Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys used the castrol transmax multi vehicle import transmission fluid?ive been working on my spare 2003 acura mdx.got the brakes done then freed up the shift cable at the transmission.bought this mdx and was told the transmission was kaput,but after I freed up the shift cable it suddenly would go into gear.so I grabbed 9 quarts of the castol and began to to do a fill and flush.after the second fill that being 6 quarts,it will not go into gear anymore.did I do something really dumb by not using the acura atf fluid?the castrol bottle says its good for most honda and acura transmissions.

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I figured I might as well do the final fill and flush.got just about 9.5 quarts into it.i think my tranny is for sure NFG,when cold I can get it to go into rev,and drive.as it warms up theres a delay in the shifting from park, neutral, rev and drive. after it runs for 20 minutes or so I get no engagement in any gears.my fluid level is just below the top mark on the dip stick and the fluid is now nice and clean.
am I S.O.L or what? thanks

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You may in the market for a "new" tranny, but you might also get lucky. It appears that the ATF you bought is compatible, but I'm wimpy enough to just buy the Honda Z1 fluid so I don't have to worry about creating any problems.

You should scan for codes - there's a good chance that you have a shift solenoid or pressure switch that's gummed / blocked (one that's got a lot of debris built up will get worse when it's warm). Those are a whole lot cheaper / easier to replace than the whole tranny. I don't recall off-hand which of the solenoids / pressure switches might cause your symptoms, but I'd suggest doing a search. Gotta be a lot of data out there on it - but having a code would be a REAL help, as would hooking up the vehicle to a HDS computer and seeing what's going on (you can twiddle the solenoids manually and listen for one that's "not quite right" when it's warm, for example).

And of course, I'd recommend pouring in 8 ounces of LubeGard Platinum, just because I've seen it help trannies with worse symptoms than yours. I've also seen it do nothing at all, but it's the king of cheap and easy repair attempts. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts