Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Greetings. I was at the Nissan dealership last week servicing the 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Wandered next door to the Acura Dealership and fell in love with the MDX. After visiting this forum, I had to see what all the hoopla was about.

Needless to say, I bought a 2002 SS touring w/Navi off the lot. Actuallty, it was in the back...just came off of the transport. Yes, no waiting period whatsoever. Paid MRSP and got **** for the trade-in for the Pathfinder since it was also a 2002. Lost mucho dinero, but hey....I'm happy.

Just got Stainless Steel Maniks installed, Mudguards, and ordered the wood dash kit.

Thanks to this forum, I just bought 4 652i's infinitys and got an Infinity Basslink for my new subwoofer. So far, sound installation is not fully complete yet. Sound is definitely "clearer" and now i will have some BASS!

Damn, got to stop visiting this forum for ideas on how to accessorize my MDX.

:2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congtras on your purchase. Nice to see that you had no waiting period. I have to wait for my X till the end of the month. Making me go crazy. Good Luck

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome

Nice decision. Quick and efficient, I like that. I waited 1 week for my X and was on pins and needles. I can only wonder what feelings for those who waited or are still waiting for weeks have. It's good you didn't have to experience "the wait".

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats! Wow, I envy you. Not only that you didnt have to wait but you already have lots of great gadgets for your X. :)

Expect more mods in the future! X owners are always busy trying to come up with more and more enhancements.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Congrats...

What a lucky person you are. No wait time........:1:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
drno, Congrats on your purchase!

drno said:
Just wanted to say Greetings. I was at the Nissan dealership last week servicing the 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Wandered next door to the Acura Dealership and fell in love with the MDX. After visiting this forum, I had to see what all the hoopla was about.

Needless to say, I bought a 2002 SS touring w/Navi off the lot. Actuallty, it was in the back...just came off of the transport. Yes, no waiting period whatsoever. Paid MRSP and got **** for the trade-in for the Pathfinder since it was also a 2002. Lost mucho dinero, but hey....I'm happy.

Just got Stainless Steel Maniks installed, Mudguards, and ordered the wood dash kit.

Thanks to this forum, I just bought 4 652i's infinitys and got an Infinity Basslink for my new subwoofer. So far, sound installation is not fully complete yet. Sound is definitely "clearer" and now i will have some BASS!

Damn, got to stop visiting this forum for ideas on how to accessorize my MDX.

Your decision to go with the MDX was an excellent one, but the fact that you chose the one with the unmatched, unparalleled Acura Navigation System is possibly the best decision you could've made in your life.......Yes, it's THAT good!! :D

Could you please tell me if your upgraded speakers include an external amp??......or are you using the existing amp on the stock sound system and just ONLY upgrading the speakers??........Specifically, I was wondering if the factory head unit has a PREAMP OUTPUT to connect an external amp.....I've had no luck trying to find this out in the "Audio" section of this forum

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: drno, Congrats on your purchase!

vicpai said:

Could you please tell me if your upgraded speakers include an external amp??......or are you using the existing amp on the stock sound system and just ONLY upgrading the speakers??........Specifically, I was wondering if the factory head unit has a PREAMP OUTPUT to connect an external amp.....I've had no luck trying to find this out in the "Audio" section of this forum

Thanks for your help!
I just replaced the door speakers with 6.5" Infinity's (The same ones that everyone seems to be raving about). No amplifier. I then used an 10" Infinity self powered subwoofer that was TAPPED into the rear speakers as HIGH LEVEL SIGNAL INPUT. Basically, the subwoofer has a built in 200 watt amplifier in an enclosure. Result is a system that finally has the highs and lows. The subwoofer has a wired remote that I mounted by the dash console that I can adjust the sound level of the Subwoofer. Sounds very clear now and I can crank up the sound and feel the bass. I didn't disconnect the original subwoofer nor the front door pillar speakers. I might try it later to see the difference.

Only drawback is I had to mount the subwoofer to the rear floor lid that covers the headrest compartment. I will have pictures up as soon as I can figure out the drivers to transfer my digital pictures to the computer.

P.S. I didn't lose any sound "level". As a matter of fact, I think it sounds much louder than stock setup...especially the bass, which can be heard outside the car now. Keep in mind, the Infinity Basslink Subwoofer will not give you the sound quality of a high quality box with a subwoofer in it. But hey, I'm completely satisfy.

Infinity 10" Basslink subwoofer sells for $299 at Circuit City. $30 for the remote control for the Basslink.

:cool:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Congratulations and ...

... welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: Re: drno, Congrats on your purchase!

drno said:

I then used an 10" Infinity self powered subwoofer that was TAPPED into the rear speakers as HIGH LEVEL SIGNAL INPUT.

Only drawback is I had to mount the subwoofer to the rear floor lid that covers the headrest compartment. I will have pictures up as soon as I can figure out the drivers to transfer my digital pictures to the computer.

P.S. I didn't lose any sound "level". As a matter of fact, I think it sounds much louder than stock setup...especially the bass, which can be heard outside the car now. Keep in mind, the Infinity Basslink Subwoofer will not give you the sound quality of a high quality box with a subwoofer in it. But hey, I'm completely satisfy.

Infinity 10" Basslink subwoofer sells for $299 at Circuit City. $30 for the remote control for the Basslink.

Very interesting upgrade. I would be very interested to see pictures. Also, exactly where did you run the wires and ultimately tap in?
At this point, I have replaced the door speakers with the Infinities and put bass blockers on the front speakers which has pretty much eliminated the booming I was hearing. And, after fiddling with the stock sub, I have restored it to its factory set up. While I am quite content with the sound now, your upgrade seems quite interesting.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

drno said:

I just replaced the door speakers with 6.5" Infinity's (The same ones that everyone seems to be raving about). No amplifier. I then used an 10" Infinity self powered subwoofer that was TAPPED into the rear speakers as HIGH LEVEL SIGNAL INPUT. Basically, the subwoofer has a built in 200 watt amplifier in an enclosure. Result is a system that finally has the highs and lows. The subwoofer has a wired remote that I mounted by the dash console that I can adjust the sound level of the Subwoofer. Sounds very clear now and I can crank up the sound and feel the bass. I didn't disconnect the original subwoofer nor the front door pillar speakers. I might try it later to see the difference.

When I get my MDX, I'll probably do the same thing (Neither the bass nor highs of the Bose system are befitting of a premium sound system and especially the highs are not "CRISP").......I'm glad a simple replacement of the tweeters/midranges and adding a sub works wonders!!.........but, I'll probably try fitting a 10" sub in the existing enclosure, but with an added amp for tighter bass

Thanks once again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts