·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow

...and the website is even more impressive than the car!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Even better in person

The early magazine pics of the 7-series BMW weren't that impressive IMO. But I've seen a few of the real thing on the road out here in Los Angeles and the car is really quite attractive in person. As always, BMW has some unique, cool colors.
The technology is impressive, but it's way too much for most people...myself included.

·
Registered
126 Posts
BMW 745

My neighbor just bought one - black of course. He had some difficulty in locating one (as with most BMWs) so they must be selling. The idrive is not my cup-of-tea at all, but it is a great gadget. Surprised that BMW did this - I would peg this for a Japanese manufacturer like Lexus or Infiniti (they already did with the new Q45). Acura?

My last car was a BMW as well.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wide Eyed

Saw one on the road going home the other day.....the driver pulled up behind me, cut to the right lane, slowed up a bit before making a right hand turn - -- - -> my eyes were glued on to this beauty, the attractive looking woman dipped her glasses down for a sec - - ->then sped off.

Like that Range Rover commercial "Take me with you!"

·
Registered
928 Posts
I guess I am the only one who finds these gadgets unimpressive and useless. I'm sorry, but shouldn't this baby drive by itself by now? Anything else would be uncivilized... ;)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Probably be more fun with a 6-speed stick shift!;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Right-O

Ah yes - my other car is a 6-sp manual, all wheel drive, twin-turbo V6, ....any guesses what it is for you motorheads out there?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Right-O

rroof said:
Ah yes - my other car is a 6-sp manual, all wheel drive, twin-turbo V6, ....any guesses what it is for you motorheads out there?
may I dare take a guess? 2.7L Audi S4? :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
since I KNOW I GUESSED IT RIGHT ;)
here are the specs from edmunds (a'la paul123 style...)

Starting things out is a 2.7-liter twin-turbo V6 engine. Sporting twin intercoolers, dual-overhead cams, five valves per cylinder, variable valve timing for the intake camshafts, and optimized combustion chambers, the engine generates 250 horsepower and 258 foot-pounds of torque. Audi has designed the engine to provide much of its power low in the revband. Consequently, the S4 makes quick work of freeway on-ramps and passing maneuvers. Audi gives buyers of the S4 a choice of transmissions; there's a six-speed manual transmission or a five-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission.

All S4s come with Audi's quattro all-wheel-drive system, which constantly monitors the grip of the tires. When one of them starts to lose traction, the quattro system automatically applies power to the tires with the most adhesion to the road surface. Audi says this latest edition of the quattro all-wheel-drive system is capable enough to allow the car to get underway with only one wheel having reasonable traction.

The suspension and braking components have also been improved. Major items of note are bigger and stronger brakes, revised aluminum suspension pieces, performance-tuned shocks and springs, and unique 17-inch wheels with 225/45R17 tires.

The interior retains the same architecture found in the A4, which means an attractive design and a decent number of features. Special leather upholstery covers standard power seats, and contrasting color suede inserts can be had when ordering the sport interior package. Other options to consider include a sunroof, heated front seats, a six-disc CD changer, and a Bose premium audio system. For safety, there are standard front and head-curtain airbags.

·
Registered
619 Posts
saw the new 7 series at the houston auto show. It's has a beautiful interior. I don't care for all the gadgetry. its overwheming and dangerous. oh, and what up with a silly auto tranny shifter that is 3 inches long?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
bling, bling, bling....

You are correct sgtlock. (BTW, I was a CPT in the Army)

Your paste from edmunds is on, however.....many (if not most) S4 owners get this car (over a vette, M3, etc.) for its ease of modification.

I have revamped the entire suspension (coilovers, 18" tires with lightweight rims), short shifter, APR ECU, cat-back exhaust, BOV, etc. Still costs less than an M3 at 55K loaded (although I do have one on order :)

Putting out around 340hp, but more importantly over 376 ft/lb or torque (starting from 1850 rpm). I can fit the kids in it and still do 12 sec 1/4 mile runs in the rain! Mine is a perfect sleeper silver with nothing fancy about it (the way I like it). Love the looks at the 1/4 mile track when the pony cars say "that car ran a 12 what?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i did a test drive on the new 7 series and what i noticed is that the road or tire noise is not so "bimmerish" you what i mean??? i also did a test drive on an X5 and a 3 series and the noise level is better compared to the new 7. as for the interior and the gadgets i hope acura would have this luxuries in the near future. the new 7 even comes with an optional "butt massager". the head rest could also be adjusted to conform to the back of your head for more comfort. only thing i don't like is the noise intrusion probably caused by the big tires that go with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I saw one on the road recently, the exterior looks like a cross between a Volvo and an Infinity. I am totally not impressed.

The new 5 series is supposed to have the same design. Only God can save BMW!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
"only God can save BMW?" After just "seeing" one on the road? I don't much like the rear end either, but have you DRIVEN one (or any BMW)? Some of the best cars out there, bar none. For the way these cars drive (yes, I HAVE driven a new 745i), I could learn to like the styling......They will sell everyone that they produce (currently a wait now, like the MDX) so there must be some kind of demand (albeit an expensive one).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts