Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who lives in California bought a MDX out-of-state? Is it possible?
The laws here are quite strict (and idiotic) and I would appreciate any help...

Thanks a lot,

John

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more.....

............here in California I think the laws are really IDIOTIC AND STUPID :rolleyes: it's all about how much they can rip you off!!!......However, as concerns bringing a car from out of state it's relatively simple now that that infamous "DMV smog impact fee" was done away with after people raised a hue and cry. My Uncle recently brought a vehicle from Pittsburg, PA and it was a relatively painless procedure. I think all you do bring the car in and register it at the local DMV here.

........and unless you can show a local address where you're buying the vehicle I think you still have to pay the 8.25% sales tax on the vehicle

........and just out of curiosity, why would you want to purchase an MDX in another state. I, personally think, the Southern California region has now pretty much the best availability in the Country with several MDXs on some dealer lots.....I wouldn't be surprised if some are even beginning to deal a little!!........I've been CONSTANTLY getting calls from some of the dealers I'd visited months back to ask me if I'm still in the market!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definitely make sure you check the laws carefully. Here in AZ, if you buy a car out of state (which I did), you only pay "use tax" if you didn't already pay tax somewhere else. It is only 5.6%, which is better than our sales tax of 7.7-8.1% (depending on which city). I'm unsure about CA laws even though I'm from LA (never had to do anything like that when I lived there ;) )

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Not so here my dear friend!!

SonShine said:
Definitely make sure you check the laws carefully. Here in AZ, if you buy a car out of state (which I did), you only pay "use tax" if you didn't already pay tax somewhere else. It is only 5.6%, which is better than our sales tax of 7.7-8.1% (depending on which city). I'm unsure about CA laws even though I'm from LA (never had to do anything like that when I lived there ;) )
Here in California they "get you comin and they get you going" and all you can do is smile :D .....I have heard of "use tax" here, but I think it's IN ADDITION TO the other taxes you'll pay!

In almost all States, when you trade in your vehicle you get credit for that portion from the purchase price of the new vehicle. For example if you were buying an MDX for $40,000 and traded in a Camry for $10,000, you only pay sales tax on the difference ($30,000)........However, recently to my utter dismay I found out that this is NOT TRUE in California.......figures :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts