Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 MDX with a strange problem. When I'm driving, sometimes the charging system indicator light will flash on the dashboard. To investigate this, I purchased a battery / alternator testing tool from Harbor Freight. While driving, I see that the alternator lights drop off entirely at times (usually at lower speeds, often when in a parking lot where you are sort of coasting). I suspect the diagnostic tool is accurate as the charging system light has come on at least a couple of times when the alternator lights were out and never the other way around. Also, I have an OBDII Wi-Fi adapter that reads voltage and have confirmed the voltage drops from ~13.9/14 to ~12.6. Strangely enough, using something "electrical" can get the alternator voltage showing again. Things like turn signals or turning the headlights on again will almost always get the voltage back up to normal, though when you stop using them it drops again. I also tested inside electrical systems (map light, radio) and these did not affect the problem.

One piece of history: The alternator was whining terribly a couple of months ago (confirmed w/stethoscope), so I had it rebuilt at a local shop. Last night I double-checked / re-seated `the electrical connections to the alternator and they seemed fine.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Usually the first thing to start with is the last thing that was done. Assuming it's under warranty for not charging (since they just replaced the bearing) I'd bring the alternator back to the shop that rebuilt it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts