Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,852 Posts
Did they offer software updates for gen 3? Was the process solid? Has Acura released any updates for gen 4?
I had software updates applied to my 2014 MDX (first year of 3rd gen) by the dealer in order to solve some bugs (like system hangs, etc.). The dealer didn't give me any hassles on applying them and it was done on Acura's dime. This was early on in the first year of ownership.

The infotainment is completely different on the 4th gen and I think they now offer over the air updates.

I think this is really a question for the dealer and something for them to resolve under warranty whether it can be done via over the air updates or if it's something that has to be done manually at the dealership or if it's something they consider normal and not a bug.

I haven't seen anyone else post of what you describe. Maybe it's a 'feature' or something related to the FOB repeatedly coming within proximity of the vehicle and the doors opening/closing - i.e. like interior lights coming on for those conditions. I don't have a 4th gen so I have no personal experience on your issue but I posted since you asked about the 3rd gen in this area.

· Registered
4,852 Posts
My only concern with this odd behavior is what if it happens and I don't notice it while leaving the vehicle sit for a few days. Unlikely, but how long before it would weaken or kill the battery? Probably a long time but, why deplete the battery at all for a bug? Rhetorical question, of course.
Have you left it in that weird state long enough to determine whether it just shuts itself off after a minute or few minutes, like the proximity detection, or whether it stays on forever until you open/close the driver door?

Leaving the FOB in the vehicle and then opening doors may have something to do with it. You can try an experiment of not leaving the FOB in there for awhile and seeing if the problem no longer exists.

btw - Most garages are very easy to break into so consider that when leaving the FOB in the vehicle.

Another note - my 2014 MDX, which I leave outside in my driveway, will randomly turn on the interior and entry lights once every few weeks or so in the middle of the night (I can detect it on a security cam) and I'm sure it's due to proximity of the FOB that's inside the house but not super far away and not in a faraday bag - probably certain atmospheric conditions. These vehicles with FOB proximity detectors can do some strange things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts