Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2004 mdx touring with 195000 and it has not had any issues. It recently needed an oil change so I took it to my local acura dealer and had the oil changed and my daughter drove it to school (15 minutes one way) and parked it in the garage when she got home. I noticed when I went out later that evening anitfreeze was on my garage floor. The antifreeze hose was put in the power steering resevoir and caps were left off. I have contacted the dealership and it will be looked at in the morning since it was a holiday weekend. Has anyone ever had this happen or could tell me what damage this could cause. This is my daughters transportation and I just have a new power steering pump, timing belt, water pump, plugs, filters and ball joints. The vehicle has not had any issues and I keep it well maintained and I dont want to put my daughter in something that may have an issue due to someones bad work. Any advice on what this could do to the vehicle would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you saying the dealer disconnected a coolant hose and rigged it into the power steering system?

Why would they do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They put the overflow hose from the radiator into the power steering fluid resevoir. They checked all the fluids and said it must have been an error on the techs part. I guess the drive thru oil changes are done but techs with now at much training and I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Might be hard to prove who did it esp if someone changed the pump.

Anyway, if there’s coolant in the power steering line, you should have the system flushed. If the cap was off and the reservoir was full of PS fluid, you probably didn’t get too much coolant in the mix unless it was running like that for days.

One way to DIY is to empty the reservoir as mush as possible (siphon, turkey baster, etc.) and refill it. Disconnect the return to the power steering fluid reservoir and extend the hose to a container). Have a helper start and run the engine for 2-5 secs to bring the fluid in the reservoir down, refill and repeat. Think the system it holds about 16oz, search to be sure. I would flush 2x-3x the volume until you get clear fluid.

Use Honda PS fluid or equivalent. Be careful of aftermarket because there are a couple different types for Honda years.

Good luck!

·
Registered
474 Posts
It sounds like a prank by school kids! High school shop deals with these amateur basics so frankly hard to believe the dealership would make such a rooky mistake as this but if they assume blame over this great news for you and then I would avoid that dealership afterwards as if they missed that i sure as heck would not trust them with anything compicated or higher than a skill level of 1.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I imagine they will flush out and replace the coolant and power steering fluid. I had a Honda dealer overfill coolant and an Acura dealer under fill transmission fluid but nothing like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts