Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a problem today with my 2014 MDX- all warning lights came on- error message saying emission problem, forward collision warning problem, power steering problem, etc (scrolling through on the dash display).

I saw others having the same issue and wanted to see if anyone knows the cause?

I am 8 hours from home and it is Sunday. I am planning on taking it to the nearest dealer tomorrow but I want to be able to prompt them when I call. Please help!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the same problem about 5 odd months ago. I took it to the dealership after it occurred a second time. It was noted that the shifter (gear lever) missed a contact with some odd electrical connector and that was what was triggering the message or electrical (problem). It was adjusted and it has not come again. So I think Acura is aware of it. but there are no bulletins and no lasting fixes. It helped that I took a video and photographs of the problem when it struck a second time. There is a fix for the problem in this forum if you conduct a search. It had to do with turning it off and going in the on ignition position and yadi yada. Please do a search. I hope I was helpful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My friend had the same problem on his 2016 model. He noted it occurred when the outside temperature was high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback. I took my MDX to Harper Acura in TN. They ran a diagnostic on my vehicle and found that I had a recall that needed fixed (I believe it was the problem that nozoo posted) and three software updates. Harper Acura took me right away, fixed the problem with in an hour and didn't charge me a dime for their service. Thank you Haprer Acura for your great service. I drove it back to my home state, 550 miles with out any issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have details on the fix for this please ? I see a couple of posts regarding a loose connector near the gear shifter but nobody has confirmed that it was cured

Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had the all warning lights issues (aka) christmas light issue on my 2015 a few months back.

Aside from the warning lights the car drove like it always have, it never locked up and it always started. I did some research and most seem to have happened when it was cold out and they had some battery glitch and in the cases where it was resolved it was brought to the dealer and it was given back without much information on what fixed it.

I asked my wife about the situation on when she got the warnings and how the car started, she recalled that the day before the car struggled to start, she said it sounded like the battery was dead but then it started. It was cold out, 15 degrees! The next day she tried starting the car and it struggled again but a bit longer than the previous day and when it started the warning lights appeared.

That lead me to believe it was a battery connection glitch as there is no way all those issues all went at once. I have a buddy that sells Honda / Acura's for a living and he told me to just reset the codes and get a new battery. I went into the diagnostics (developer) mode and reset the codes and on the next start the warnings disappeared.

I got a new battery and have not had the issue since.

I am out of Warranty on my 2015 so I try and test things out as I go. If I was still under warranty I would be at acura.

I don’t know if this will work for everyone but for me it all added up to a battery glitch and with a lack of information on what fixed it from other people dropping it off at dealers and my Acura buddy telling me to just reset the codes and get new battery it was worth a shot for me and so far so good. I did need a new battery as it was about that time anyway so more “evidence”’pointing that direction.

I tend to think when there are these oddball issues dealers will opt to keep your car and do unecessary work to rack up warranty billing - they still get paid for warranty work. It does seem some dealers know what to do and I assume they reset the code and tell the customers you are all good to go without much information or the usual - “we cannot reproduce it but if it comes back bring it back in.”

1 - 7 of 7 Posts