Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 with 137K miles. I am the second owner for the last ~40K miles. Lately, I've been getting concerned about my alternator and starter. If they fail during the summer months, I have other options but now that we're heading into winter, I'll have issues. What I am wonder is how long (miles) do the OE alternators and starters normally last. I understand that there are multiple variables in play but what are most people getting out of them? I am lucky that I have a trusted rebuilding shop about 20 miles away that I've used for other vehicles and would likely just have mine rebuilt. Is it getting toward the time that I should do this as a precautionary measure? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
IMO, changing parts (w/ exceptions of timing belt and spark plugs) based on age/mileage is more likely to introduce problems where none exists. Alternators and starters usually give an indication of problems before failing completely in any case.

good luck

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
As a reference, I have about the same mileage as you on an 08 and have no worries about either component. I had 180k on the 03 and neither of these components were replaced. The starter was greased because of the screech but the components were still the originals.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i believe there were two OE manufacturers. the densos are suppose to be bullet proof, the other, not so much

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
My OE Denso Alternator in my TL-S has 220K
My MDX has 103K on the OE Alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts