Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently looking at a MDX at a dealer and the vehicle has 20,000 miles, touring package, Navigation, running boards, roof racks.

the dealer wants 33,000 for it, is this a good deal?
btw it has no major body damage, but it has the usual nicks and dings(very few)

t.i.a.:1:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Now, did they give you a VIN?

I'd go to a DIFFERENT DEALER and see if they would run a service report on that VIN. (Or walk back to the service desk at this dealer for the actual printout., but don't ask a salesman for it.)

Find out if it is as represented, and not a 'lemon buyback' or transmission problem, etc.

Ard

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It's a 2001? Right?
You can also get a pedigree by running the VIN through www.carfax.com

It will give you a super complete report on when it was bought, if it was resold, rolled over, rolled back, salvage auctioned, major accident, stolen, has been water or fire damaged, (not too likely, but what the heck?) It costs $14.99. The Lemon Check is free. Worth 15 bucks if you are seriously interested in any used car.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Used MDX

If it was me....I counter offer at 29750.00 if cash paid up front not including tax and license.

If I was to finance it I counter offer at 30,000.00 even not including tax and license.

Nicks and dings are costly to repair if you cannot do it yourself...

So my answer is...$33,000.00 is not a good deal. Something you have to understand that economy of scale..A BRAND NEW MDX is easier to sell than a used on at an Acura lot. If that Acura dealer is SMART. They get those nicks and dings fixed...sell it at PERFECT condition after inspection for $37,000.00 and would sell it in a day.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm not going to win friends...

But, I don't think that $33k is a "great deal". Mind you, the price might be OK for today, but I would argue that with 03s right around the corner you might get a much better price in a few weeks.

Granted, the level of options makes this MDX very attractive, but those options probably added little to what this DEALER PAID ( I would guess $27-29K) to buy the MDX -- in essence they are charging you for all the "extras" but I doubt they gave whoever they bought (or traded) it from much for those extras. The margin they are asking (4-5K) is quite a bit bigger than the spread from invoice to MSRP on any MDX..

The buzz on the boards has been about much the 03 will go up in price, and the thinking from the dealers has been " very small increase" -- coupled with the real changes in VSC, throttle by wire, transmission, Nav et cetera you might be kicking yourself for not waiting a few weeks (though Nav models probably won't be in production for a month or so...)

Don't forget the big DEPRECIATION that hits vehicles AFTER 3 years/36000 miles -- you very close to that, but the dealer knows that time is NOT on his side with the 03s coming...

I guess it all comes down to what is the most you want to spend & when do you NEED the vehicle. For RIGHT NOW that may be a good price (4-6K worth of options {roof rack is PART of touring, the running boards, Touring & Navi are added!} and about 1-2k less than a Premium MDX), but that doesn't make this a "good deal".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help guys/gals. i have decided to go for it:D
i wont bother posting pics of it cause everyone here knows what i'm getting into.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
DaleB said:
It's a 2001? Right?
You can also get a pedigree by running the VIN through www.carfax.com

It will give you a super complete report on when it was bought, if it was resold, rolled over, rolled back, salvage auctioned, major accident, stolen, has been water or fire damaged, (not too likely, but what the heck?) It costs $14.99. The Lemon Check is free. Worth 15 bucks if you are seriously interested in any used car.
Sure, but won't tell you if it had a serious oil leak, trans failure, etc, etc that ALMOST caused a lemon buyback! If the dealer isn't FORCED to lemon it, then it won't appear on a title. The VIN service/warranty records from Acura are much more complete as to service. Certainly BOTH will tell a better picture.

BTW, I didn't think car fax could capture 'rolled over' or 'major accident' unless it caused a modification to the title. (And even then, some states don't require the same title addendums as others...)

Caveat Emptor.

Ard

·
Registered
616 Posts
ardvarkus said:

BTW, I didn't think car fax could capture 'rolled over' or 'major accident' unless it caused a modification to the title.

Ard
Ard,

I am sure it varies state by state but many DO report accidents (my guess is those reported through state or local police). I have personally seen several CarFax's listing even minor accidents.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
donsev said:

Ard,

I am sure it varies state by state but many DO report accidents (my guess is those reported through state or local police). I have personally seen several CarFax's listing even minor accidents.
I did NOT know that. I just read they carfax uses a few databases, so I could see that they might find a lot of stuff that gets stored away by VIN, not just title! (Insurance maybe?, but I can see police as being public access ...)

Thanks

Ard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts