Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fare there are hood alignment concerns, front to rear door flushness (panels are not matched shapes), the rear doors have gaps that make them appear to not be fully closed.

Now, and I can't believe it, the splash guards on the rear fit so poorly to the body and bottom molding you could stick a chopstick between them and the bumper. Where does it end. Should the first ones before I bought. Should have seen the splash guard issues when I picked it up, but was distracted as the car was in for a vibration problem and some interior noise issues.

Anyone else seen the splash guard poor fit. I'll be taking back to the dealer, when I have more things that need to be addressed or need maintenance.

I simply can't believe the on-going concerns.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can you take some pictures of some of this stuff? You have been going on about how awful these things are, I think we need some photographic evidence of how badly assembled your car is. If for nothing else, so we know what to look for.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If it's of any assistance, I posted these a couple months ago in my similarly titled thread. I did not picture my muffler which wasn't completely installed nor the loose rear bumper reflectors, but here are some of the issues I snapped (within 200 miles of buying the car):

Here are some pictures:

Proper alignment of hood:

Improper alignment of hood:

Various roof liner fitment issues:

Extremely unreliable and inconsistent display of street names on NAV (not really a fitment/quality issue, just bonehead engineering):

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having trouble posting pics. Any help would be appreciated. I find the pics are useful as you point out. In lieu of that, a description, confirmation or statement that most do or don't have my issues would suffice. I try to mention mine specifically, rather than saying the car suffers from build issues everywhere.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't checked my license plate light, but I will. My rear bumper reflectors were lose, so it wouldn't surprise me if the same dimwitted guy/gal didn't tighten other things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just keep hearing new noises. By now, I'm focusing, probably too much. The issues for me are: Noisy/Rattle prone glides to the second row seat, rattle in the passenger second row seat at the hinge for the back, rattle from what sounds like the driver a-pillar over rough road surfaces and a very strange noise near the passenger door that sounds like pulling masking tape off of a smooth surface. That last one happens without any particular event occurring; however, there I realize there is a cause.

On the good side, I like the vehicle including the dual screens and I don't have any transmission issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can confirm those mismatch also shows in my car. Splash guard should be easy fix though since it's just a few screws. Door and panel mismatch are like impossible to fix.

I totally feel the assembly work is quite lousy but I guess that's average for cars assembled in US. If you check Tesla's forum, it gets even worse and Tesla is like 2-3X the price... I'm sure those people will be even more pissed if they start to notice the issues. lol

However, it doesn't mean I am happy with the quality but I can't find a way to ask Acura to improve it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't believe all of these fitment quality problems. I really was really starting to like this generation too. It seems with each generation the quality gets worse and worse. My 2006 had much better build quality compaired to my 2009. Don't make go German Acura!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you look around the vehicle, I would say the majority is built ok. The parts that aren't are grossly out of specification. I work for a company that provides product for this vehicle, actually, parts visible on the outside, which apply to the fit and finish discussion. We are held to tolerances of +/-lmm and tighter for dimensional control (with statistical control, which controls the consistency of the component flow) and cosmetic requirements are very stringent. I'm surprised that acura/honda is not holding themselves to the same standards, particularly in the body stamping, which I assume they do, and assembly.

Sad, because it could have been a better car. Everything was there for them to design, produce internally, acquire externally and assemble. They must have made a conscious decision to let things go without holding themselves and suppliers accountable because the things we are seeing, they are seeing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts