Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues the last 2 weeks with 2005 mdx battery draining. First it was a couple of days, then it was overnight. I disconnected the hands-free module, but it didn't help. Now something is shorted out - The battery charger will not charge when the battery is hooked up, but charges fine when it's disconnected from the car (the battery was new as of nov 2019). I'm thinking it's the alternator? I'm at 250K miles, and it's the original.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, that was it. and it crapped out at almost exact same mileage as a 2001 mdx i had in the past. very easy replacement - thank you acura engineers. 1 hr job

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For future reference, when your symptom is that the battery won't charge when connected to the car, but will out of the car - you can bet that there's a high-current short somewhere. And 9 times out of 10, you can find that short by simply looking for the part / cable / etc. that's getting really hot. If something is eating that much current, it's GOT to be converting it into heat, and that can help you with the troubleshooting. If you would have put your hand on the alternator with the charger hooked up (assuming it was more than a trickle charger), it would have been unusually warm to the touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts