Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't anyone else experience extremely low call volume when placing outbound call via Android Auto?

Whenever I place an outbound call through assistant (via voice), call volume is barely audible even after turning volume all the way up.

I have 2019 mdx with Samsung S21 ultra (however was also an issue with my s10+).

Would like to know who else experiences this problem. Would appear to be Android auto issue based on testing I've done

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some additional tests here and narrowed it down.

I started by removing my device from Acura Bluetooth settings, same on my phone, also removed my phone from Acura android auto settings, then uninstalled android auto on my phone then reinstalled and paired device. After all this it works fine until u turn off the vehicle and disconnect USB, then the next time you connect via USB call volume is low again.

While connected to USB, call volume is low no matter how you place a call (android auto voice assistant, android auto phone app via rotary knob, Acura phone app via voice commands, Acura phone app via rotary knob).

Once I unplug USB and connect via Acura Bluetooth link, then call volume is fine via Acura phone app voice commands and rotary knob.

So it's clearly an android auto problem since as soon it's connected via USB call volume is low, and goes back to normal once you unplug USB.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the fact no one else replied indicate they can use Android auto, place a call either by saying "OK google call xxxx", or can place a call by using "phone" app in Android auto using rotary knob, and after placing the call the call volume on speakers is fine?

When I do either option above the call volume on my end is barely audible, and turning the volume up to max has minimal effect.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
1,150 Posts
Interesting. Have a 2018 using a galaxy S10 with no problem. I would suggest talking to your dealer and have them run the issue up the flag pole. To fix one if my problems my dealer finally found a retired engineer that correctly diagnosed the problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to confirm, have you done the following?

1. Pair phone to car Bluetooth for call and audio
2. Connect via USB and pair Android Auto with vehicle
3. Say "OK google call xxx"
4. When other end answers confirm if you can hear them thru vehicle speakers and turnig up the stereo volume works
5. Use rotary knob to select Android Auto phone app and place outbound call
6. When other end answers confirm if you can hear them thru vehicle speakers and turning up volume works

When I do either of these the volume on my end is extremely low and turning it up to max makes little difference. If I unpair Android auto and reconnect it works fine until I reboot my vehicle then it stops working again.

Reading Android Auto forums on Google it appears this is a widespread issue impacting Acura and has been a problem for over a year now

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Volume on the phone itself is irrelevant for android auto. I'm talking about turning up stereo volume in the mdx. Just like listening to music, I don't need to adjust volume on phone just the mdx volume. Also it's via USB not Bluetooth so no Bluetooth volume to adjust

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it makes no difference. It shows on phone its adjusting Bluetooth volume when I turn volume up on phone itself but since it's connected via USB it doesn't matter as Android Auto uses usb.

Next time you go for a drive can you try connecting phone via USB and trying to place a call simply by saying "OK google call xxx"?

When I first got in my car and called via Android Auto phone app by using Rotary knob it was fine. But then I called by saying "OK google call xxx" and from that point on no Matter whether I call by talking to assistant or using Rotary knob the volume was low and turning it up to max made no difference.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance
322 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same issue with my Galaxy S10. Google is blaming Acura, though I recall it wasn't this bad a few months ago so is seems like Android Auto software.

See below. I'm going to my dealer on Tuesday for scheduled maintenance and will ask if they can raise this up the flagpole.

I posted on that thread, it's garbage that google blames Acura when it's only an issue with google assistant.

FYI, next time you place a call use the rotary knob and android auto phone app and it will work fine. You can also use Acura phone app and rotary knob or Acura voice commands. Once you try using Google assistant it breaks everything until you disconnect USB and reconnect again.

I'll complain when I bring mine in for service in the next month or so (10% oil life left, waiting til 5%).

Hopefully Acura can push google to fix this, it worked fine forever but this has been broken for over a year now And google stopped following that thread Once they blamed Acura for the problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is not a Google or Acura technical issue. I just learned today from my Acura dealer (via an Acura technical engineer) that Alpine, the maker of the infotainment systems in our vehicles, has known about this volume limit problem for a long time and none of the Acura dealer service departments were disclosed. Alpine is supposedly "working on a fix" but no projected time line has been provided. It appears they never owned up to Acura about what they knew until recently. I had my 2020 MDX back to the dealer at least 5 times and even had an Acura HQ tech engineer come out to validate and capture demo video of the phone volume failure. Let your local dealer know and ensure they push upstream for an accelerated fix from Alpine. This is a serious customer satisfaction issue with a premium vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is not a Google or Acura technical issue. I just learned today from my Acura dealer (via an Acura technical engineer) that Alpine, the maker of the infotainment systems in our vehicles, has known about this volume limit problem for a long time and none of the Acura dealer service departments were disclosed. Alpine is supposedly "working on a fix" but no projected time line has been provided. It appears they never owned up to Acura about what they knew until recently. I had my 2020 MDX back to the dealer at least 5 times and even had an Acura HQ tech engineer come out to validate and capture demo video of the phone volume failure. Let your local dealer know and ensure they push upstream for an accelerated fix from Alpine. This is a serious customer satisfaction issue with a premium vehicle.

Thanks for chasing this down!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I finally dumped my 7 month old MDX and traded it in for a Cadillac XT6...with technology, a dealer and a car manufacturer that works for the customer. This would have been my 3rd Acura. I am done with Acura for good. No one should have to deal with issues like this for months...and having Acura Client Relations blame the failure on my phone and Google until the real facts get revealed. I trust GM has more clout with their tech suppliers to get things fixed than Acura. I was told the 2022 MDX has the same infotainment system guts and will have the same problem until Alpine comes up with a fix. Best of luck to all Acura owners who will have to live with a defect for an indeterminate time.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance
322 Posts
Acura hasn't had a great track record with technology lately, many RDX owners left the brand after waiting a year for Android auto.

I knew about this issue before purchase and accepted it as a known minus to balance against many plusses. It only impacts Android voice assistant calls, I either turn volume up to 40 using the wheel knob during the call, or just hang up while the call is ringing and redial using the onscreen recent call list.

Both workarounds suck but for me are worth the other reasons I love the car. Hopefully if others do as you did and impact their sales, Acura will start paying more attention to this.

Anyone have any real traction w Client relations and have a case number and/or form letter we can send to complain about this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a case number ...Case #11885859 Its been open for 5 months. Their great customer relations person told me to read the disclaimer in the owners manual stating they have no control over Google apps. Terrible way to deal with a customer....especially knowing that this has nothing to do with the app ...an Alpine hardware issue is the real problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's odd is how could this possibly be a head unit issue when it used to work perfectly fine and then broke suddenly when there were no updates to the head unit (no Ota updates), just updates to Google assistant, android auto and phone os.

If this were a problem from the beginning then head unit would make sense. I don't understand how it could possibly be their issue.

Again it's only an issue when placing call via Google assistant. Any other way works fine.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance
322 Posts
To me it looks like Android Auto still thinks Assistant is in the foreground and lowers other audio while it is speaking.

The only way this wouldn't be a google problem is if Alpine were supposed to issue some phone call status to the OS, and it wasn't. Back when Android Auto was in growth mode they could have chosen to write workarounds for noncomplint hardware, and now they may no longer allow a tolerance. This could line up with Acura blaming Google and Google blaming Acura.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The service manager at my dealer was told this was the root cause by an Acura HQ engineer. I asked if I should trade up to a 2022. He told me the 2022 MDX has the same Alpine issue. It appears when Google Assistant is voice initiated for a phone call only, it freezes the incoming audio level. Everything else worked fine with voice activation such as navigation commands to Google Maps. No issue with Hondas. My dealer gave me a new Honda CRV as a loaner and Android Auto worked fine with my same phone. No issue whasoever with my new Cadillac XT6. It is an Acura/Alpine problem

1 - 20 of 49 Posts