Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 price really throws me out of my budget too..
Now I have a chance to decide between
02 Touring +Navi @ MSRP($39800) or 03 Touring @ MSRP($38800)
They are exactly $1000 apart, and I prefer a car with a Navigation and can't wait until Jan/03. I am even thinking converting to 03 Pilot EX-L + Navi(old Navi too).
Will I really miss the 03's features? 20Hp, VSA, Redesign Wheel. More powerful audio, drive-by-wire?

Does the 02's Bose sounds really that bad?


Can you really tell the difference by the exterior of 02 and 03 MDX models besides the rim redesign?


:confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I decided on the 2002 -- you cannot tell from the exterior of the car, except for the minor change on the "Acura" trim on the rear of the MDX -- and the tire rims. I would not notice either of them .. However, the new improvements were nice ... it was very tempting ...

My main problem is that I really wanted the touring with navi -- and I cannot wait until January -- seems like most people are happy with their 2002 MDX -- figure if I love it, in 4 years I can get the REALLY improved 2006!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
2003MDX said:
03 price really throws me out of my budget too..
Now I have a chance to decide between
02 Touring +Navi @ MSRP($39800) or 03 Touring @ MSRP($38800)
They are exactly $1000 apart, and I prefer a car with a Navigation and can't wait until Jan/03. I am even thinking converting to 03 Pilot EX-L + Navi(old Navi too).
Will I really miss the 03's features? 20Hp, VSA, Redesign Wheel. More powerful audio, drive-by-wire?

Does the 02's Bose sounds really that bad?

Can you really tell the difference by the exterior of 02 and 03 MDX models besides the rim redesign?
I'm going to take the contrarian view here about going with the 2002's.

You can spend $1,200 more than the '02 Touring+Nav and get a significantly better navigation system, a very good safety feature to have with VSA (it should correct the MDX's slight fishtailing, as demonstrated by Consumer Reports and Motor Week), and numerous other creature comfort improvements (smoother ride, smoother shifting, possibly less noise and harshness, auto up/down window for the driver, etc. etc.).

I realize you may already be at the top of your budget, and I can understand the psychological implications of breaking the $40k barrier, but the key question is whether or not the $1,200 plus extra taxes (sales, a slight lux tax) is a deal-breaker for you. You do get a lot for it. A lot of 2001/2002 owners would gladly pay the extra to get the upgrades. If you're going to live with this vehicle for a while, will you be happy knowing what you could have gotten for an extra $1,200?

I only think the 2002 is a good buy if you can get a signficant discount off of MSRP. If you're going to sell or trade-in the vehicle within several years, just the depreciation hit alone by going with the 2002 will offset most of that $1,200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Oh, yeah -- I got them to come off $1,000 on the price of the 2002, also! That really helped me make the decision, too!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I do agree with Mr. Quinn -- however, it was the timing factor more than the price issue! I have already sold my car -- and I just can't wait until January (and possibly later)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Lynn said:
I do agree with Mr. Quinn -- however, it was the timing factor more than the price issue! I have already sold my car -- and I just can't wait until January (and possibly later)!
Time pressure is always the final arbiter in most decisions. Every vehicle purchase decision is made at a point in time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
Re: Re: another 2002 vs 2003 dilemma

wmquan said:


...I'm going to take the contrarian view here about going with the 2002's.

You can spend $1,200 more than the '02 Touring+Nav and get a significantly better navigation system, a very good safety feature to have with VSA (it should correct the MDX's slight fishtailing, as demonstrated by Consumer Reports and Motor Week), another excellent safety feature in the rear-view camera, and numerous other creature comfort improvements (smoother ride, smoother shifting, possibly less noise and harshness, auto up/down window for the driver, etc. etc.).

I realize you may already be at the top of your budget, and I can understand the psychological implications of breaking the $40k barrier, but the key question is whether or not the $1,200 plus extra taxes (sales, a slight lux tax) is a deal-breaker for you. You do get a lot for it. A lot of 2001/2002 owners would gladly pay the extra to get the upgrades. If you're going to live with this vehicle for a while, will you be happy knowing what you could have gotten for an extra $1,200?

I only think the 2002 is a good buy if you can get a signficant discount off of MSRP. If you're going to sell or trade-in the vehicle within several years, just the depreciation hit alone by going with the 2002 will offset most of that $1,200.
I might add, that I'd guess that one may pay an additional $40 to $50 per month (depending on the loan interest), per thousand dollars. Not much difference. However, I truely understand the psychology behind hitting "monetary barriers":4: I can say that after I did not opt for the Navi:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Probably the biggest buyer's regret I've seen with the MDX is not getting the Navi, I'm sorry to say. While I think the majority of folks who did not get the Navi are happy with their decision (I am), the quantity of the minority on this system (for the last couple of years) makes that the largest "buyer's regret" item. Especially since you can't retrofit the Navi and the third-party systems aren't as well-integrated.

Usually folks who buy the Base or the Touring don't have regrets about their decision to get the Base/get the Touring.

Yeah, the psychology make sense, though, because where do you stop? E.g. for another $2,000, one can get another trim. But then another $2,000 may buy a competing vehicle which may be more attractive. It just goes on and on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
I'd agree with the "go with the 2003s" crowd. Especially with the improvemnts to the HP, VSA, and Navi improvements. I've done the calculation and with current rates it's about $20 more per $1000 of car. That's three lunches here in Manhattan/month, not much I'd say for the incremental features. Additionally, in five years you'll be selling a 2003 instead of 2002 MDX, which could make up some of the difference...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Also if you get the NAV for 2003 you also get the back-up camera. Many here have installed rear sensors or cameras. This also decreases the price increase, as you will have to add these later on which can be costly especially for the camera via the NAV screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
2003MDX,
You have to wait for Tour w/ Nav till Jan 03? I thought they were available by Nov/Dec? We go to the same dealership so I'm suprised you have a difft date...unless you placed your order later than me pushing you into the Dec build...?

IMOH, I think you should go for the 2003 or a 03 Pilot, which will retain their value longer than a 02 MDX.
MDXtrous is right, over a longer period of time, that $1000 difference is barely noticeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,099 Posts
2003MDX said:
Does the 02's Bose sounds really that bad?
When I first got my MDX, I thought I could live with the Bose stereo. However, after a few months, the flaws in the system really started to dissapoint me. There are no highs, no stereo separation, no soundstage, and the subwoofer is whimpy. I finally broke down and went with an after market stereo system. The only thing I kept was the Bose head unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nm2 said:
2003MDX,
You have to wait for Tour w/ Nav till Jan 03? I thought they were available by Nov/Dec? We go to the same dealership so I'm suprised you have a difft date...unless you placed your order later than me pushing you into the Dec build...?

IMOH, I think you should go for the 2003 or a 03 Pilot, which will retain their value longer than a 02 MDX.
MDXtrous is right, over a longer period of time, that $1000 difference is barely noticeable.
nm2, Did you get a Build Date for your 03 T+Navi?

My 03 Touring's Build Date is 10/16. Dealer told me that a 02 T+Navi is available too. After the price bumps on the Touring without significant change in interior made me thinking to change my order to 02 T+Navi for $1000 more than what I am paying now. I really like the Navi feature, and don't mind to go and take the 03 Pilot(Old Navi too). So why not pick the 02 T+Navi for extra $1000, and enjoy the Navi System. I can't wait for Jan/03 since I sold my car already.
:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
2003MDX said:


nm2, Did you get a Build Date for your 03 T+Navi?

My 03 Touring's Build Date is 10/16. Dealer told me that a 02 T+Navi is available too. After the price bumps on the Touring without significant change in interior made me thinking to change my order to 02 T+Navi for $1000 more than what I am paying now. I really like the Navi feature, and don't mind to go and take the 03 Pilot(Old Navi too). So why not pick the 02 T+Navi for extra $1000, and enjoy the Navi System. I can't wait for Jan/03 since I sold my car already.
:rolleyes:
My question was, why do you have to wait for Jan 03?
No, I don't have a build date yet but dealer said we made into the Nov build. ( by the way, you end up paying $1200 more for T+Nav now).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
kishino said:
Also if you get the NAV for 2003 you also get the back-up camera.
I agree. I have the 2002 touring/navi and am very happy with it but if I had a choice I would wait for the 2003 mainly because of the integrated backup camera. But I also think that you will be very happy with a 2002 X as well so I think it's a win/win situation. Good luck with your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nm2,
Since I placed my order for 03 Touring Already(Build Date 10/16), need to rewait for 03 T+Nav, and that will push me to next year....:(
I placed the order in August for 03 Base, upgraded to 03 Touring in Sept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MDXtrous said:
I'd agree with the "go with the 2003s" crowd. Especially with the improvemnts to the HP, VSA, and Navi improvements. I've done the calculation and with current rates it's about $20 more per $1000 of car. That's three lunches here in Manhattan/month, not much I'd say for the incremental features. Additionally, in five years you'll be selling a 2003 instead of 2002 MDX, which could make up some of the difference...
It is not the $1200 decision from 02 T+Nav to 03 one, I can't wait until next year to get the car. I have to decide if I want a 02 T+Navi or 03 Touring in Oct with $1000 difference. I do like the VSA and 20HP, Drive-by-Wire. But I do prefer a Navi if I have a choice. I am not racing my car with X5 and pround to beat it for extra 0.25 sec. Reduce Noise for 03 is a plus, but If I can live with ML320's noise. 02 Model will suit me very well. For the poor 02 Bose sound quality. Will they really improve that many in 03 models?
I am planing to keep the car for a while, 1000+ less in reselling value is not a factor to me. Since YOU CAN'T PHYSICALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 02 AND 03 MODELS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Re: Re: another 2002 vs 2003 dilemma

EXCALIBUR said:


When I first got my MDX, I thought I could live with the Bose stereo. However, after a few months, the flaws in the system really started to dissapoint me. There are no highs, no stereo separation, no soundstage, and the subwoofer is whimpy. I finally broke down and went with an after market stereo system. The only thing I kept was the Bose head unit.
Any pics of the install?

What did you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
I am in the same boat as you 2003mdx. I need a vehicle in the next couple weeks and have now set in my mind that navigation is a must. I haven't heard too many unhappy 2002 owners. Heck I have memorized the brochure for the 2002. My decision is not only availability but a monetary issue as well. I know I will be happy with a 2002. Heck, there is nothing stopping me from talking to the nav system.....so what if it doesn't respond:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,099 Posts
Re: Re: Re: another 2002 vs 2003 dilemma

HrdTsk said:


Any pics of the install?

What did you use?
Sorry, there are no pictures of the installation. Everything was a "stealth" install. My MDX looks completely stock. I did retain the Bose head unit and added: Boston Acoustic speakers front and rear, two Boston Acoustic subwoofers in a custom enclosure mounted flush in the third row seat area, and power provided by two Rockford Fosgate amplifiers. "An amusing stereo system, a bit presumptuous, yet ultimately palatable.":7:
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top