Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the release of Carplay & Android Auto on the 2018 model and since the dimensions are the same for the headunit, could someone locate the part for the possibility to upgrade a 2016 model (similar to how someone put the folding sideview mirrors on from canada parts).

If completely not possible, does anyone know how to hack siri-eyes-free to work with an android device instead?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
With the release of Carplay & Android Auto on the 2018 model and since the dimensions are the same for the headunit, could someone locate the part for the possibility to upgrade a 2016 model (similar to how someone put the folding sideview mirrors on from canada parts).

If completely not possible, does anyone know how to hack siri-eyes-free to work with an android device instead?

Thank you in advance.
Here is some thing I found https://youtu.be/OI1iFMHqR50 I have no tried this on my 17 MDX. I will try it tomorrow and will let you know. To keep the phone open I am planning to use android auto app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.projection.gearhead

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The parts diagrams are not up yet for the 18, so it's hard to say. I've been looking at the TLXs diagrams and there are some part number changes, so it could be a can of worms. Acura/Honda said the displays didn't change resolutions, but I do wonder if they needed to change the wiring for the upper display too. But if the pricing is indicative of anything, the TLXs Android Auto/Carplay navigation system panel assembly alone is about $1k. With all the parts of the navi system, it's about $4k (to be fair, the old unit in total was the same price).

Also, it would be helpful to procure the wiring diagrams, as the back connectors need to be checked for compatibility. The retractable mirrors are really just needing to get the new switch (for manual control) and the mirrors themselves (I think I priced this around $600), plus some wiring.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Thanks Neoshi. I look forward to finding the diagram and part to get this modded, unless you know of a hack to get siri-eyes-free working with android.
I've been looking myself.. something to spoof the car into thinking it's Siri but allow for pass through to Google Assistant. However, nothing has been found yet. To be honest though, with "Ok Google" I haven't really don't see the need for looking for a pass through for the Siri Eyes Free button anymore. There's so much functionality now with Google Assistant via voice commands that actually get my commands right that I've lost interest voice pass through buttons for vehicles.

On the side of getting Android to show up on the screen, I'm going to be installing a Naviks soon to accomplish that.

Oh but I have spotted 2017 navi units at junk yards for about $200. I'm kind of tracking that to see if 2018s pop up for about the same price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Retrofitting is possible but there are multiple components that would be required and it would not be cheap to do:

1 - Replacement Navi - The new navi's (while same shape and size) have different hardware allowing CP/AA
2 - Replacement upper display - New system uses a different upper display resolution (required for CP/AA)
3 - Replacement jog knob - Not immediately necessary as old jog will work, but buttons are mapped differently
4 - New Tuner - Tuner is changed from 17M (if retrofitting a 17M you can skip this)
5 - New CP/AA box - There is a specific box that handles the heavy lifting of the CP/AA that goes between the Navi unit and USB (there are new specific harnesses for this as well) (PN-39095-TYR-*****)
6 - New TCU
7 - New Dash harness (with new connectors) [could potentially splice your way to this]

Everything else should be carryover outside of that, but with all of that alone, its likely to be upwards of 5-6k.

I'd suggest start checking the junkyards and rip out the whole center stack when they go on sale....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.