Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery sign came on yesterday, this morning my wife used it to the grocery and when she came back i checked it. while it was idling there was a humming noise. when i turned off the engine and opened the hood, i smelled something burning and i was a smoke which looks like coming form the alternator. I waited till it cooled off and when i tried to start it, battery was dead. Is is safe to jump start it? (A/C was off all of the time)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Might be a bearing failure..
Your best bet would be to Remove the Alternator Belt so you can start the engine without the alternator spinning and move the car as much as the battery charge allows, Keep everything off, Radio, A/C, Seat Heater everything that might discharge the battery quicker and you will be fine.

If you cant remove the Alternator Belt then its not advisable to keep moving it, The Alternator can catch fire.. Better get it Towed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I cant remove the alternator. I will try to have it towed then to a nearby honda dealer. Which bearing are you referring?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The alternator has 2 bearings one front and a rear, the rear is the usual culprit.
FYI: The belt tensioner remover tool can be rented at Autozone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts