Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas about the vehicle being built in canada as opposed to japan- good or bad. in past i actually felt better knowing the vehicle was buily in japan. as an x-mechanic and working on many foreign vehicles found the ones from japan tended in past to be built tighter and a little better any present views. also i noticed that 70% american and only 30% japan. any views. i did notice that the rl is comming from japan wasn't sure why? but did notice alot of honda's are being made in usa now but still the higher end foreign i notice are still made oversea's. any other people have concerns for lasting of the vehicle or it's durability in the long run from being built in canada as opposed to japan any opinions would be greatly appreciated:confused: i just received a 2002 black/ebony tour w/nav all options loaded overall love the vehicle presently and feels like it came from japan but nervious

·
681 Posts
No Problem Here

Hi Paul123,
It's what we in medical research would call anecdotal evidence BUT, for what it's worth, I have put 21,500 miles on my X including some fairly rough off-road travel. So far, I have nary a glitch, problem, squeak or anomaly of any kind. So while we all know that no mechanical device foreign or domestic is perfect - I suspect you can just lay back and enjoy the ride.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
426 Posts
Paul123,
The RL, RSX, and NSX are still being produced in Japan. In 1997 when the TL was being built in Japan the cost was $34,000 dollars, when they started producing them in the U.S.A. the price went down to $28,000. In the past the Japanese product has been a little better in quailty, but now with robots doing much of the work and plant management still being much under the control of Japan standards, they put out a pretty darn good product. A while back I was reading somewhere that warranty work was somewhere about 33% across the board and Acura was at 12 or 13%.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's the engineering.

I don't think there is realy a difference where the car is built, but where it is engineered. I have read a few auto industry reports that says that the american plants are putting out top quality assembled cars, both US and foriegn brands. The problem with quality is now pointing more and more to engineering. If a vehicle is poorly engineered it doesn't matter who puts it together. I think you are in good shape.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 14000 miles on my D E Pearl

01 MDX. So far, and to my delight, I have had NOT one, I repeat, NOT one warranty isue to go back to Acura with. In fact, I let the right overhead light on in the interior last night and this morning the X cranked up without hesitation...I couldn't believe it.

I think the MDX is the best vehicle I have ever owned...period.

Enjoy :D :D :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Speaking with somebody that worked at an acura dealership, the first year they received an american made acura the difference was striking, specially the bigger, uneven gaps between the outside panels, hood, fenders and doors. In his words if the areas that meet the eye are so carelessly put together, how sloppy is the work on those that aren't meant to be seen.

·
Registered
359 Posts
As for me, I'm a pretty finicky owner and since picking up the MDX in July, we have not found one item that needs to be adjusted. I'm not sure on our mirrors in that they passenger's MAY weep, but it's only for a few hours. In fact I just washed it today, and no weeps since. I don't know how mine doesn't do it too long- if at all. Still deciding if I should have the Dealer do the TSB on them. No thuds, all items align, no squeaks.

NO COMPLAINTS:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Redwing - Reply

I purchased my 2001 MDX in December 2000. It will be a year old on 12/14/2001. I have not ever heard a thud, had weeping mirrors, or noticed any excessive wind noise!! I am totally happy with my MDX and I have no complaints as of yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In 1990, bought two new cars... Grand Prix SE (US) and Honda Accord LX (Japan). Friends asked me, "why buy American?" and I defended saying, "Americans invented cars..." At the time, I was very naive (borderline ignorant) and paid the price in that the Grand Prix was at the dealer regularly; I think the longest I went without going to the dealer in the 5 years was 3 months. The Accord had no problems in 5 years...

In 1994, sold both cars and decided to get 2 new cars. This time, I got another Accord LX (made/assembled in the USA now), and Integra LS (Japan). I'm not sure how accurate one person's experience is but there was notable difference in the quality of workmanship. To name a few:
1. Accord Trunk - we would always have to slam it a couple of times to close.
2. Accord -Rear windows seeped a trickle of water after every carwash or rain storm.
3. Accord Driver's side window- after you rolled it down and back up, it would make settling noises untill you hit it (like the Fonz).

In 2001, sold both cars and decided to get the ML320 and MDX. German cars do have a general reputation of quality but a car made/assembled in Canada? Yet because of favorable past experiences with cars made/assembled in Japan, I often wonder if it would have made a difference if the X was made in Japan. For instance:
1. My brake pedal moan whenever I depress or release the brake.
2. The uneven glove compartment.
3. The thuds and taps that I hear but can't pinpoint.
4. Rear headrest moving in/out inside the cargo compartment. I know these are minor issues but being a luxury vehicle, I guess I do expect it to be somewhat flawless. *And by the way, my list for the ML is longer...

My opinion based on past experience is that I would definitely feel better if the MDX was made in Japan.

Just out of curiousity, is there any other car that comes out of Canada other than the Odyssey?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure if any others come out of canada. i appreciate you information on the usa/japan made which probably cnfirms some of my thoughts. i presently hace a 2000 maxima se made in japan and have been over happy with the car amazing tighness and engine amazing. hope the longevity of the mdx will meet or follow my maxima. presently my 2002 mdx tour w/nav seems to br as tightly made and handles as quiet as the maxima. i have noticed already that the maxima idle at all times is as smooth and steady as you can get, but on the mdx it veries very little or sightly. only a car mechanic or car person would know not running rough but very slight variation in idle. i'm assuming the mdx engine may not have been as refined as the 3.0 maxima which has had numerious excellent reviews. i can only hope again that it will follow the maxima's performance. thanks for all your input it was appreciated
proskunetes said:
In 1990, bought two new cars... Grand Prix SE (US) and Honda Accord LX (Japan). Friends asked me, "why buy American?" and I defended saying, "Americans invented cars..." At the time, I was very naive (borderline ignorant) and paid the price in that the Grand Prix was at the dealer regularly; I think the longest I went without going to the dealer in the 5 years was 3 months. The Accord had no problems in 5 years...

In 1994, sold both cars and decided to get 2 new cars. This time, I got another Accord LX (made/assembled in the USA now), and Integra LS (Japan). I'm not sure how accurate one person's experience is but there was notable difference in the quality of workmanship. To name a few:
1. Accord Trunk - we would always have to slam it a couple of times to close.
2. Accord -Rear windows seeped a trickle of water after every carwash or rain storm.
3. Accord Driver's side window- after you rolled it down and back up, it would make settling noises untill you hit it (like the Fonz).

In 2001, sold both cars and decided to get the ML320 and MDX. German cars do have a general reputation of quality but a car made/assembled in Canada? Yet because of favorable past experiences with cars made/assembled in Japan, I often wonder if it would have made a difference if the X was made in Japan. For instance:
1. My brake pedal moan whenever I depress or release the brake.
2. The uneven glove compartment.
3. The thuds and taps that I hear but can't pinpoint.
4. Rear headrest moving in/out inside the cargo compartment. I know these are minor issues but being a luxury vehicle, I guess I do expect it to be somewhat flawless. *And by the way, my list for the ML is longer...

My opinion based on past experience is that I would definitely feel better if the MDX was made in Japan.

Just out of curiousity, is there any other car that comes out of Canada other than the Odyssey?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It's not ALL in the engineering....

Really, the KEY is the PROCESSES!

The japanese do an excellent job engineering their products, and initially, for their most critical items, they rely on Japanese workers and plants to produce. During this phase, it is MUCH more efficient for the feedback (closed loop quality systems) to allow for the optimization of the production process. Once they believe they have 'nailed down' the process, they can transfer it to an 'outside' plant.

And the optimization process is not just how to bolt together parts: it is components, assemblies, inspections, QC procedures, worker training programs, plant maintenance, etc, etc. All these need to be optimized for you to see a high quality auto. The further these processes are from the core-japanese-speaking-developemnt group, the more difficult the optimization process.

The cost savings they reap by building in North America are driven mostly by tariff- there are no import duties on ameircan built product (or Canadian built if they watch the part content). I don't think it is much cheaper to use US workers versus Japanese workers.

Why do you think the Infiniti Q45, the Lexus LS430 & LX470, and the Toyota Landcruiser are all still built in Japan? Quality.

Ard

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ardvarkus

so what is you opinion on the mdx overall comming out of canada what do you rate the quality on a scale of 1-10 being that you have had yours longer than me i only picked up my 2002 tour w/nav last week how do you rate acura's canada plant in your opinion i realize you are like in in the general feeling than still builds a superior product there than over here. thanks for you input greatly appreciated.
ardvarkus said:
It's not ALL in the engineering....

Really, the KEY is the PROCESSES!

The japanese do an excellent job engineering their products, and initially, for their most critical items, they rely on Japanese workers and plants to produce. During this phase, it is MUCH more efficient for the feedback (closed loop quality systems) to allow for the optimization of the production process. Once they believe they have 'nailed down' the process, they can transfer it to an 'outside' plant.

And the optimization process is not just how to bolt together parts: it is components, assemblies, inspections, QC procedures, worker training programs, plant maintenance, etc, etc. All these need to be optimized for you to see a high quality auto. The further these processes are from the core-japanese-speaking-developemnt group, the more difficult the optimization process.

The cost savings they reap by building in North America are driven mostly by tariff- there are no import duties on ameircan built product (or Canadian built if they watch the part content). I don't think it is much cheaper to use US workers versus Japanese workers.

Why do you think the Infiniti Q45, the Lexus LS430 & LX470, and the Toyota Landcruiser are all still built in Japan? Quality.

Ard

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
FWIW I have owned 2 '89 Acura legends (made in Japan) no problems in 7 years.

I also owned 95, 97 & 99 Accords - built in USA - no problems with any of them.

I have had no problems with the MDX (other than mirrors weeping & that was fixed).

Maybe I'm lucky - but US built or Foreign built have had no impact. I believe the product design & factory build process has more to do with quality than what country it's put together.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Not much difference

I have owned more than 20 cars in the past 20 years or so. The two best from a mechanical problem perspective in that period were a 1983 Supra (Japan) and a 1999 Yukon (US). No problems at all with the Supra and only a window rattle on the Yukon. The two worst were my 1982 Honda Accord (Japan) and my 1993 Jeep GC (US). The rest have been a mix of US, German and Japanese vehicles. However, I do agree with Ard about engineering. I believe my Japanese vehicles have been the best engineered but not always the best built. My MDX had to have the thud fixed, the weeping mirrors service, the trim piece above the rear license refastened and the driver seat rail assembly replaced but is still one of the best designed vehicles I have owned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2 cents - let me warn you - many of you won't like this! I don't have enough data to back it up with stats - just my experience.

I believe that if MDX were built in Japan, it will be of a much better quality. As many people pointed out, the design and engineering is the big factor and that is why MDX has turned out to be such a functional product. But the build quality MUST improve. I have had it for only 2 days - my hatch door was not getting locked. It came out of the factory that way. Whatever happened to quality process, Six sigma, ISO 900X etc etc. Not a big problem - but such problems never happened to me in a Nissan or Honda built in Japan!

I love my MDX as is - only wish my dealership will get their act together.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
japan vs usa

i do agree i've had my mdx two weeks and today amolding from the rear door when you step in the suv fell out nothing major i just had to click it back in. i have a 2000 maxima se japan built and nothing ever happened as minor as that from japan built like other mentioned the quality check process before it leaves the plant i believe is better or more accurate check out of japan they seem to make sure every little detail has been checked over and over hope i have no other minor flaws its seems as if all the 2001 problems or tsb have been corrected for the 2002 model. has a few quirks with the navagation system that only required a reboot to fix the quirk in system, but that would of happen whether japan or usa just a quirk with navi computer :D :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
paul123 said:
any ideas about the vehicle being built in canada as opposed to japan- good or bad. in past i actually felt better knowing the vehicle was buily in japan. as an x-mechanic and working on many foreign vehicles found the ones from japan tended in past to be built tighter and a little better any present views...
I heard the same from a repair shop owner friend of mine since he sees all kinds of car coming. From the prospective of Toyota, he said the Camry from the early days are much less problematic than the later American made production cars. I don't know if Canadian made MDX fit that kind of scenario but I hope not since I now own one. This thought process can be kept in mind with Odessey now made in Alabama. :p :p How about considering the reports of the American made Mercedez Benz ML 320's QC problems. Can't argue with facts and past performance.

No offense - America is the inventor of the quality control but the Japanese practice it to the extreme.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ok, it's been a while since I've been around but in that timeframe, I've travelled to Japan a time or two. I suppose everyone knows that "Acura" does not exist in Japan. It is a market tool for High end Honda in America.

As far as I can tell there is no MDX or anything like it in Japan. I'
ve seen a few CRV's and even some funky looking vehicles that are not sold in the states but I have never seen anything resembling an MDX. It does not matter where the vehicle is built. As others have posted, it's all about the engineeering...

·
Registered
339 Posts
dancall said:
... It does not matter where the vehicle is built. As others have posted, it's all about the engineeering...
I agree with your basic point of view but I do believe engineering - the base design which is about how everything works and how they fit together differs from production management which is how to mass produce that product. Good production management cannot make a product better than its original design but a bad production process can cause a wonderful product appear to be poorly made.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUALITY VS QUALITY CONTROL

I BELIEVE THEY ARE BUILT JUST AS GOOD HERE BUT THE QUALITY CONTROL BEFORE LEAVES THE FACTORY MAY BE TIGHTER OR MORE DETAILED IN JAPAN:confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
Pauls MDX
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing