Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend putting down that first coat of Zaino on the black MDX. It was so hot here in LA that steam was coming off the top as I did the Dawn wash. Eventually I had to bring it into the garage to avoid having the Claybar melt against the car. After two coats of Z5, it's looking great! This stuff is really amazing. Still have a few more to lay down to get that deeeeep shine.

But now for my question. It's been a few days since the Zaino application, and now the X is pretty dusty. Can I just Z6 it to clean it up, using a bunch of towels since they will no doubt get dirty? Or do I need to do a Z7 wash first?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jon

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Wash it else you'll scratch it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Worm,

If you use the California Duster first, could you then use Z6?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yea, if you used the CD first you could z6 afterwards. I'm not a fan of the CD but I know many people like it.

BTW, you can z6 with (and for) light dust...not to be confused with pollen, however, which is highly abrasive. Since misterjon's in SoCal I kinda assumed there was pollen on there (and "pretty dusty" isn't "light dust") unless the car has been garaged the entire time :)

The clearcoat on the 'X is very very soft. Better safe than sorry since everything shows on black.

·
Registered
747 Posts
mrjon,

Just a thought--you ought to wash your car in the garage anyway--never in the sun!! You'd be working real hard against the beauty of a Zaino finish...

On the other hand, you can apply z2/5 in the sun...

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you ought to wash your car in the garage anyway--never in the sun!! You'd be working real hard against the beauty of a Zaino finish...
Rob--
Thanks for responding, but can you explain what you mean a little more? I've never washed a car in the garage and I don't think most people can without soaking the extra fridge, the baby strollers, the ping pong table -- all the other stuff people cram in their garage. And where does the water drain?

Ideally, next time I wash the car it won't be so hot the water steams (I should also point out that I had parked the car outside overnight, so it had been baking in the sun a few hours before I got to it), but if it's not that hot out, how am I working against the beauty of Zaino? Is it because it dries so fast it could leave spots?

Thanks for the help.

Jon

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jon, all we get in Texas is dust and dust bunnies. I use the CD between washings, but I never use Z6 to replace a car wash. As Worm wiggled a few posts ago.....too much chance of scratching.

I have a manual car wash about 2 miles from my home. It's covered so I don't have to worry about the sun and not my garage so I don't have to worry about disturbing the fire ant nests by my garage door.:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
may i suggest trying not to wash your car when its so hot that stuff steams off it . . .

the shock of that temp change (cold water, hot paint) can cause or lead to stress cracking . . . tiny tiny things - but not good from what ive been told.

i know sometmes its hot - and sometimes you just gotta wash it . . try and limit it though . .

come up here to Canada - that problem is generally not a problem except for a couple weeks per year :mad:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Homer, I believe it's usually Marge Simpson who says, "I don't think that's such a good idea," but I appreciate the advice. It's been 70 and sunny here in LA all week, so maybe I'll drive up to Canada for a washing until it cools off. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
misterjon said:

Rob--
Thanks for responding, but can you explain what you mean a little more?
Hey Jon,

Sorry for the late reply...too many threads, too little time!

OK, you got me--we don't have kids yet, have a pretty good sized garage with a higher garage door, so I'm able to park the MDX at least half way in the garage if I want without getting the garage soaked. I guess the point is what homer said: putting cold water on your paint stresses it along with the wax sitting on top of it. And when you rinse off the paint and start soaping one spot, the rest of the car quickly dries leaving mineral deposits to etch into your finish.

I think you got it anyway...shade is your friend! I guess you could always plant a shade tree...

Hope that helps, amigo,
Rob :cool: <--shades, because it's sunny up here in Sacramento too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts