Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Alternative to the MDX - the 2014 Toyota Highlander

41K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  ATCRich 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been a member of this forum for quite sometimes now and have been on here quite often so I've read what issues some of you ran into. I almost bought the Advance model but the dealer called it off. I finally decided to purchase the 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited version. I'm here just to list out some of the functions that seem to concern and upset some of you MDX owners. I'm not here to bash the MDX in anyway but just to inform some who might still be on the fence of what to buy or decided they just have enough of the MDX.

- Infotainment system is quite responsive compare to the MDX
- Hard buttons for cool/heat seats control. Taking directly from the Lexus
- Captain chairs in 2nd row
- Engine is carryover from previous generation so it's better for the most part
- To me the interior, especially the dash area is much nicer than MDX and feels more luxurious to me
- Backup camera is very bright at night time. I remember quite a few people complained about this on the MDX
- Brand new style. MDX looks very much like previous generation which is 7-8 years old? Though I do like the MDX style more, but it feels very outdated
- I can wear my polarized sunglasses and have no problem seeing the infotainment screen
- There's air vent for 3rd row
- Fog lights are standard
- The best part is I saved almost 20k over the Advanced model

See less See more
#2 ·
was in the same boat

Congrats on your purchase. I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks back and ended up purchasing the MDX (FWD)with the Tech package which is at approx the same price point as the Highlander limited FWD.

I drove both the vehicles on the same day with my family ( drove the highlander first) and decision to go with MDX was almost unanimous !

I also wanted a vehicle with cooled seats, adaptive cruise control and parking sensors all of which were absent in the MDX with Tech package,however the performance(acceleration) , plush(quite) ride and handling were important factors for me on all of which the highlander couldn't match up to the MDX.

For me the other let downs in the highlander were

1) Captains seats in the second row where I really needed a bench
2) Brand experience Acura over Toyota
3) Tighter 3rd row especially for the middle passenger who would have difficulty spreading legs due to a bump between 2nd row captains seats
4) Lower luggage vol behind 3rd row.

Both are good vehicles no doubt and appeal to different set of buyers.

~A

#3 ·
I traded a Highlander Hybrid Limited in for an advanced. The Highlander was a bit less costly (when it was new) over the Acura, but did not have as many luxury features. A LOT of friends liked my Highlander better than the new Acura. I agree with many of your comments and wanted to add a few others.

1. The Highlander never had to go into the shop except for oil changes or tires. Never. I did not even take in for their silly floor mat recalls. My Acura is in the shop as I write this.

2. The Highlander HVAC was great with multiple condensers meant it cooled all three rows extremely well. This is in stark contrast to the single condenser in the Acura that others complain does not heat/cool as well.

3. The Highlander (at least the year I had) was missing a LOT of features that should have been present given the cost. The Acura had these features, plus a lot others and that is why I bought it:

* Memory Seats
* AC Ventilated Seats
* Electric Tilt Telescopic column
* Being able to lock and unlock the doors using the rear door handles.
* Auto window up on all four windows.
* Auto Dim on all three mirrors
* ACC
* The remote start works as one would expect on the Acura, unlike the Toyota which was very quirky.

4. The mileage of my HH was very close to the MDX which is pretty impressive for Acura given that the HH was a Hybrid and the Acura a gas engine.

5. There are quite a few things I miss from my HH:

* The HH had a REAL full size spare tire, and the spare had a TPMS built in. The Acura FWD does not even come with a spare.
* I loved the handles near the hatch in the rear that allowed one to remotely fold the middle row of seat when you needed extra cargo space loading something big in from the hatch.

As I said before, the major dissatisfier for me was that Acura should equip the MDX with fog lights and a spare and folding power mirrors as standard. What would that add, $300-$400 to the price of the car when done on the assembly line?

#4 ·
Flame Red

The 2014 HL is totally different than previous generations. It's much more upscale and high tech. I do like the ride on the MDX more, but the HL has plenty of power. The top of the line non hybrid HL is price about the same as the base MDX with features equivalent to Advance model. To me Acura is not a luxury vehicle brand. It's more a between Toyota and Lexus. A few things I forgot to include
- HL does not require premium gasoline
- For people with two kids or more, there's no way to get to 3rd row on the X with baby carseats installed in 2nd row. You can squeeze through between the captain chairs in HL.
- The entertainment system can play Blu-ray discs instead of just regular DVDs
- And for those that are in love with the LED strip lights(not me). It came standard on my model.
- The wood trim looks like real wood, better than the X. Don't know if it's real or not.
- It got better color options and combinations

#6 ·
I just bought a '14 Highlander XLE for an employee last week. She picked it out and I didn't even see it until she drove it into the office. I was quite impressed with the interior and can certainly see this being a great option for buyer. We had shopped a Highlander a few years back and the new one appears to have a lot more room. The big neg on the previous model was the absolutely useless cargo space with the 3rd row. The new one appears better than the MDX in that regard.

#7 ·
I've owned two Highlanders and three MDX's, and both are great vehicles. However, I have to disagree when you say Acura is not a luxury brand. That's crazy! I personally don't care for the styling inside or outside of the new Highlander, and in driving both, agree that there's no comparison. I pick up my new MDX this week. That being said, again, I think both are fine vehicles, and they just appeal to different types of buyers. Enjoy!!

#26 ·
I would have to agree that Acura is considered a Premium brand but certainly not a Luxury brand. With that said, it doesn't take anything away from the quality, workmanship, reliability, and stellar resale value Acura has to offer. I've owned 4 Acuras and they were all solid as a rock!

#8 ·
Historically, I've never looked at Acura as a luxury brand either. I always considered it Honda's sport/luxury cousin. I think they're clearly trying to raise the bar as their vehicles move closer to typical "luxury-ish" vehicles...more features, quieter, better ride, etc. But they're still just marginally breaking into that category. The MDX is a great vehicle but it's not the vault-like environment of many other vehicles and frankly that's to be expected as the entry-price is quite a bit lower. There are Jeeps and GMC's priced in the same ballpark as the MDX.

Honestly, one of the things I like about having Acuras is that most people DON'T tend to look at them as a true luxury brand. I've had comments from clients when I owned MB, BMW, Lexus...but never heard a peep from anyone when I was in an Acura. It just doesn't come across as pretentious at all and I like that.

#10 ·
The highlander would compare to the Honda Pilot or Nissan Pathfinder. The MDX would compare to the Lexus RX or GX series or the QX60. I must say that I was also impressed with the interior look of the highlander. For its price point, the highlander is a nice ride though my preference would have been the Pathfinder.

#18 ·
I appreciate this thread a lot but it leaves me with a feeling of frustration as I enter the market to replace my (still going strong) 2003 MDX. I, like many of you, love the size and handling, and moderate utility of the MDX in all 3 gens. I certainly will check out the new MDX, but I will wait until at least the 2nd year of the new gen to see if some of the bugs discussed here might be worked out...one can hope...right? I'm also waiting patiently for the new Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 to see if there is legit competition to be had in the mid sized, 3 row SUV, luxury, semi luxury segment.

#20 ·
I am still upset that I will have to wade through FWD MDX's when I start looking at used ones in 4-5 years. I think they diluted the brand with them.

#21 ·
I decided I couldn't wait for the Canadian release of the Highlander (Feb 2014) so went ahead and purchased a 2014 MDX (AWD Navi).

Drove the Highlander after it was available. I LIKE the way the Highlander feels on the road, BUT everything about the MDX feels 1-class nicer.....

And for only about $5k difference, I am happy to have the premium feel of the Acura vs. what Toyota fit and finish is like.

But compared to EVERY OTHER 3 row CUV/SUV on the market for similar money (Sante Fe, Pathfinder, Durango, Pilot, QX60) I like the Highlander better.

Overall I'd rate the Highlander an excellent 2nd choice.

#30 ·
You might be right about your previous gen highlanders, but the newly redesigned 2014 is a whole lot better. So it's not comparing apples and oranges. Here is another article I just read

Head-to-Head Review: 2014 Toyota Highlander versus 2014 Acura MDX - NY Daily News

Head-to-Head Review: 2014 Toyota Highlander versus 2014 Acura MDX
Here, we have two freshly redesigned, seven-passenger SUVs—one from the technophile Acura brand, and the other from workaday Toyota. With an as-tested price difference of roughly $12,000, how close could these fancy family SUVs really be? Is a luxury badge worth a premium price, or does Toyota manage an unexpected victory?

BY STEVE SILER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

MONDAY, MARCH 17, 2014, 3:26 PM

TOYOTA
The 2014 Toyota Highlander is brand new. But does this mainstream crossover have what it takes to unseat a highly-regarded rival wearing a luxury badge?

Neither

2014 Acura MDX

2014 Toyota Highlander

These days, a luxury experience doesn’t always come with a luxury badge. This applies to everything from cars and clothes, to hotels and restaurants. This is good news for the masses, but it also puts heat on luxury brands to build extra value into products. Otherwise, all you’re really getting is a fancy badge.

So what happens when Acura gently revises the redesigned MDX crossover while Toyota pulls out the stops redesigning its Highlander? You get two vehicles that are surprisingly close to each other, except in price.

ACURA
The 2014 Acura MDX has been given an updated exterior. It's attractive, though we think the Toyota Highlander has a bolder overall look to it.

On the outside, the Acura and Highlander look very different. The Acura’s design is all-new, but it looks similar to last year’s model, though with the edges smoothed over. To tell it from the 2013 MDX, you have to know what to look for – if you see a thin row of LED headlamps or horizontal, light-pipe tail lamps, you’re looking at the 2014 model. From a design standpoint, Acura played it safe.

TOYOTA
The 2014 Highlander's price ranges from $30,000 for the basic LE trim level, to $42,000 for the Highlander Limited model (hybrid-powered Highlanders can crest the $50-grand barrier, however).

The 2014 Toyota Highlander, on the other hand, is virtually unrecognizable as a Highlander. And that, as Martha Stewart might say, is a good thing. The last model’s dowdy styling is replaced by square-jawed good looks, with its 2.7-inch longer body creating more room inside. The tall front end has a bold grille, giving a semblance of big-rig authority.

ACURA
The base Acura MDX starts at around $42,000, or roughly where the non-hybrid Highlander models top out. A fully-loaded MDX, with the Advance and Entertainment option packages, costs approximately $56,000.

The overall look is elegant and impressive, especially for the normally quite conservative Toyota brand. For exterior design, the handsome Highlander wins.

Like the lobby of a high-end hotel chain – think W or Andaz – the interior of the Acura MDX is overtly modern. There are crisp metallic surfaces, understated wood inserts on the dash and doors, and a space-age, multi-screen dash certain to appeal to gadget fans. Thing is, like the outside, there’s little that feels massively different about the new one versus last year’s model.

ACURA
The Acura MDX features a split-screen layout in the center of its dashboard.

The Highlander’s interior, while more low-key, is similarly fresh and contemporary. The Highlander boasts tons of storage space, including a broad shelf running the length of the dashboard, from the steering column to the passenger door. This is perfect for stashing cell phones, pens, tissues, gum, or whatever else you like to stuff inside your vehicle. Both trucks came with padded and top-stitched interior surfaces and unexpected (on the Toyota, anyway) rear door sunshades for an extra layer of privacy.

TOYOTA
The 2014 Toyota Highlander cabin is clean and functional. We love the extra long storage compartment that runs along the bottom of the dash.

The MDX (with the Advance package) really shines in seat comfort, however. Covered in super-soft leather, the MDX’s front seats are fabulous. In comparison, the Highlander’s perforated leather seats—heated and cooled as they may be—feel hard and flat. Our Highlander featured second-row captain’s chairs versus the MDX’s bench seat, making it easier for little ones to climb back into the third row.

ACURA
The rear seat in the 2014 Acura MDX offers room for two.

Both vehicles are skimpy on knee-room in the far back, but the Toyota can technically seat three versus the Acura’s two, meaning that if you ordered the second-row bench, the Highlander holds up to eight people. The cabin battle goes to Toyota, by a hair.

As tested, there’s not much daylight between the Highlander Limited with the Driver Assistance package and the MDX in terms of safety and interior technology; both feature the latest connectivity systems and mobile app syncing. Acura’s optional Rear Seat Entertainment package includes an excellent surround sound audio system, and extra-wide 16.2-inch rear seat entertainment screen.

TOYOTA
The 2014 Toyota Highlander offers space for three (small) passengers in its third row.

The Highlander also arrived with rear seat entertainment, with a smaller 9-inch drop-down screen. The Acura and Toyota were equipped with rearview cameras, pre-collision braking, emergency notification systems, radar-based adaptive cruise control, and blind spot and lane departure warning systems. The Acura also brought standard LED headlamps and lane keeping system that keeps the vehicle from drifting out of its intended lane. When the tech is tallied, the Acura comes out slightly ahead.

ACURA
In terms of polished driving behavior, the 2014 Acura MDX easily comes out ahead.

In addition to being slightly lighter in weight, the 290-horsepower MDX is more powerful than the Highlander, and surprisingly, more fuel efficient on the highway. Brakes and body control are also quite mannerly for a seven-passenger crossover, and the steering is more direct. If you were ever to take the MDX on a track (and let’s face it, 99.9% of buyers won’t), the torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive MDX would shock you with its dexterity.

TOYOTA
The Highlander is available with a 2.7-liter 4-cylinder, or optional 3.5-liter V-6 engine. Customers can also choose between front and all-wheel-drive.

The Highlander is hardly a wimp when equipped with its optional 270-hp V-6 engine. Unfortunately, the engine emits a drone at around 2,000 rpm, which tends to be right where the revs fall during gearshifts. The steering is also numb by comparison to the Acura.

In normal driving circumstances, these vehicles are roughly as good as each other. But when you’ve gotta get a move on, you’ll want the MDX.

TOYOTA
It doesn't have a glamorous badge, but the 2014 Toyota Highlander is big on luxury (and value).

RELATED: SLEEK AND EFFICIENT: 2015 ACURA TLX SHOWN OFF AT DETROIT AUTO SHOW

The Winner: 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited

The big story here is not that one of these cushy crossovers is vastly superior to the other; indeed, that they’re so close is what’s remarkable! Both are very nice looking, and each of them holds lots of people and things. They’re also remarkably well-mannered on city streets or on the open highway. With than in mind, however, the Highlander seems like an MDX with $12-grand on the hood.

The Acura MDX is very good, but that level of cash savings goes a long way for most of us. Despite the mainstream badge, the 2014 Toyota Highlander scores a high-content and high-value win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.