·
Registered
761 Posts
What size battery does the scooter use? If it's available, try an AGM Interstate battery.

I have two motorcycles. My Kawasaki I ride all the time. My Honda spends most of the time in the garage -- I only take it out a handful of times, each year. I've had an AGM interstate battery in the bike for the last 5 years, connected to a Battery Tender Jr. and it cranks hard, every time.
It’s a 4L-BS. Tiny 50cc Buddy Scooter but perfect for our place in the Poconos along with our Golf cart.

The scooter sits in our Vacation Home shed and only gets used durning the summer weekends.

The wife and I were hard core riders back in the day (before kids) we bleed Kawasaki green (though her kawi was yellow)

·
Registered
761 Posts
It has a sticker 10/17 which im sure is oct of last year. Not ideal, but i can return for up to 6 months plus it has a 3 year warranty etc. I think i may charge it up and see how it works, instead of returning right away. We'll see
I’d return it - I wouldn’t want to mess around with a battery that is already dead or has issues. You never know what people do with returns.

I am in thick with RockAuto becasue they sent me a rear rotor that was dirty and then to find out that the rear rotors aren’t even the brand I bought. I now have several sets of rotors that I suppose I am going to chose from and return the ones I didn’t use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe I'm the exception but I always use Duralast Gold. Have for years. Only ever had one fail in the 5 year warranty period. Even in my diesel pickup. It was replaced without question. There warranty is actually 60 months. They prorate by months not whole years.

When I bought them for my diesel, I went in and a nice young lady looked up the part number. I said I'll take two. She came back with one. I asked where the second one was and she thought I was messing with her.

I do use interstate deep cycles on boats and RVs.

·
Registered
761 Posts
FWIW, its strange an off the shelf battery is dead after 5 months right off the bat. I agree with the thoughts there might be something wrong with it. If you decide to keep it and charge it, also keep your receipt (like copy, stick it in a zip lock bag, and tape it to the side of the battery) because if you lose it, they will go by the sticker and youll be 5 months short.

Good thing about Walmart is that they all over so if it goes bad, a replacement is theoretically pretty close. I used to use their batterys and switched to Costco house brand before they sold Interstate and Interstate for about the last 15 yrs. Both places are good about honoring the warranty no questions.

Whichever way you go, Good Luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I tried charging this battery last night and its not holding charge at all. Its completely dead. Only my luck, taking it back to wal mart in about an hour, and will return it. Instead I will go to an auto parts store or something and get another battery

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So I tried charging this battery last night and its not holding charge at all. Its completely dead. Only my luck, taking it back to wal mart in about an hour, and will return it. Instead I will go to an auto parts store or something and get another battery
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/

Click on "Find a Location" at the top.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I've never had much luck with a battery retaining a full charge and cranking amps after it went completely dead. I would replace ASAP.

I went with the Interstate AGM MegaTron MT7-34R in my MDX for about $250 back in 2015. I added a dash cam before upgrading the battery and the OEM battery didn't have enough power for the camera to run in parking mode for very long (wouldn't record long or the battery was too weak to start the MDX). I can now use parking mode for days because of the reserve power of the AGM. Regular Interstate batteries for my TSX and RDX.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.