Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 MDX had been sitting for a couple of months and wouldn't turn over after a 20 minute jump. So I replaced the battery. Still wouldn't start but got some noise. I did a long jump and it almost turned over. I tried a few more times but then I saw some whitish smoke rising out of the from of the engine near the front. I couldn't quite locate the where. Is the most likely cause the alternator? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well if it was your alternator you only need stick your head down by it and you should smell an electrical burnt smell. It may have been exhaust blowing through the front manifold /gasket.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not saying you did this but for the jump, if you think you hooked the jumper cables reversed, you could have smoked your battery and/or alternator. Hopefully, just blew a fuse. Search the forum or net with something like, jumped battery connected wrong or reversed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you think the battery and/or alternator is damaged, you could remove the battery and take it to an auto parts store for testing. Same for the alternator if the battery tests good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is fine and has been tested. Cables were fine. I guess the alternator is the only remaining likey scenario. Thanks

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'd have to guess the alternator is fried, too. If a "long jump" to a good battery isn't enough to get the engine to turn over normally, something is "eating" the voltage coming in through the jumpers. There's really nothing other than the alternator that's hooked up in a robust enough manner to draw that kind of power... other than the starter, but unless the "Bendix" is stuck engaged (which would have the starter motor engaged), it's not going to draw any power with the key off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts