Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for adding to the pile, but I can't find another interior leak thread that addresses my issue. I have a 2011 MDX, and I am getting water into the third row cup holder on the drivers side, and the subwoofer on the passenger side. Water leaks out of the trim pieces on both sides, just above the cup holder and storage tray.

I have checked all of the rubber seals in the rear hatch area, and they are not leaking. I have also looked in the lift strut area, and can't see any evidence of leaks in view. The fuse panel is not getting wet at all, so it seems the leak is farther forward. I have not sealed the roof rail area, but I did clean it out and run water down them, with nothing leaking inside of the vehicle. I have not looked at the antenna yet, but I will most likely inspect that next. Is there any trick to removing it?

I did notice a gap along the top edge of both the driver and passenger side rear windows, and was wondering if that may be the leak. I don't have another MDX to compare against.

Thank you and have a great day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
AFAIK, check the roof rails. Who knows, maybe the leaks just being routed into a different area of the cabin. I don't have the roof rails, but many people have said around the forum that it's the roof rails. The fix? Just some liquid rubber or something like that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got a chance to get to this. I tore the rear trim apart Saturday, but could not find any evidence of water leaking anywhere. The only place I knew water was leaking in, was the seat belt clips for the third row. The harnesses for the hatch come down directly behind there, and most likely that is where the water was transferring to the fasteners from. So I sealed everything with black silicone RTV. All four of the rubber seals (brake light, washer fluid and two harnesses), all three of the gutter trim mounting holes and the roof rails.

It rained last night, but not a lot. Hopefully the fact that it didn't leak means it is fixed...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I finally got a chance to get to this. I tore the rear trim apart Saturday, but could not find any evidence of water leaking anywhere. The only place I knew water was leaking in, was the seat belt clips for the third row. The harnesses for the hatch come down directly behind there, and most likely that is where the water was transferring to the fasteners from. So I sealed everything with black silicone RTV. All four of the rubber seals (brake light, washer fluid and two harnesses), all three of the gutter trim mounting holes and the roof rails.

It rained last night, but not a lot. Hopefully the fact that it didn't leak means it is fixed...

I am very interested in your findings. By your handle I’m guessing you are a NWer as well. Your description matches mine exactly. I note the headliner gets wet around the seam at the top drivers side. It fills the 3rd row cup holder & tray but all the gaskets, etc. look fine. Tearing apart the rear is on my ToDo list but I’m not excited about it &, as you know, it’s been raining buckets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am living in North Carolina now, but I have lived in Spokane, Oak Harbor and Puyallup. I have spent about 16 years total in the PNW.

I hadn't noticed any areas that the headliner was wet, just the cup holder and the subwoofer area. Of course that doesn't mean it didn't get wet.
Hopefully you have a garage (or at least a carport).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a couple hand washes and a big rainstorm overnight, I am happy to report no water leaking into the cabin.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have not looked at the antenna yet, but I will most likely inspect that next. Is there any trick to removing it?

Just getting to this, same issue in my ‘09. Do you know how to remove the plastic end caps on the roof rack rails & how about the antennae? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts