Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Alternative to the 2015 MDX?

11K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  msu79gt82 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 MDX. I want to get a new vehicle because I would like lane keep, 360 camera, active cruise control, etc.

The 2015 MDX is not doing it for me. This vehicle is lower and narrower than my 2011. They put narrower tires on it and got rid of the dual exhaust. The soccer mom'ed this car and made it more of a cross over vehicle. Plus, in this day and age, why only a 6 speed transmission?

If you were to sell your 2014/201t MDX today, what SUV would you get? I wonder what the new Pilot would be like?

#5 ·
I am in the same predicament.The 2015 is a no go for me from a 2011 advance.The wonky styling and the headaches the 2015 brings along don't make it a very attractive buy for my needs. The alternatives I am considering are the 2015 Touareg[smaller for sure but rides and pulls like a champ,Terrific diesel engine too] and the Highlander for now.Unfortunately there aren't much available choices out there.Don't expect any better styling from the New pilot.Looking at the spy pics it looks like the new Pilot is going in the same direction as the MDX, lower,narrower and longer[aka jacked up minivan look].

If the Highlander had a better AWD system I would be on it.Touareg is a VW but its reliability seems to be better than the new MDX.That engine is awesome though .It consistently gives 29-30mpg and pulls like a bull.I am just thinking of buying a Rear hitch cargo carrier[which can increase my cargo carrying capacity in those rare occasions] with it as I rarely need the 3rd row[ used the 3rd row seats once in the last 4 years on my MDX].My necessity for a 3 row seat SUV is only to use the extra cargo space behind the 2nd row.Let us know what you decide on .

#6 ·
I was a little disappointed when the +2014 MDX models didn't have a more sporty option like the 07-13 MDX with the sport/Adv models.

Have you thought about upgrading to a 2011-2013 MDX Adv model? You will get some extra tech over the tech model such as:
- ACC
- BSI
- CMBS
- ADS
- cooled seats
- auto adjusting HIDs
- thicker front/rear stabilizer bar
- larger tires
- ADS that assist in braking to limit nose dive (not sure about acceleration squat or keeping the MDX level on curves)

I've heard rumors the MDX MMC will have the V-6 TLX 9-speed transmission, updated tech, heads up display, and Adv package without Ent. Not sure if this is for all models or just sh-awd and/or Adv models. A 2011-2013 MDX Adv might fill the tech gap until the 2017 MDX MMC is ready.

#23 ·
We strongly considered the QX60, but the spouse thought it was too minivanish. We decided on the new 3rd Gen Murano - offers all your bells and whistles wants but definitely a crossover.

#8 ·
I have read some good things about the new Volvo XC90 coming. I plan on looking hard at a Cayenne when the time comes to replace the 11 Advance.

#9 ·
In my opinion, the MDX is the best vehicle in it's class regarding features, performance and handling. The X5, Q7, Cayenne cost a lot more than the MDX. The Q7 is the closest in price but is an overweight pig and is really old. The new Q7 should be a winner if it ever gets released.

From a pure styling stand point, I like the Grand Cherokee, however I've never driven to see how it handles. The need for a 3rd plays a big role in many buyers decisions in this class.

#12 ·
A 5.7L Dodge Durango R/T would be my 1st choice for a replacement for my MDX right now.:29:

#11 ·
The new Volvo looks terrific on paper. One might want to wait a year after it comes out, though. More than just a new gen, it's a new company - or old company with a new owner. In any case, a huge leap from a old model we disliked even when is was fresh and new back in 2004.

#18 ·
I don't know why you're concerned about the non-dual exhaust and tire width unless you're just concerned about the 'look' of it. The fact is that the third gen MDX handles great for a vehicle of this size/type and accelerates well and this has been proven objectively on the track - it apparently outperforms the previous gen in these areas. Is your issue with these due to concerns about actual impacts on the vehicle driving experience or just the 'looks'?

IMO the transmission on it is great. It shifts very smoothly and at the appropriate points and the vehicle manages to achieve a high fuel mileage figure for this type of vehicle. Is your concern with this because you think it's a big impact on performance or is it just about the 'numbers game' of being able to say it has more speeds? Regardless, the trend among manufacturers and Acura is to more speeds so I wouldn't be surprised if Acura ends up putting a tranny with more speeds in the MDX at some point. Note - I always keep the IDS in 'Sport' mode - the feel would be different in the other modes but it's up to the driver to decide which mode they want.

I'm not a serial Honda/Acura owner, this is my first product by them, and I evaluated everything on the market for the attributes I was looking for. One of those attributes was a 3 row SUV so that narrowed the field quite a bit. I also wanted something with good acceleration and handling for this type of vehicle and that narrowed the field further. I didn't want a giant vehicle (like a burban or expedition) so that also narrowed the field. For me the 14 MDX was the winner after evaluating everything and if I was to do it over again right now I'd buy it again. When I look for a replacement for it down the road a number of years I'll do a re-evaluation of the available vehicles at that time.

For me -
X5 - third row seat is almost unusable, don't like the run flat tires/no spare, price is higher than it s/b for what it is, doesn't have the best reliability record.

Infiniti JX (and Q..)/Nissan Pathfinder - too lumbering and under-powered (i.e. contrary to a couple of my main attributes I was looking for of handling/power), don't want a CVT tranny plus the CVTs don't have a great reliability record. I was looking forward to the release of the JX and seriously thought it might be one to consider until it actually came out and the details were revealed.

Mercedes 3 seater -too expensive to consider since it's more than I think the vehicle's worth regardless of my ability to pay for it. It's also too big and Mercedes' reliability record on at least some of their SUVs isn't good (don't know about this one - I discounted it regardless of the reliability).

Highlander (previous gen) - soccer mom epitomized. It may be a fine vehicle but it doesn't appeal to me in styling and the handling/power aren't as good as the MDX. If I was looking for a new vehicle now I'd have to re-evaluate the Highlander since it recently changed.

Dodge Durango - Probably one of the biggest contenders for me. I actually have a 1998 Durango with 225K miles on it that I think has been a good vehicle. The new ones are, of course, a completely different vehicle than the one I have. The new ones can be had feature rich and with decent power. A potential downside is that Chrysler has been bouncing around with ownership and this can sometimes be a problem to an owner. Fiat doesn't have the greatest reputation for reliability and I don't know how that might end up causing issues with the Durango even though this Durango design was done when it was Daimler Chrysler. Even though the Durango lines up against the MDX reasonably well I think the MDX trumps it in many areas including how the MDX appeals to my eye. The Durango doesn't necessarily hold its resale value as well as the MDX either - something to think about when you look at cost of ownership.

There's a reason so many different vehicles of a similar type are made - we all tend to have our own things we're looking for and even our own subjective opinions of what appeals to our eyes. It's an individual choice. Whatever works best for me may not work best for you.

There are newly designed vehicles coming out all the time so whatever decision I made a year ago could be different if I were looking a year from now for example.

btw - on the topic of 'mini-vanish' and 'looks', the roof rack on the 14 MDX makes the vehicle appear taller and lean more towards SUV than mini-van than one without it appears. I felt it was noticeable on mine after I added the roof rack rails and crossbars (which I actually did for utility purposes but I also like the looks of it). You might want to compare a roof rack equipped one next to a non-equipped one and see what you think if this 'look' is an issue for you.

#19 ·
My pick is the ML350. I don't need the third row and can customize to the option I want. For me it has the best fit, form and function for what I am looking for. I recognize it will cost more including maitenance but I will probably not own it out of warranty. Honestly the new MDX is a near miss for me and I have been reading too many negative posts here. I know many ML owners who have had good luck with their Mercedes. I have been in my MDX for 12+ years so when it is time to replace her I will change brands just for a change. I will also look at the x5 but I am not sure I want the run flats.

#20 ·
As a 2014 MDX owner, I'd consider...

1. Lexus GX (price dropped last year)
2. Jeep Grand Cherokee (if I leased; long-term reliability is terrible)
3. BMW X5 (RWD/2WD optioned carefully)
4. 2016 Volvo XC90 (if I could wait until Spring)

I would NOT consider the Highlander or Ford Explorer (the revised 2016 Platinum now tops out over $53k).

#21 ·
I am in the same situation, with about 7 more months to decide.

I owned 3 MDXs (2001, 2005, 2012), and I dislike 2014-2015 gutless looks, plus I'm tired of bringing a supposedly luxury vehicle to be serviced by a less-than-sub-par local Acura dealership.

My list is also quite short, and so far includes only Germans (X5/GL450/Q7), but I am also really interested in a new Volvo XC90. Problem is all tip the scales at over 60K when configured to my liking (including XC90).

Decisions, decisions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvdCcBUOhw

#22 ·
I was in a similar situation to OP. I only owned Acuras in my past 20 years. Acura Integra GSR, Acura TLS and the MDX. For the first time, I did make the switch to Audi Q7 a few weeks ago. I was spending too much on the maintenance of MDX.

So far, Q7 has been great. In some categories it's not MDX. But overall, it drives well. Yes it's a bit overweight and heavy and a bit dated. None of that has bothered me.

Audi is redesigning Q7 next year and shedding some weight. That may be a better option if you can wait.

I am still going strong on my 2007 TLS with 150k and counting. Have no issues with it.

I do feel Acura is losing their selling power with the recent mishaps including MDX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.