Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use Photoshop LE, MGI Photosuite or ACDSee to edit my photos and print them with my HP Photosmart software (poor editing features but nice printing options). I have heard that Photoshop Elements may be the way to go to 1) get some new features and 2) to streamline the editing and printing process. I think that Photoshop Elements allows you to print multiple or single images in many different sizes on one page (this is the feature of HP software that I like). Can anyone confirm or give advice re: whether it's worth it to upgrade my software for the cost of Elements?

·
681 Posts
I Like Elements

Although I use PhotoShop 7.0 in my work and love it, I have long recommended PhotoShop Elements as a lower price alternative for those not using features like CYMK prepress which require the "Big Brother". I have not yet seen the latest version which has only been out a short while but I have every reason to believe that it will remain an excellent product. The Adobe website does a good job describing specific features and yes, it does support multiple printing. I think you will find it well worthwhile.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RR, thanks for the advice. Do you think that Elements is a significant upgrade over my exisitng software (if you know)? I hate to plunk down $100 for only a marginal upgrade but if it's a significant improvement I will definitely do so. Thanks in advance.

·
681 Posts
Hard to Say

That's tough to answer. Of the programs you mentioned (Photoshop LE, MGI Photosuite or ACDSee), I am only really familiar with PhotoShop LE and I haven't used it for awhile. Certainly, there have been changes and improvements but is it $100 worth ....... that depends. To my mind, the only time it is worth upgrading any software is when 1) the old program has major problems OR doesn't do everything you need and 2) the new program does. I would download the pdf file from the Adobe site and look it over carefully and honestly decide if it is a must-have or not.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're a digital photographer mostly using it for photo editing then you will find Photoshop Elements very useful. The difference of that from Photoshop LE is that it offers actions mostly used for editing photos like adjusting color overcast, overexposures, underexposures, etc. Photoshop LE on the other hand is a dumbed down version of the full Photoshop package. Why not download a trial version and see if it's worth the upgrade?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I upgraded from LE to Elements when Elements first came out, and I can't imagine going back. It is much more powerful and flexible. It is a great alternative if you (like me) are unable or unwilling to shell out the bucks for a full version of Photoshop.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. Yep, I use it primarily for touching up my digicam shots and my scans. I didn't notice there was a dowloadable trial version - I will certainly do that although I am definitely leaning towards just buying the full version. Thanks again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, I checked that Adobe web site and it seems like they discontinued the tryout version of the photoshop elements. If you do a search you will a link to it but says file not found. :rolleyes:

But all-in-all, you're not going to be disappointed with it if you go for it. Adobe makes the best graphics editing tool so can't go wrong with them. There's also a bunch of plug-in support that's very important! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A2MDXer.

You should be able to buy photoshop elements for around $60 - $70. I have seen it advertised at that price at various retailers as well as in Sam's Club & Costco.

I have Adobe 6.0 & elements & like elements better. I find it easier to use. good luck

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, seems like the trial is gone. The new version is 2.0 and is just arriving in stores. The price I have seen for 2.0 is around $90-100 but a $30 rebate if you have a competitor. I think there are several features that are either easier or not available in my existing software so it looks like I will be picking it up in a few weeks. Thanks for the feedback.

·
681 Posts
Is There a Student in the House?

If you or any member of your family is a student or teacher you could investigate gettung the "Academic" price. It will save you about 50%. Meep Meep

1 - 11 of 11 Posts