Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the MDX has been sitting idle in the hanger [aka garage]...this COVID thing.. cant go anywhere, at least I got the snow tires off last week and got the transfer case oil done.
My son had to go to his work, [ he works at a pharmacy...his store remains open.. ] his little Civic has new 2-3" layer of snow on it... so its easier to take Dad's MDX than brush the snow off the Civic..... [ roll eyes here..]

Then I hear... DaaaaaaD, you better come and see this....!!!
The dash is flashing....... Check emission control / check AWD stability system / check trailer... mmm something... Ahhhhh crap.. of top of all other things we are dealing with..................
Do a few searches... and I'm not getting a good feeling..

I call the dealer......... I explain the situation............. " you a have a low voltage issue.... get a new battery.... good bye...!!! " I really got the gut feeling of... - we really dont want you to come in unless you really need to...!! -
Off to Costco, right after work... 45 mins wait in line in the snow ... 2 meters apart... expect for 1guys... he doesnt get it....!!

After dinner.. prepare the removal of the old battery , I get my sons booster pack.. and clip + and - to the cables...disconnect battery - old battery doesnt have a handle... geezz,, how to make life just a little harder... slide in the new battery, reconnect cables and disconnect booster pack... MDX didnt skip a beat... all electronic memories saved..

The moment of truth... start the DX and voila...!!! all back to normal..... :)

This was a little story with a happy ending... ;) ... thought I would share.
Cheers
and stay safe everyone..
J.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yep, pretty much what dealer said: you got low voltage battery that has been drained. Most likely by the HFL (BlueTooth) module. It's a known issue and it drains a battery if the car is left sitting for a couple of days.

Take a look at this video on how to fix the battery drain. It's pretty simple and straightforward:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm possibly.... but this DX is 2013 on the original battery,.... I am not inclined to think its a Bluetooth issue.. but thanks for the reminder.. if it happens again ..soon.. then yah.. thats where im going
Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is normal for the Christmas Lights when a low battery needing to be replaced. It's looks scary, but a new battery will put a smile on your face again. Been there.....done that. Generally batteries will last 3 years.....stretching if you make it to 4. Yes, I know some people will say, they got 10 years out a battery.....but to be truthful....they are lying.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah.. i got 7... so I cant complain.. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is normal for the Christmas Lights when a low battery needing to be replaced. It's looks scary, but a new battery will put a smile on your face again. Been there.....done that. Generally batteries will last 3 years.....stretching if you make it to 4. Yes, I know some people will say, they got 10 years out a battery.....but to be truthful....they are lying.
I got 10 years out of my factory Toyota Tundra battery and just changed the original battery out of my 2005 Yamaha Grizzly last year. All my batteries are wired for a low amperage smart battery maintainer. Starting batteries aren't designed to drain below about 80% charge and every time you do it takes considerable time off their life expectancy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts