Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8,000 miles ago our 2010 MDX was low on oil. At first thought the dealer did not properly fill it. After the next oil change began my monitoring and she was definitely drinking it. The dealer started the standard 1,000 mile oil level check. First check no oil shortfall, second check 1/2 quart low and the last one yesterday..a whopping 3 quarts:surprise:. Of course they want to check it in another 1k miles.

The only difference in driving before the last check was the family vacation to Maine, about 500 highway miles. Might be steady state high heat driving is the culprit. In any case 3 quarts in 1k miles is scary bad oil consumption.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would think any competent mechanic would want to do a deeper dive after losing 3qts rather than just monitoring it further. Did they at least top you up?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
What's your total mileage? Mine had never used a drop but I've been checking it more often just out of concern that it might start. I'm around 90,000.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm at 74,000. They top it off after each check. I'll see what happens, may take a trip over Columbus day weekend to get some highway miles on it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This starts out just like my '11. At 2000 miles after oil changed, the car didn't consume anything, but at 3000 miles it took a nose dive - a little more than a quart. I ended up like 1500/Quart. This is what I have done:

1. Replaced PCV Valve -- helped a little, 700/0.25 Quart.
2. Flush the engine with BG 109 EPR, Refilled with QSUD 5w20
3. Drained QSUD 5w20 after 200 miles (looked slightly black already), refilled with QSUD 5w30.

QSUD 5w30 at 600 miles now and not a drop of oil. The oil is still golden honey just like I poured it in. The BG 109 EPR did something, probably loosen stucked piston rings. The engine sounds throatier when accelerates, and runs smoother. Now I feel like I want to drive the car every minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This starts out just like my '11. At 2000 miles after oil changed, the car didn't consume anything, but at 3000 miles it took a nose dive - a little more than a quart. I ended up like 1500/Quart. This is what I have done:

1. Replaced PCV Valve -- helped a little, 700/0.25 Quart.
2. Flush the engine with BG 109 EPR, Refilled with QSUD 5w20
3. Drained QSUD 5w20 after 200 miles (looked slightly black already), refilled with QSUD 5w30.

QSUD 5w30 at 600 miles now and not a drop of oil. The oil is still golden honey just like I poured it in. The BG 109 EPR did something, probably loosen stucked piston rings. The engine sounds throatier when accelerates, and runs smoother. Now I feel like I want to drive the car every minutes.
What was the thought behind filling with 5w20 as opposed to 5w30 after the flush as another step?

·
Registered
739 Posts
What was the thought behind filling with 5w20 as opposed to 5w30 after the flush as another step?

I was thinking of continuing to use 5w20 that was why I refilled with 5w20 after the flush. Then, I found that Honda's 3.7 engines around the world except NA are recommended to use 5w30 or alternatively 10w30, 0w40, and 5w40. So I made the switch to 5w30.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was thinking of continuing to use 5w20 that was why I refilled with 5w20 after the flush. Then, I found that Honda's 3.7 engines around the world except NA are recommended to use 5w30 or alternatively 10w30, 0w40, and 5w40. So I made the switch to 5w30.
Can you please explain how you flushed the engine with BG 109?

·
Registered
17 Posts
"BG" is a suite of products/services offered by authorized auto repair shops.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can buy BG 109 EPR from amazon for about $18 (11 oz can). To flush the engine, warm up the engine to operate temperature. Turn off engine. Pour BG 109 in through the oil filler port and close it. Run the engine for 10-15 minutes at 1200 rpm. Turn off engine. Drain the oil. Refill with fresh oil of your favorite brand. I drained and refilled after 200 miles to remove BG remnant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would like to contribute to this thread, my '13 MDX (40k miles now). Bought the car last June and immediately drained the dealer fill and filled Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, after 4k miles, I noticed the engine did not burn any oil from 1-3k miles of use, but consumed about 1/4 quart from 3-4k miles. I wanted to drain this oil and do a fresh oil change after 4k miles. I know this is negligible compared to what my other fellow MDX owners is experiencing with oil consumption. Drained and filled with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and just came back from a 500 mile road trip. Not a drop of oil. I will have this oil analyzed after 5k just to have a baseline with my engine.

With all the oil consumption problems with the J37, has anyone experienced Cat failures due to oil consumption?

·
Registered
134 Posts
2012 with 63k on the clock. I officially began my oil consumption analysis with my dealer this weekend. 5000 miles between oil changes with Mobil 1 5w20 and an extra 2.5 quarts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts