Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like there have been a lot of vehicles lately that have been getting android displays that replace both the radio and climate control system designed for them. Lexus RX, Accords, TLs, Civics, etc. But no love for the MDX. Has anyone stumbles upon one of these for the MDX?

·
Registered
623 Posts
It seems like there have been a lot of vehicles lately that have been getting android displays that replace both the radio and climate control system designed for them lately. Lexus RX, Accords, TLs, Civics, etc. But no love for the MDX. Has anyone stumbles upon one of these for the MDX?
Every one of those I've seen rely on the fact more modern cars have the entire car including the HVAC control communicating on the CANBUS car network.

The 01-06 MDX did not have the HVAC communicating on the CANBUS. It uses an undocumented proprietary communication protocol on physically separate wires.

Given that the G1 MDX is long out of production and this is no longer the future architecture of car communication, I don't think anyone will ever bother to reverse engineer this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s terrible news! The oldest Honda I’ve seen something like this advertised for was a 2003 Accord. Must have been around the time they moved to something modern.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That’s terrible news! The oldest Honda I’ve seen something like this advertised for was a 2003 Accord. Must have been around the time they moved to something modern.
Do you have a link to the one that supposedly works with an 03 Accord? Would be interesting to look at the specs, and see if I can find factory service manual of that Accord online. I don't have an 'all car' subscription. If Honda HVAC control part numbers align, and that company developed a control daughter board, it might work.

Did that Accord have a fully automatic HVAC system? Possibly Honda started the transition to CANBUS with manually controlled electronically actuated HVAC systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
623 Posts
Both came from the factory with automatic climate control

04-08 TL
03-08 Accord

Whoo boy...

I was looking on my computer, not phone, which jacks up their site - but the Aliexpress one doesn't say it has CANBUS capability or capability to control the HVAC in the general description or reviews, there was no documentation of it's detailed specs or installation process. It implies in only 1 pic that it can control the HVAC because it shows a screenshot of it. I wouldn't buy something that expensive from them without better documentation pre-purchase.

The Amazon one also doesn't say it has CANBUS in the description or that it can control HVAC. In one pic it shows the CANBUS connector you need to use if your car "requires CANBUS". It doesn't look like there are any other separate connectors for other proprietary Honda communication. The reviews aren't good, but do say that you can control the HVAC only with a celsius setting. I'd consider buying through Amazon to try, because I trust they enforce their vendors to their advertised return policies.

I may try to find an 03-07 Accord service manual so I can see how the HVAC works - to see if it is on CANBUS as I suspect for this to even have a chance to work. But both of these look like hot garbage, and I'm not sure I'd want to mess with trying to make it work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve seen a couple real life, various vendors, versions of android and makes of cars. They’ve all be functional, not sure if they’re worth the hassle but they look neat.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I’ve seen a couple real life, various vendors, versions of android and makes of cars. They’ve all be functional, not sure if they’re worth the hassle but they look neat.
You know that you can put one in a MDX. You'd have to do the custom trim work or hire someone to, as there isn't a standard DIN size for these like there is for radios. But there are installers who do that kind of stuff if you don't want to.

The other considerations are you will only be able to control your air conditioner with the 8 button control panel at the top of the dash. You lose your Acura calculated MPG and range figures, and the compass - as you won't have room for either the factory nav screen or the trip computer alternative. Other than that, there is nothing special about these things over a double DIN android radio that people put in MDXes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone make a double din kit that mounts the radio where the trip computer is? I just don’t want to stare down near the shifter when I’m looking at my GPS or looking to see who sings a song, etc. I’ve of the ones that I’ve seen put the radio down low in the stack.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does anyone make a double din kit that mounts the radio where the trip computer is? I just don’t want to stare down near the shifter when I’m looking at my GPS or looking to see who sings a song, etc. I’ve of the ones that I’ve seen put the radio down low in the stack.
Not that I've found. But one person on this forum did swap them. That requires doing a custom metal frame to mount behind the trim because the navi screen doesn't use DIN mounting a radio would, and then cutting or forming custom plastic trim.

You'll also have to release a bunch of wiring holds and strip back the protective wire wrap to get the screen able to move down with enough wire slack. Might require lengthening the actual harnesses, but with enough work you might get away with not doing that.

If you delete the navi screen then you get to skip the last part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased the JVC KW1000z and put it in my 05 MDX. The radio has worked Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I have an Android phone and it works flawlessly. With Android phones you can stream and app from you phone to the radio. It comes in handy when I'm at the different practices for my kids.

Check it out. Definitely worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts