Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 MDX here. I love the J series motor and how it sounds but goddamn is it too quiet. It's hard to even use the paddles unless you close the windows and lower the volume. That's with being in Sport mode on the IDS.

No one seems to make any exhaust kits for 3rd gen MDX besides just a cat delete or hi flow cat. Anyone here running a custom setup or just mufflers? Can't seem to find many videos online ?

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
1,074 Posts
Not popular enough for anyone to make. Your best bet is a custom exhaust shop that will order a "build your own" kit from Magnaflow and spend the hours and hours needed to custom fab one for you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wish there was a little more exhaust note on the 3rd gen...2nd gen didn't have much but certainly more than what we have now. Something in between G35/37 and our current MDX would be a nice middle ground (totally subjective I know). OP if you do something custom be sure to post up about it. Does the new RDX have any meaningful exhaust note?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Does the new RDX have any meaningful exhaust note?
Yes. Some of which is due to electronic enhancement.

In fact, if you really want more interior exhaust note in 3rd-gen MDX you might look into modding the noise cancellation system. I believe there is electronic enhancement/modification of the exhaust note in 3rd-gen MDX as well; I know the IDS setting alters "active sound control" per the Owner's Manual.

Font Door handle Diagram

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just install a magnaflow muffler on 2015.. Did no change what so ever.. the stock muffler is basicly a performance already.. need to investigate the resonator as its the c
uttin all the noise on this model. My old 2007 a muffler delete was LOUD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just install a magnaflow muffler on 2015.. Did no change what so ever.. the stock muffler is basicly a performance already.. need to investigate the resonator as its the c
uttin all the noise on this model. My old 2007 a muffler delete was LOUD! View attachment 117210
I changed the resonator for a magnaflow strait muffller and it make it a tiny bit louder than stock but i can say nothing that my passenger will notice. My 2 cents. If you want to be loud change the resonator for a pipe 2.25. Aka resonator delete. But not sure how the sound will be like. As now i'm happy with my setup since i know as time goes the packing will go out and get louder.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,144 Posts
The vehicle has 2 CATs if you look at it. That's the best reason that I could think of which would make the MDX quiet. I think just deleting one of those two cats would open up the J35.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put on a flow master 40 on the front muffler. Offset in center out.

Mild increase of sound. I left the second muffler and rear resonators as I'm looking to do a 3rd cat delete first.

Any one have experience with this?

Sy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Flow master 40 on stock exhaust. More will come in the future, but this is a good mild sound and you can hear it.

Video sucks, will be remaking the video when I get a new phone, my apologies for the 1733 quality.

·
Registered
36 Posts
any idea of this would fit on the hybrid? I really need to spice up my family mobile
If you go to your local muffy shop, they should have an assortment of mufflers to look at. I went with the floor master 40 simply because it wasn’t a strait through design, it has mild baffling and will cause exhaust pulses to bounce around and still has less restriction or sound canceling than.

I cannot stand full muffler deletes. Just me personally. I have no rasp and can still hold a conversation, plus the new born can sleep even through a full throttle pull.

My next mod would be a catless j pipe to see how that sounds, it’s currently in the garage.
I have an aem intake oilfree filter, simply adds ZERO feel, but I can wash it.

Post some pictures of the exhaust setup on the hybrid!

Sy

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 MDX here. I love the J series motor and how it sounds but goddamn is it too quiet. It's hard to even use the paddles unless you close the windows and lower the volume. That's with being in Sport mode on the IDS.

No one seems to make any exhaust kits for 3rd gen MDX besides just a cat delete or hi flow cat. Anyone here running a custom setup or just mufflers? Can't seem to find many videos online ?
Do Borla mufflers and resonator delete. I think that's the best setup without being obnoxious on the highway.

I have Borla mufflers and resonator delete. That's the best sound setup without being obnoxious on the highway in my opinion.Here's what mine sounds like.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I was thinking the same with dual exhaust. Remove those stupid red reflectors out of the bumper and have exhaust tips that fit in there. I want a muffler that will produce a low bass tone and not a ricer fart can

1 - 20 of 25 Posts