Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After leaving my car (2013 MDX, Tech package) parked outside (cold and wet weather) for an extended period of time while on vacation, I came back to discover that the alarm confirmation beep is no longer beeping.

I'm referring to the beep that confirms that the alarm was been armed. One press on the remote to lock and another to arm the alarm. But I'm no longer getting that confirmation beep.

And yes, the setting for the alarm acknowledgement is currently (and was always) set to beep when the alarm is set.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You will need to check every Door Close Switch (They are on the chassis side and are pressed when the door is closed) a good give away is that the dome lights wont go off if you close the door.
Next is to check the Hood Switch, Which by all my Honda & Acura Experience is the main culprit for Alarm Related issues.

Try those and comeback with results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will need to check every Door Close Switch (They are on the chassis side and are pressed when the door is closed) a good give away is that the dome lights wont go off if you close the door.
Next is to check the Hood Switch, Which by all my Honda & Acura Experience is the main culprit for Alarm Related issues.

Try those and comeback with results.
I opened and closed all doors and trunk and hood and even gas cap door.

The door close switches seem to be working fine. The dome lights always turn off normally so the car is recognizing when the doors are closed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is how I would troubleshoot it

First, I would want to know for sure if the system is actually arming or not. Lock the car (twice) and verify that the blinking red light (system armed) indicator is blinking. I do it a little differently though, to test alarm systems, I actually arm the system while I am still inside the car and then open the door (put ear plugs on before you do this). If the alarm goes off, it is working fine and the buzzer, horn, chirper, etc is my culprit.

If the system is arming fine, there are few things to check. First, the two pushes must be within 2 second of each other and some times (specially with low remote battery) it would take some finessing to get the sequence right.
Also, in some cars the chirp mode can be turned off completely. I am not sure about yours but you can give the dealer a call and check or read your owners manual to see if your remote can be programmed this way.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is how I would troubleshoot it

First, I would want to know for sure if the system is actually arming or not. Lock the car (twice) and verify that the blinking red light (system armed) indicator is blinking. I do it a little differently though, to test alarm systems, I actually arm the system while I am still inside the car and then open the door (put ear plugs on before you do this). If the alarm goes off, it is working fine and the buzzer, horn, chirper, etc is my culprit.

If the system is arming fine, there are few things to check. First, the two pushes must be within 2 second of each other and some times (specially with low remote battery) it would take some finessing to get the sequence right.
Also, in some cars the chirp mode can be turned off completely. I am not sure about yours but you can give the dealer a call and check or read your owners manual to see if your remote can be programmed this way.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks.

I haven't actually tried to set the alarm off. I could try that. Since the car is responding to the second button press, it's not a timing issue. Could a low remote battery be the cause of no alarm confirmation beep if the car is still receiving a signal from the second button press?

Yes - the system does allow one to disable the confirmation beep. However, it had been set to ON since I got the car. I toggled it OFF and back ON when the confirmation beep stopped.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
597 Posts
I have a 2008 MDX Tech and I jack around with my wife after parking and locking up the car. I press the lock button on the remote multiple times faster and slow and I always hear the beep sound.

Then I ask her, do you think it is closed now?

Anyways, It probably is a feature that can be turned on and off. I have a '99 Nissan Quest minivan that the lock-unlock horn confirmation can be turned on-off with the remote by simultaneously pressing the unlock-lock buttons for several seconds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2008 MDX Tech and I jack around with my wife after parking and locking up the car. I press the lock button on the remote multiple times faster and slow and I always hear the beep sound.

Then I ask her, do you think it is closed now?

Anyways, It probably is a feature that can be turned on and off. I have a '99 Nissan Quest minivan that the lock-unlock horn confirmation can be turned on-off with the remote by simultaneously pressing the unlock-lock buttons for several seconds.
Yes, it is a feature on the MDX. It is, and had been before it stopped working, turned ON.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After leaving my car (2013 MDX, Tech package) parked outside (cold and wet weather) for an extended period of time while on vacation, I came back to discover that the alarm confirmation beep is no longer beeping.

I'm referring to the beep that confirms that the alarm was been armed. One press on the remote to lock and another to arm the alarm. But I'm no longer getting that confirmation beep.

And yes, the setting for the alarm acknowledgement is currently (and was always) set to beep when the alarm is set.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
From bad to worse.

The alarm confirmation beep came back - but now the alarm is going off randomly.

So I stopped arming the alarm altogether - and the alarm is still going off randomly! How is that even possible!!?? I just locked all the doors by closing the lock mechanism inside on the driver's door.

An appointment has been booked at the dealer, but I dread the number of days until the appointment with the alarm possibly going off randomly every day (without the alarm even armed!).

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ You cant make the alarm to not arm.. Every time you close the doors and lock it without the key in the ignition it will arm the alarm, This is a feature Honda integrated since 1999.

The only way to disable it is by removing a ground from the system usually by disconnecting the Hood sensor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ You cant make the alarm to not arm.. Every time you close the doors and lock it without the key in the ignition it will arm the alarm, This is a feature Honda integrated since 1999.

The only way to disable it is by removing a ground from the system usually by disconnecting the Hood sensor.

I did not know that.

What then is the point of a second press of the "Lock" button on the remote? Is it just to get a confirmation beep?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yes, It is a confirmation beep only.. With a single touch of lock button it will arm, even if you don´t lock it with the FOB just lock the doors from inside and close the door it will arm the alarm..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SOVLED! Faulty hood latch was culprit

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A faulty hood latch caused the intermittent alarm problems. Replaced under warranty. Problem solved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From bad to worse.

The alarm confirmation beep came back - but now the alarm is going off randomly.

So I stopped arming the alarm altogether - and the alarm is still going off randomly! How is that even possible!!?? I just locked all the doors by closing the lock mechanism inside on the driver's door.

An appointment has been booked at the dealer, but I dread the number of days until the appointment with the alarm possibly going off randomly every day (without the alarm even armed!).
Shoot. I'm having the exact same problems with our 2013 MDX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shoot. I'm having the exact same problems with our 2013 MDX.
Was your problem also the faulty hood latch ? Pshhh, I just bought a 2012 other day. Parked it at work first morning, heard the alarm goin off as i walked away, thought it was me. Then @ 2 a.m things goin off again...2 nights in a row; i popped my latch off today n cleaned it, used my multimeter n got resistance, dunno how many to look for lol, so cleaned it abit more n adjusted the lil metal tab and reinstalled it. See what happens tonight, smh...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts