Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set it up yesterday, worked when asked a question first time, now it only listens, does not answer and displays sample questions. Anyone else having problems with ALEXA or know how to resolve the issue I am having?

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
I assume it needs to connect to internet with either Wifi HotSpot or AT&T Vehicle Data Plan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, we were connected
When you see Alexa speaking on screen, try to increase the volume. It could be that connected services volume is low.
It could be that the internet connection to the car is very slow. Try to change WIFI.
Lastly If it does not work try to delink and relink amazon account and try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with Alexa on my new 2022 MDX .Worked for a couple of days and then it stopped. I'm listening to Radio or siriusXM and I ask Alexa. The screen switches to Alexa and after about 2 seconds the radio is coming back. It's like it starts but not listening for the command. Tried everything mentioned on this forum with no success. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Set it up yesterday, worked when asked a question first time, now it only listens, does not answer and displays sample questions. Anyone else having problems with ALEXA or know how to resolve the issue I am having?
I have the exact same problem. I have talked to Acura tech support multiple times with no resolution. They have walked me through everything, including resetting the car to factory default. Nothing seems to help. They are supposed to call back, but it's been well over a week. If someone gets this figured out, I would love to know the answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am facing the same problem. It worked a couple of times and since then, it just keeps at listen-mode. Hoping to get answers soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am facing the same problem. It worked a couple of times and since then, it just keeps at listen-mode. Hoping to get answers soon.
Okay - Updates. It seems to be an internet connection problem. After messing with it for a while, I unregistered Alexa from my vehicle and then registered it back. Acura will display a security pin or barcode for you to enter/scan into amazon.com/code site. Immediately after this, I was able to work with Alexa for a while. I stopped the car and restarted, and then Alexa started displaying prompts that it was having connectivity issues and that the Internel connection was low. I have 1 Gbps internet connection at my home so was surprised when I saw this. Next, I could've to turn my phone into a Hotspot and see if that would work, but I dont have that high-end package not do I want to pay extra for this. I need to check how Alexa would work if I made my car a Hotspot and repeated the unregister/register steps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay - Updates. It seems to be an internet connection problem. After messing with it for a while, I unregistered Alexa from my vehicle and then registered it back. Acura will display a security pin or barcode for you to enter/scan into amazon.com/code site. Immediately after this, I was able to work with Alexa for a while. I stopped the car and restarted, and then Alexa started displaying prompts that it was having connectivity issues and that the Internel connection was low. I have 1 Gbps internet connection at my home so was surprised when I saw this. Next, I could've to turn my phone into a Hotspot and see if that would work, but I dont have that high-end package not do I want to pay extra for this. I need to check how Alexa would work if I made my car a Hotspot and repeated the unregister/register steps.
I just got a call back from Acura and they are working hard on a resolution. So they are aware of the problem. When they call back I will post again.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance | Fathom Blue Pearl
6 Posts
This is related to connectivity to the Internet. Even if you're connected, the quality of the signal is important. It worked OK while in my garage and the car picked up my home Wi-Fi signal. What really made the problem go away was signing up for the AT&T Hotspot service.

Prior to signing up for that, my option was to connect via the personal hotspot thing on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, which is on an unlimited plan. I could've stuck with just using the iPhone, but depending on where I'm at, the phone's signal can be iffy. The car's shark fin antenna is probably optimized for picking up cell service, but can't speak to that technically.

All I know is it's working great now after being annoyed for some time by what's described in this thread.

Also, remember to enable the Alexa skill for AcuraLink here!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is related to connectivity to the Internet. Even if you're connected, the quality of the signal is important. It worked OK while in my garage and the car picked up my home Wi-Fi signal. What really made the problem go away was signing up for the AT&T Hotspot service.

Prior to signing up for that, my option was to connect via the personal hotspot thing on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, which is on an unlimited plan. I could've stuck with just using the iPhone, but depending on where I'm at, the phone's signal can be iffy. The car's shark fin antenna is probably optimized for picking up cell service, but can't speak to that technically.

All I know is it's working great now after being annoyed for some time by what's described in this thread.

Also, remember to enable the Alexa skill for AcuraLink here!
How much for the AT&T hotspot service per moth and how many GB’s? Also do you have AT&T for a cell phone provider? Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance | Fathom Blue Pearl
6 Posts
AT&T's current pricing for the Hotspot service starts at $10 a month for people already with them on a cell phone plan and $20 for non-AT&T people. I'm with Verizon Wireless so I would've paid the latter. However, the lady on the phone offered it to me at $200 for the year if I paid up front (~$16.67 a month), which I did.

It's unlimited, but if you exceed 22GB for the month, they may slow the speed if the network is busy (apparently this is normal practice with carriers). I think that's reasonable, plus I think going over the line in the sand before potential throttling would be exceedingly rare in our case.

You're welcome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried to set up Alexa, but it did not work. Does anyone have instructions to do so? Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I remember correctly, I connect my phone via blue tooth, then I enabled Alexa on my Amazon prime account. On the MDX screen, I selected Alexa then set up. A few times it just loading and some other time it said set up unsuccessfully. So I went and installed Amazon Alexa on Android and follow the directions on the screen to connect with a device, but it still did not work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts