Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 MDX w/tech. 140k miles

Just did-

Timing belt (its been done once already, didnt know until i took it apart)
Lower control arms (came with balljoints and bushings)
Struts and shocks
Inner and outer tie rods
Sway bar links and bushings (front and rear)
Tranny fluid change
Oil fluid change
Transfer case fluid change
Rear diff fluid change
New tires (cooper evolution ht) all around
Low beam bulbs (dtm tuning)

nearly 2k in parts! Saved over 2k at least in labor by doing it myself. it drives like a dream now. Not much more I could do to this thing if i wanted... everything is in top shape. No rust underneath either, and i just sprayed it with wax so its full ready for winter. love this truck!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

Just did-

Struts and shocks
Inner and outer tie rods
Tranny fluid change
Oil fluid change
Rear diff fluid change

nearly 2k in parts! Saved over 2k at least in labor by doing it myself. it drives like a dream now. Not much more I could do to this thing if i wanted... everything is in top shape. No rust underneath either, and i just sprayed it with wax so its full ready for winter. love this truck!

Replaced with ALL OE parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll be interested in knowing how you like the Coopers, especially after they have several thousand miles on them. I had a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires on a Nissan Murano and loved them. While I don't currently need tires, I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be interested in knowing how you like the Coopers, especially after they have several thousand miles on them. I had a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires on a Nissan Murano and loved them. While I don't currently need tires, I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the OEM Michelins.
Cooper's are always awesome. I've installed many. They are very quiet on my mdx, and the grip is great.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts

Just did-

Struts and shocks
Inner and outer tie rods
Tranny fluid change
Oil fluid change
Rear diff fluid change

I did theses as well on my 2007 MDX. Speaking of which, I have an extra set of control arms due to their order mix up.
Timing belt (2nd time due to head gasket replacement)
Struts and shocks
Inner and outer tie rods
Tranny fluid change
Oil fluid change
Rear diff fluid change
Radiator
Altenator
PCV valve
Removed Bluetooth
Michelin LTX Definders
4 motor mounts
170k miles

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did those Cooper CS5 tires get very noisy, after 35,000 miles?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did those Cooper CS5 tires get very noisy, after 35,000 miles?
Not at all. I had an alignment done when they were installed and rotated them at about every 7,500 miles. They still looked like they were almost new. I was a little disappointed that Cooper doesn't make the CS5 in a size that fits our MDXs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This man is a hero! Killer job man, you’re good for another 100k on that belt, and the rest - man I’m envious :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am wary of moog ball joints. The lowers for the 7g accord are notorious for creeking at low temps even when still new (and greased). I know they make good parts, but ever since this happened to my Accord I’ve been skeptical.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't be afraid! It's not that hard and the difference is amazing.

I’d have to clear some space in my garage first. I recently did all the bushings, new oem assembled shocks, brakes, lines, and exhaust repair on my wife’s Element and the seized bolts were the hardest part. I’d have to take it nice and easy on the MDX.

I do have to do the front wheel bearings soon though. They’re clunking when turning left or right with moderate load. You’ve got about a thousand miles more than me. These J37’s run great even with high mileage!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’d have to clear some space in my garage first. I recently did all the bushings, new oem assembled shocks, brakes, lines, and exhaust repair on my wife’s Element and the seized bolts were the hardest part. I’d have to take it nice and easy on the MDX.

I do have to do the front wheel bearings soon though. They’re clunking when turning left or right with moderate load. You’ve got about a thousand miles more than me. These J37’s run great even with high mileage!

Wheel bearing clunking when turning? Sounds more like a front axel to me.. both of mine are pretty loose (I can shake them up and down) but they're not making noise yet.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wheel bearing clunking when turning? Sounds more like a front axel to me.. both of mine are pretty loose (I can shake them up and down) but they're not making noise yet.

I agree, that is more of outer CV joints in front axles

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree, that is more of outer CV joints in front axles

It doesn’t make the noise when turning slow, even at full lock. Only does it when making a turn with speed/load. Also has a hum/groan between 45 and 55 mph but that may be the tires. Annoying

·
Registered
354 Posts
Can you do the static test of wheel bearing play?

Lift the tire, grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock. Pull 12 toward you while push 6 away from you. Then reverse the force. If you can feel that movement/play, you have a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’ll give that a go. Maybe if the weather holds out I can get it in the air this week. I’m hoping they’re both bad so I can fix them and be done with it. I get these crazy thoughts like they’re causing 10 different noises in the front end lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great work! How do you like the shock/struts? I need to replace mine and figure out whats causing my vibration when stopped/low speed turns in gear

1 - 20 of 35 Posts