Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
The service manager at my dealer was told this was the root cause by an Acura HQ engineer. I asked if I should trade up to a 2022. He told me the 2022 MDX has the same Alpine issue. It appears when Google Assistant is voice initiated for a phone call only, it freezes the incoming audio level. Everything else worked fine with voice activation such as navigation commands to Google Maps. No issue with Hondas. My dealer gave me a new Honda CRV as a loaner and Android Auto worked fine with my same phone. No issue whasoever with my new Cadillac XT6. It is an Acura/Alpine problem

· Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The only way it gets fixed is if enough people complain to Acura, but only if that gets funneled up the chain to the engineering dept. If just the dealer and no where else nothing will happen. Then Acura needs to work with Google to have them fix it.

Regardless of what dealer said or Acura said, there's no way this can be an alpine head unit issue as it worked fine for 2 years and then suddenly stopped working. If it were a head unit issue it never would have worked from the beginning. Also no head unit software updates could have broken it as no Ota update ability.

Android auto always has tons of things get broken some of which stay broken for years. They always break stuff with updates and take forever to recognize they broke things and fix it.

We need new threads started on Android auto forum at Google reporting this issue as current thread was marked as solved and Android auto team now ignores it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Work around is to use Acura voice control to place a call instead of Google assistant. Or use rotary knob. Once you use assistant it breaks volume for every option until you restart. So just never use assistant to place outbound calls, use Acura voice commands or rotary knob

· Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Pathetic that Google still hasn't bothered to fix this but instead shift blame to Acura. Google assistant always has new bugs and Google is extremely slow to fix (if they bother to fix it at all). Complete garbage.

· Registered
15 Posts
This is Acura's issue to fix with Google and Alpine who makes the head unit. My dealer and the Acura factory tech rep acknowledged this was a systemic bug in the Alpine head unit. After 7 months dealing with this mess through Acura, I finally gave up and traded my new MDX for a Cadillac XT6. No issues with Android Auto whatsoever in my new ride. Works flawlessly now. Funny. When I had my MDX into service for the umpteenth time, the dealer gave me a Honda loaner...and Android Auto worked perfectly in that car. Obviously, Acura and Alpine have no software bug resolution clout with Google. GM would not let this go so long without hammering them.

· Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance
330 Posts
Still happens 100% for me.

• When using android or car dialer, or clicking a location in a phone app, the call volume is fine 100% of the time.
  • When making a call via Google Assistant, the call volume is low bad 100% of the time. I also notice that the AC vents don't quiet down like on a normal call, so the car is definitely in a confused state. My guess is that it thinks Google Assistant is still responding so it reduces background audio so I can hear Google's response, and thus reduces the call volume thinking it is background audio.

My workaround has been to us the wheel dial and increase volume to 40 if I am making a quick call (like restaurant reservations or checking business hours). I also shut off AC to reduce blower noise.

For calls I know will be long, I use Google Assistant to make the call, hang up once it rings, and then use the android dialer to redial. As long as you use the Andriod dialer, the volume is fine.

Finger pointing like this is annoying, it used to work fine a year ago so Google knows how to do a workaround but won't even if it is Acura's fault. Acura just hides behind "we can't guarantee continued functions on Android Auto and Carplay", which could be a justified response as Google Assistant calls did work properly a year ago when Acura designed/built the car. 100% failures are the easiest for software developers to fix, it's a shame no one in this ecosystem cares enough.

· Registered
15 Posts
I traded in a mint condition Lexus for the MDX specifically because I wanted ro get the Android Auto technology my Lexus did not have. I have owned 3 Acuras over the years. I loved driving every one of them. However, after this totally unacceptable, miserable customer suppprt experience from a supposedly "premium" luxury car manufacturer, I will never buy another one.

· Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,293 Posts
This is Acura's issue to fix with Google and Alpine who makes the head unit. My dealer and the Acura factory tech rep acknowledged this was a systemic bug in the Alpine head unit. After 7 months dealing with this mess through Acura, I finally gave up and traded my new MDX for a Cadillac XT6. No issues with Android Auto whatsoever in my new ride. Works flawlessly now. Funny. When I had my MDX into service for the umpteenth time, the dealer gave me a Honda loaner...and Android Auto worked perfectly in that car. Obviously, Acura and Alpine have no software bug resolution clout with Google. GM would not let this go so long without hammering them.
I traded in a mint condition Lexus for the MDX specifically because I wanted ro get the Android Auto technology my Lexus did not have. I have owned 3 Acuras over the years. I loved driving every one of them. However, after this totally unacceptable, miserable customer suppprt experience from a supposedly "premium" luxury car manufacturer, I will never buy another one.
DAVE RAMSEY HAS ENTERED THE CHAT

But seriously, you gotta be the smartest person in the world to trade in a perfect vehicle for a new vehicle and then trade in that good new vehicle for a POS garbage from GM for 1 ITEM only. I had issues with Android Auto on my parents POS 2019 Rogue since like Day 1, ON MULTIPLE DEVICES no less, and we aren't getting rid of it for that reason. It took ages for Nissan to fix that issue after I brought it up a million times and complained to them each time to get it fixed. The reason I want to get rid of that vehicle because it almost killed half the family.

And lets be real here. Honda & Acura doesn't make the software for their devices; its the device manufacturer that does it. It took Bosch ages to finally get around to fix the issue for the Rogues, since it was basically unbearable to use audio while using Android Auto without some interference regardless of cable happening every 20 to 30 seconds.

· Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,293 Posts
You are too rude and ignorant to even acknowledge.
Okay, say as you wish, because your posts came out as I am rich and I am completely impatient. You basically couldn’t wait for Acura and Google to address this issue. Seriously. And you also didn’t have the patience to invest $600 into a GROM unit for a perfect Lexus to have Android Auto. Man, before you go calling others ignorant and rude, maybe check yourself and your reasonings before you say “Imma drop an arm and leg for a new car because I am impatient to wait for an update OR delivery of a product.” If this was a lease then a whole different story. And seriously, you do know that Android Auto can be used on the phone too, not needing a system to be hosted on, unlike CarPlay. You didn’t even bother to list if your vehicles had any other issues, either electrical or mechanical.

Customer service from corporate shouldn’t be an issue since ALL manufacturers does the same thing. I’ve experienced this handful of times. Many of them have the corporate vibe and will always send you to their dealer network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
15 Posts
Just further illustrates your ignorance. You know absolutely nothing about me or my situation and yet you formed all those negative opinions. This forum is unfortunately not for sharing experiential information...it is just one more stop along the social media sewer system for trolls to throw stones

· Registered
4 Posts
Work around is to use Acura voice control to place a call instead of Google assistant. Or use rotary knob. Once you use assistant it breaks volume for every option until you restart. So just never use assistant to place outbound calls, use Acura voice commands or rotary knob

I do not bely That's not a valid solution bc Acura can only call people in your contacts list. Whereas Google can look up numbers to call if you don't know them.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a very possible workaround and I'd like to ask everyone to try it and provide feedback. Instead of using the voice command "call" followed by a name (ie call John Smith). Try the command "make a phone call". AA will ask who do you want to call, them you say "John Smith".

It works for me 100% if there is no other back and forth. Meaning it finds the # and calls it without asking any clarifying questions.

If it has to ask another question like "home or mobile" then the volume fails again.

Like I said a possible workaround. Let me know!!

· Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The issue isn't with placing the call. The issue is once the call is active the volume is so low you can't have a conversation. Only fix is to disconnect from USB, reboot phone and then reconnect USB. In any event once you place a call by having assistant call someone the volume will be low no matter how you place a call from that point forward until you disconnect USB and or reboot phone.

Lesson learned is to not ask assistant to place any calls. Use phone app via Android auto rotary knob, phone button on Acura head unit, or use Acura voice control to place the call

· Registered
4 Posts
The issue isn't with placing the call. The issue is once the call is active the volume is so low you can't have a conversation. Only fix is to disconnect from USB, reboot phone and then reconnect USB. In any event once you place a call by having assistant call someone the volume will be low no matter how you place a call from that point forward until you disconnect USB and or reboot phone.

Lesson learned is to not ask assistant to place any calls. Use phone app via Android auto rotary knob, phone button on Acura head unit, or use Acura voice control to place the call

Yes I realize this. I'm experiencing the same thing in my new 2020 TLX. I've been able to easily work around that issue with a slightly different command.

· Registered
4 Posts

The issue is started by how you initiate the call. Low Call Volume is the symptom of AA not handling off the call to Bluetooth once it's initiated.

Therefore initiating it in a different way, such as rotary dial or Acura voice is a remedy.

I'm suggesting another remedy that keeps AA relavant and most importantly hands free. Initiate the call with the Google voice command "make a phone call".

Test it if you can and see if it works for you as it does for me.
Thanks.

· Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance
330 Posts
Didn't work for me on my Galaxy zFlip3. Same low volume.

(The first time I tried testing that phrase I had no bluetooth sound at all, and could never get sound back despite rebooting phone and restarting car. May have been coincidence but I then noticed there was a Samsung OS monthly security update available, and the sound came back after applying the OS update. But still had the low volume using Assistant, after the OS update.)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts