Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just acquired a 2004 MDX touring with under 100k miles. the CEL is on with the code thrown for S1B1 Knock sensor. I have the parts ordered to take care of that. but, the VTM-4 light comes on.. will this be on with a CEL just to say the system is disabled because of the CEL or do I need to hunt another issue? There's nothing I can see wrong, the car drives well shifts well, even with the sensor out it gets decent MPG. the VTM has NOT thrown any codes as far as I can read them anyways... any suggestions on what if anything this is?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
This is normal.. When there is an issue with the engine the AWD system will disable itself, This is to prevent further load on the engine that is not currently "Working as it should". Fix the issue and the VTM4 code should clear itself up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh? S1b1 means oxygen sensor bank one.

Thats how my code reader shows it. I diddnt know if there was more than one sensor on it. my first time tangling with Honda/Acura

Another stupid question. to get to the sensor I need to take down the upper intake bologna. but right now I'm stymied by the upper engine plastic, the 'beauty cover' is that sucker screwed/bolted on or is it just press clipped in?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Knock sensor code is p0325. If you are certain it is knock sensor, inspect the short pigtail harness connected to it. Rodents love to chew it off.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I realize yours is an 04 but on an 06, the beauty cover is bolted on. There are 6 plastic “buttons” on the cover. Only the 2 left and 2 right most hide bolts - 10mm head. You can lift the button with a screwdriver and it unsnaps.

You shouldn’t have to remove more than than the beauty cover to get to the upper O2 sensor. There are two on each exhaust, an upper and lower. The lower needs to be accessed from underneath. Offset socket from Harbor Freight or a free rental from Autozone or Oreillys should work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knock sensor code is p0325. If you are certain it is knock sensor, inspect the short pigtail harness connected to it. Rodents love to chew it off.

DING! we have a winner! The wire is indeed broken. However I cant repair it :/ looks like this is a repair shop fix... I got the whole intake down to the injector assemblies but could not get further. sadly, incidently if you forget to put one of the hoses on. you get a wicked surge lol. I feel stupid for that one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts