Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen ranges of 5oz to 6.25 for a 2005, and was wondering which is correct?

Also, does everyone usually replace the expansion valve when replacing the compressor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Paraphrasing the factory manual (pg 21-6) for compressor replacement, drain old compressor oil and subtract that from 6 oz. Drain the difference from your new compressor to maintain 6 oz. Also states if no oil drains from the old, don’t drain more than 1 2/3 oz from the new. (Specs Denso ND-Oil 8.)

I’ve only done an AC repair on a Civic and replaced the expansion valve and receiver/dryer with the compressor. Usually you have to replace both to keep your warranty. The EV has a small orifice and if your compressor failed in such a way to cause some metal fragments in the line, your EV could become clogged.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Like LOP said, if there's any debris in your AC system from the compressor failure, you're going to want to replace the orifice and the dryer / accumulator, AND make sure that you thoroughly flush the system (I've used brake cleaner to do that - figuring that it's volatile enough that it will evaporate pretty quickly, especially when being chased through with compressed air). Of course, if you do this, figure that will also remove virtually all the oil in the system and fill accordingly (six ounces minus whatever the new compressor came filled with).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC works great! Replaced compressor, condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve. (didn't do rear AC) Pulled a vacuum for 1.5 hours. The evaporator cabin filter was filthy, and there was a ton of leaves in the evaporator compartment. Car smells much better now when the AC is on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
jentink
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing