Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked mine up this Saturday.......I was still wondering if I made the right choice....almost bought a black Denali instead during my 6 month wait. However, after driving it home and trying a few curves, I definitely made the right choice, it handles very well for an SUV.

Some good first impressions:
Ride & Handling
Solid feel and build quality
Engine & Transmission is very smooth
Nav is amazing
Seats are great
Wind noise is very low for an SUV at highway speed
Nice to have a sunroof again
Everything works

Some bad first impressions:
Stereo is very dissapointing, sound is so so, no name display option for CDs and no RDS - radio name display
Roof rack is useless - I'll have to make some major modifications to carry my windsurfers and mountain bikes
Have one rattle, sounds like its the rear door
Dash layout is not the best, have to peer around my hand to see tach, and its all hard plastic - no soft feel finish anywhere
Nav should be recessed to avoid direct light from sunroof, and to avoid reflecting in windshield at night
Needs a hand lever parking brake, hate those foot pedal things
Cannot rest arms on the arm rests while driving - too far from wheel
Wheels too spindly - will have to get something wider and more aggressive once the snow melts
Dissapointed the HIDs did not make the 2002 as my dealer had indicated

Overall, a very good package, looking forward to many miles behind the wheel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
sars said:
Everything works

Some bad first impressions:
Have one rattle, sounds like its the rear door
Overall, a very good package, looking forward to many miles behind the wheel. [/B]
I too hear a rattle, in the rear, like it is the rear door. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
SARS,

I am still waiting for my 2002 Black/Ebony MDX. I was a little cautious about buying the black since I live in Texas but I knew the MDX has a great A/C system and I just think the black on black looks sleek. Can you give me your first impressions and let me know what you think? Or anyone else who owns a black in and out.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Rattlers:

Easy checks for rattles:

If it's coming from the WAY back (hatch/3rd row): check seatbelts on D-pillars to make sure they are clipped properly; check headrest storage area; check door over jack access (left side) and make sure it's secure; check spare tire to make sure it is mounted securly/tightly

If it's coming from the second row: check seatbelts on C-pillars (the buckle often rattles against the hardplastic betw seat and door area); if you're not using the middle seatbelt, check that the tab in the buckle is properly secured in the roof mount.

These were the common sources for '01s. Please report back so we can add to the list! If the source of the rattle isn't one of these and you need a dealer fix, don't forget to post the issue & resolution in the knowledge base (link @ the bottom of this page).

·
Registered
156 Posts
My noise came from jack compartment door. After I put my wheel lock key inside, I didn't close it properly on one of the sides...

But I would definately check those things that Worm mentioned.

Congrats on the wheels!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rattle

Yep....it was the seatbelt buckle hitting the c-pillar

One less thing to worry about in life. Now if only the Middle East situation were as easy to solve !

Forgot to mention on the bad impressions........When I open and close the front side windows, I get a film of water on the inside and outside of the glass....not good

Wasn't this an early 01 problem ????????

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: Rattlers:

TheWorm said:
Easy checks for rattles:

If it's coming from the second row: check seatbelts on C-pillars (the buckle often rattles against the hardplastic betw seat and door area); if you're not using the middle seatbelt, check that the tab in the buckle is properly secured in the roof mount.

Thanks Worm, I think you got it! I moved the seatbelt buckle a little, took a 10 mile trip, and didn't hear anything. Initially didn't hear anything after I picked up the car, but a week ago, I had some passengers in the 2nd row. :D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
new 2002 black/ebony tour w/nav

just received mine last week love it overall the radio could have more punch i have a 2000 maxima with similiar bose radio and it sounds much better , i beleive its due to the shape of vehicle. there are upgrades you can do if you want more clarity and punch like upgrades on speakers. i feel it's very good though. love the user friendly nav and accuracy of system. in n.y.c. it was on the mark all over the city. in tunnels and over all bridges. drive is very quiet more like the lexus rx300 glade i waited for the 2002 upgrade and i don't have the gas tank sounds, nor the shock tower noise. do notice that front driver and passenger due get wet when go up and down after rain, but no weeping mirrors anymore. i would reccommend a high end aftermarket alarm instead of audiovox alarm from dealer. i am considering high end clifford or viper. presently there's no protection for glass breakage or impact sensors or towing the vehicle itself. i have a solaris clifford on a 2000 maxima with autostart and its great. once you had an autostart it's hard to go without. never have to warm up again, or go into a hot or cold car. plus if any hits the car the impact sesor is very good, as is the glass sensor. no false triggering at all in almost 2 years. plus they have built in door locks once you accelerate the vehicle and opens doors when shut vehicle off there great to have. back to the mdx its great even though had to wait two months for it. no real bad issues to talk about i went with alot of options such as sidesteps,tailgate,wood wheel,wood shifter, wood meter panel and the mats allseason which are great even went for the lower trim to protect the front end didn't like the nose mask because they usually destroy the paint only wish i was able to paint the lower trim the same black. i will post pic's in the next few days to show everyone best of luck with your new addition to the family

·
Registered
33 Posts
d2lmk

I have a Black/Ebony MDX in sunny Puerto Rico, 80-90 degrees + essentially year around, and I am not disappointed. The MDX has a great A/C and the perforated leather seats helps a lot. The combination of Black/Ebony looks awesome, IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
mdxpower
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing