Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many have noticed, the rear end of the gas filler door sticks up above the body panel, and that misalignment has always bothered me. After months of thinking about it, the solution suddenly popped into my head. I put a small vinyl cap on the bolt (the bolt that retracts to open the door), and it is just thick enough to make the door perfectly level with the surrounding panel. I have a box of such vinyl "caps," (which are often used to protect the open end of bolts and screws) and the one I used has an inside diameter of 0.2435 inches (or 6.20 mm). It slides firmly onto the bolt with a little pushing, and you do want it snug. When you push it on, you'll feel the spring that locks the latch pushing against you, which is fine. Just keep pushing. In the image with the cap installed, you'll see that I applied a bit of grease to prevent wear and allow it to slide easily into the female section of the latch. I'm not sure the grease is really needed with a smooth vinyl cap, but it won't hurt. It took one minute to "install" this very appreciated fix.

You may have to experiment a bit to find a cap that is both snug on the bolt and small enough in the outside diameter to fit in the female part of the latch, but in my parts box of such things, I found several different ones that worked. You can find such caps on Amazon, for example here: https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Flexible-Rubber-Protector/dp/B07611HTJX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532112924&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+caps+1/4

Attachments

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
As many have noticed, the rear end of the gas filler door sticks up above the body panel, and that misalignment has always bothered me. After months of thinking about it, the solution suddenly popped into my head. I put a small vinyl cap on the bolt (the bolt that retracts to open the door), and it is just thick enough to make the door perfectly level with the surrounding panel. I have a box of such vinyl "caps," (which are often used to protect the open end of bolts and screws) and the one I used has an inside diameter of 0.2435 inches (or 6.20 mm). It slides firmly onto the bolt with a little pushing, and you do want it snug. When you push it on, you'll feel the spring that locks the latch pushing against you, which is fine. Just keep pushing. In the image with the cap installed, you'll see that I applied a bit of grease to prevent wear and allow it to slide easily into the female section of the latch. I'm not sure the grease is really needed with a smooth vinyl cap, but it won't hurt. It took one minute to "install" this very appreciated fix.

You may have to experiment a bit to find a cap that is both snug on the bolt and small enough in the outside diameter to fit in the female part of the latch, but in my parts box of such things, I found several different ones that worked. You can find such caps on Amazon, for example here: https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Flexible-Rubber-Protector/dp/B07611HTJX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532112924&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+caps+1/4
I found an easy fix also. I had the dealer fix it before I picked it up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found an easy fix also. I had the dealer fix it before I picked it up.
Well I think they bent it to do that, for the latch itself is completely unadjustable. Or perhaps there's something I don't understand.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Well I think they bent it to do that, for the latch itself is completely unadjustable. Or perhaps there's something I don't understand.
I installed part # 74481-TZ5-A02 from TSB 18-007 and notice the fuel door gap is reduced.

I've also seen the dealer install a piece of foam behind the fuel door retention pin... Basically the same concept as what you're showing, but I like your method, better -- seems more durable.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It looked great when it was done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed part # 74481-TZ5-A02 from TSB 18-007 and notice the fuel door gap is reduced.

I've also seen the dealer install a piece of foam behind the fuel door retention pin... Basically the same concept as what you're showing, but I like your method, better -- seems more durable.
I think the part you're referencing is the semi circular "hood" plate that shields the fuel filler from water. My car came from the factory with that part, but it still had a very significant misalignment. Unless they changed the female section on the hood plate (which includes the sliding spring that pops open the door), it's difficult to see how that would correct the problem. I imagine the bolt is attached to a small motor mounted inside the fender, and the positioning of that motor might be slightly adjustable; but you'd have to remove interior panels to get to it. You'd want to shift it slightly (two or three mm or so) towards the center of the car. Perhaps this is what was done to Elvis's car, though I've heard of several dealers simply bending the fuel door. The foam idea sounds pretty flakey, and as you say, not very durable with the bolt sliding back and forth over it. In any case, the vinyl cap works perfectly, and takes about 10 seconds to install.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cool tip, thanks for sharing. I love it when a simple solution to a problem pops into my head...usually in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
carli123, you're welcome. Yes, it came to me in the middle of the night, after three months of "sleeping on it."

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think the part you're referencing is the semi circular "hood" plate that shields the fuel filler from water. My car came from the factory with that part, but it still had a very significant misalignment. Unless they changed the female section on the hood plate (which includes the sliding spring that pops open the door), it's difficult to see how that would correct the problem. I imagine the bolt is attached to a small motor mounted inside the fender, and the positioning of that motor might be slightly adjustable; but you'd have to remove interior panels to get to it. You'd want to shift it slightly (two or three mm or so) towards the center of the car. Perhaps this is what was done to Elvis's car, though I've heard of several dealers simply bending the fuel door. The foam idea sounds pretty flakey, and as you say, not very durable with the bolt sliding back and forth over it. In any case, the vinyl cap works perfectly, and takes about 10 seconds to install.
Don’t know what was done. I can tell you the cover is not bent. Perhaps they did what you did. Since many cars have this issue,it’s not inconceivable that someone came up with the same fix.
I checked and there is nothing on the bolt.

·
Registered
713 Posts
really - a TSB? I just pushed on the latch a tiny bit with my thumb and that lowered the door to level. Have to check that TSB.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really - a TSB? I just pushed on the latch a tiny bit with my thumb and that lowered the door to level. Have to check that TSB.
I saw the TSB. That didn't work here, I can tell you that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I mentioned this to my dealer and he told me this was a known problem on the older MDX’s. He took a picture of the gap and sent it to Acura. They suggested to replace the rubber liner and now it is fixed. It is flush with the body.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I mentioned this to my dealer and he told me this was a known problem on the older MDX’s. He took a picture of the gap and sent it to Acura. They suggested to replace the rubber liner and now it is fixed. It is flush with the body.
What is the "rubber liner?" I'm not sure what that part would be, and I'd like to know.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
What is the "rubber liner?" I'm not sure what that part would be, and I'd like to know.
I’m taking a wild guess here. When you open the door,the area surrounding the fuel filler appears to be rubber.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I’m taking a wild guess here. When you open the door,the area surrounding the fuel filler appears to be rubber.
I wouldn't thing of it as a "liner," more like a grommet or collar. And I can't see why changing that part out would affect the position of the door. But it's the only rubber I can think of in or behind the gas door, so maybe you're right.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well I did wallyo's rubber liner trick (rubber cap on plunger) and fixed mine...I bet it was like $.07 worth of material I had already lying around and no wasted time at the dealer...time is an extremely undervalued commodity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I mean the rubber around the gas around the fuel filler. On the service invoice they called it the inner boot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I mean the rubber around the gas around the fuel filler. On the service invoice they called it the inner boot.
Silver5, thank you for taking the time to respond. But I still can't see how this would affect the positioning of the door. Neither the door nor the latches (male or female) even touch this part. Nevertheless, if it worked it worked!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the original inner boot was a bit thicker. The service guy did warn me that he has replaced these on numerous MDX’s and some are worse and some are better. Acura allows this one time change for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just want to say you really helped me. I just leased a 2019 MDX with tech package and am suprised they still have this with fuel door sticking out. You pictures and suggestion was truly an “easy fix”. It’s now flush with the body. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts