Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't get any help under the PROBLEMS thread about the poor AM reception from the Audio System. Gonna see the dealer on Wednesday and was hoping on others experience to help with my problem.

Is the Sensitivity too high or the Selectrivity too low? Reminds me of a Chinese Boombox.

Would appreciate some feedback.

·
681 Posts
We Have AM Too????

Can't say, since you brought it up I have searched my memory and I really do not believe I have ever had the AM on:confused: And I've had the car going on to a year and a half. I'll make sure to give it a try tonight.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Haven't had a problem. Listen to the AM (although only one station) every time I'm in the car for New York traffic.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Never had a problem with AM either - and I listen to 2 or 3 diff stations to catch traffic & news.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Sorry...ours has been OK since day 1...listen to AM all the time...traffic n news.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Same here, AM works fine. :)

FM reception is a different story. :(

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I live about 25 miles outside of Boston, and I have difficulty getting several AM stations (sports talk) that come in clearly in my Volvo. FM is OK, but AM is rather weak.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
No prob here 02X with either band AM or FM.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine had AM stations that would go in and out. Dealer replaced the reception unit on the roof. Had to remove from the inside but works great now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the influx of information. Generated more response in 24 hours than a whole month under the PROBLEMS thread.

Listen mainly to AM since being a musician, I find very little worth listening to on FM. The daytime reception is fine, but after dark.
the only thing that comes in decent is the local 50,000 watter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Poor AM reception

Our 2001 MDX, purchased in July 2001, has very poor AM radio reception. The signal is very faint and susceptible to even poorer reception when going under a freeway overpass. We live in the Santa Clarita Valley, just 35 miles north of downtown Los Angeles. The dealer has told us that this is typical of the MDX due to the location of the antenna. I don't buy this and will be taking in the car to them to demand that they fix it.

By comparison, I have a 2003 TL-S and the AM reception is quite good, in exactly the same reception area.

·
Registered
818 Posts
CHAZMAN said:
Listen mainly to AM since being a musician, I find very little worth listening to on FM.
Why is FM not worth listening to? And what does being a musician have to do with appreciating music on either AM or FM band?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Music Appreciation Lesson

Thanks for the belated AM feedback. Unfortunately, I have been advised by Acura that inferior reception, especially after sunset, is typical of a sensitive tuner and the AM signal. Picking up too many staions over a large area and conflicting with each other.

And to the "hock"--- the point being that I primarily listen to AM, usually not music, since there is very little in the commercial music idiom worth listening to. When I desire to listen to music, the tape or disc players are utilized. Sorry to take up space with private message material but I felt an explanation was in order.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DaleB said:
.... 'reception' to be better in American cars.
That has not been my experience so far. I like to listen to an AM station that has a week signal for news in the morning while driving to work. The MDX picks up this station better than any of the other 4 vehicles I have driven in the last few years. Three are American (GMC & 2 Ford P/U's) and the other is my wifes Volvo.

I have read on this forum that the AM reception is considerably worse after dark in the MDX. I have not tried the radio in my X after dark yet. So far by the time the sun is down my X has been safely put to bed in the garage.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I always thought with the location of a the antenna the MDX might have some advantage under less than ideal conditions, but I can't see it's better than other cars I have had in that regard.
Most after-market radios I have installed in the vehicles in the past always seemed better.
Of course the installation usually included upgraded speakers, and sometimes amps, so maybe the whole effect made things seem better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.