Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tire Replacement thread got mt to thinking about the tires on the MDX.

Those of you that are already driving around in an MDX...(you lucky dogs you...I have another week to go!)

Would you characterize the tires as loud or quiet?

Sticky or slippery?

Wet handling on pavement? Good or Bad?

How long are they supposed to last?

I am not concerned about snow, dirt, or anything but dry and wet paved roads. I live in Miami Beach and we are not allowed on the beach (not that I would ruin my X by taking it on the beach anyway), it never snows, and I won't be going boar hunting any time soon (never) so no "off-roading" either. Just to the golf course and back, to work and back, to New Orleans and back...you get the idea..pampered car...garage queen...no sun exposure and less rain (although inevitable in Miami during the summer)

When it come s time to replace them, I will be looking for two things...quiet and good wet and dry handling, like a Bridgestone Potenza type of tire. I wonder if there is a Potenza in our size??

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the MDX base model and the tires are lots quieter than the Goodyears on the Ford Explorer that I traded in for the MDX. So I'm happy! :cool:

Louise

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would hope they are quieter...a in non-exploding :rolleyes:

I expect most SUV tires to be a little noisier than luxury car tires because they have to have some kind of off-road capabilities, all weather traction, etc.

But I don't care about all that all-weather, off-road, snow, sand, etc. I want to get the smoothest rolling, quietest tires available in the stock size.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You will likely have a limited selection to choose from as it's not a common size.
I would always trade some quiet qualities for better traction and load capability in the interest of safety.
I have the Michelin and I don't think they are the quietest tires, but very smooth on most roads I've encountered. Plus, they handle very well.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MannyE said:
The Tire Replacement thread got mt to thinking about the tires on the MDX.

Those of you that are already driving around in an MDX...(you lucky dogs you...I have another week to go!)

Would you characterize the tires as loud or quiet?

Sticky or slippery?

Wet handling on pavement? Good or Bad?

How long are they supposed to last?

I am not concerned about snow, dirt, or anything but dry and wet paved roads. I live in Miami Beach and we are not allowed on the beach (not that I would ruin my X by taking it on the beach anyway), it never snows, and I won't be going boar hunting any time soon (never) so no "off-roading" either. Just to the golf course and back, to work and back, to New Orleans and back...you get the idea..pampered car...garage queen...no sun exposure and less rain (although inevitable in Miami during the summer)

When it come s time to replace them, I will be looking for two things...quiet and good wet and dry handling, like a Bridgestone Potenza type of tire. I wonder if there is a Potenza in our size??
I personally am a Michelin man, even before purchasing my MDX. I have the touring model with the Michelin Cross terrain and think they are excellent for a wet and dry pavement surface. They stick very good on turns and handle excellent. If you wanted to get a higher quality, I would ask a Michelin dealer if they have a higher tread/speed rated version of the Cross Terrain. I would strongly recommend the Michelin. I do have the Potenza on my 2000 Maxima SE and do think they are good, but overall I believe you can't beat the quality of Michelin. That's why so many high end luxury german/japan vehicles come stock with Michelin tires.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it will take a while to find a summer tire in the size I am looking for....as in I have to wait for someone to make it.

But I've been in this boat before...for two years I had only one choice of tire for my Impala SS...BF Goodrich crap T/A that at the first hint of rain handled like a runaway truck on a frozen lake! But now there are tons of choices. I'll bet Yokohama will come up with something soon.

Summer tires are the best choice for Miami because..hey..endless summer. No seasons! Well that's not true,, there are two seasons..wet and dry. Summer is wet and "winter" is dry.

I don't plan on carving any corners with the X either, so comfort and peace and quiet are of paramount importance

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MannyE said:
I guess it will take a while to find a summer tire in the size I am looking for....as in I have to wait for someone to make it.

But I've been in this boat before...for two years I had only one choice of tire for my Impala SS...BF Goodrich crap T/A that at the first hint of rain handled like a runaway truck on a frozen lake! But now there are tons of choices. I'll bet Yokohama will come up with something soon.

Summer tires are the best choice for Miami because..hey..endless summer. No seasons! Well that's not true,, there are two seasons..wet and dry. Summer is wet and "winter" is dry.

I don't plan on carving any corners with the X either, so comfort and peace and quiet are of paramount importance
Keep in mind the tires you are looking for are sport car performance tires, the Potenza and Yokohama. You really have an SUV which is a totally different ball game when it comes to tires. I would stick to the Michelins with a higher speed rating and better tread rating.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Another important point

I not in favor of the tires you mentioned because it will give a much firmer drive. My wife's maxima is made for performance and you want a stiff ride especially with the sport suspension. The firm rides helps at speeds in excess of 100 mph. On the other hand the MDX you don't want a firm ride you want luxury like a Lincoln Towncar in an SUV form. The suspension is already firmer than the other SUV's which makes it handle like a car especially with the independant rear. I believe the taller the tire the smoother the drive, I think you shouldn't go lower profile or you will make for a harsher drive. Don't get me wrong some of those tires look very good, I was considering a set of Momo's and huge 20-22 inch wheels. When I analyzed the changed I decided to stay with the existing setup. I didn't want the drive to change to a to firm drive and have to worry about hitting any potholes and destroying the rims and tires. Presently I like the handling at my usual crusing speed of 80-85 mph. I've had it to 115-120 mph and the Michelin were very good. I might be nervious with a lower profile and a larger rim at those high speeds. The SUV wasn't designed for that type of setup.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm I hadn't thought about it in those terms...this is my first SUV and I guess I'm having a tough time getting out of "car mode".

I should have not posted tire names, since I am only familiar with performance stuff. Until the X all my cars were for going fast and I would always mod with improved handling and acceleration as top priority.

My goal with the X is very different. Most mods will be for increased comfort not speed or handling.

What I really mean is that since the X is an SUV...the stock tires must have some compromises in terms of luxury (smooth and quiet operation) in order to perform in all-weather and all-terrain mode if the owner wants to do that sort of thing. I am not interested in all-weather or all-road at all and want to get a tire that is optomized for luxury.

I guess I should start looking at what Lexus, MB, and all the other high-end manufacturers use. It should be easy with at least .75 Bentleys per capita in Miami Beach.

Want to see a new exotic car on the road first? Come to Miami Beach...the only place where you can spot not one but two Mangusta Qvales in one day!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
When you review those tires on tirerack.com you will see they are light truck/SUV tires with the exception of the MXV4 which is really designed for a passenger car, not an SUV. SUV/lt. truck is what is designed to go on MDX stock rims. And as Paul, says among all of them, you will be pressed to fine any better than the Michelin Cross Terrain.
BTW I picked up a new Michelin for my full size spare for $122 at 1010tires.com it's $141 with shipping. Their prices are a little better than tirerack but TR is a great place for reviews and information.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Michelin Cross Terrain is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

It is probably a fantastic tire yet by the virtue of its name "Cross Terrain" it is implied that it will have a certain amount of characteristics (ie. the off-road ones) that will compromise it as a pure pavement touring tire like what you will find on top of the line luxury cars. It will make more noise at highway speeds, and not roll as smoothly on asphalt.

(I'm loving this thread....racking up posts like crazy...watch out Dale!:) )

What would make a tire of the exact same size unsuitable or unsafe for mounting on the X? Assuming the car it is made for has a similar wheelbase/weight? Also assuming that such a tire exists, which it doesn't yet...as far as I can see.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MannyE said:
The Michelin Cross Terrain is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

It is probably a fantastic tire yet by the virtue of its name "Cross Terrain" it is implied that it will have a certain amount of characteristics (ie. the off-road ones) that will compromise it as a pure pavement touring tire like what you will find on top of the line luxury cars. It will make more noise at highway speeds, and not roll as smoothly on asphalt.

(I'm loving this thread....racking up posts like crazy...watch out Dale!:) )

What would make a tire of the exact same size unsuitable or unsafe for mounting on the X? Assuming the car it is made for has a similar wheelbase/weight? Also assuming that such a tire exists, which it doesn't yet...as far as I can see.
(Yeah, I'm worried...:D )

First of all, the Cross Terrains are very smooth riding. A lot of the noise (and I don't think they are particularly noisy) has a lot to do with the design of the vehicle and how noise is transmitted through the body, not ONLY tread design and tire compostion. If you only desire a smooth an quiet ride with reasonable handling characteristics and a tire NOT designed for less than ideal road conditions, I would think the MXV4 might be more to your liking.

While I don't plan any serious off roading in my MDX, I do like the fact that it can handle less than ideal road condtions better than a conventional passenger vehicle. The tires I select have to match those capabilities I desire in a vehicle. The CT's in my opinion do a superb job besides providing a very secure and smooth highway ride.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok then.:p

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am very pleased with the low tire noise on the base level X, but I will just wear them down and then buy the better Michelins when that time comes. I had a 93 Jaguar sedan before this car and I really can't say the ride is dramatically different. Just took it on my first long weekend in the Smoky Mtns and even had to make a couple quick passes with no problems. I am very impressed with the vehicle after having it for a few months now, and look forward to seeing the bigger engine next year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Speaking of the Michelins, my father-in-law just bought a new Exploder and I noticed they have gone to Michelin as their tire of choice. Interesting.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Only_Acura said:
Speaking of the Michelins, my father-in-law just bought a new Exploder and I noticed they have gone to Michelin as their tire of choice. Interesting.
I hope you mean Explorer not Exploder, otherwise that was a very funny comment and I got a good laugh if that was what you meant to say.:2:

It's about time they went with a reputable tire company instead of Firestone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
paul123 said:

I hope you mean Exployer not Exploder, otherwise that was a very funny comment and I got a good laugh if that was what you meant to say.:2:
I did indeed mean the Explorer, however, that was not a misprint. I spelled it the way I have seen it referred to and got a chuckle out of it myself.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts